User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Some INTP's can be so sweet. Honestly, it's not when INTP's are cold that they scare me. It's when they bombard you with seemingly random emotions for no apparent reason that's scary (believe me, it doesn't happen often, but once is more than enough). The repressed passion can be all too intense. Other F's can be intense and it doesn't scare me in quite the same way, because their emotions seem to come from somewhere, seem to match with their personality and tendencies in a way, move in certain ways.
    Heh, you think it's scary to watch? Imagine being on the inside trying to figure out WTF is going on!

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Heh, you think it's scary to watch? Imagine being on the inside trying to figure out WTF is going on!
    lol, such painful memories... after you've done it once, you swear on the memory of that moment that you'd never come out with such a cathartic creepy explosion of feelings ever again. And so a long process begins, whereby your ability to express emotion becomes more and more dull, until you no longer have to force yourself to bottle it inside... you just become a naturally dull person. That is one way to go insane.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    lol, such painful memories... after you've done it once, you swear on the memory of that moment that you'd never come out with such a cathartic creepy explosion of feelings ever again. And so a long process begins, whereby your ability to express emotion becomes more and more dull, until you no longer have to force yourself to bottle it inside... you just become a naturally dull person. That is one way to go insane.
    I think that despite my best efforts, it made me so afraid of this person that I drifted away from them. I kept talking to them for a while afterwards, but somehow my discomfort led to me losing the drive to contact them, even though we had been good friends before.

Here are examples of my reactions to his out burst... it clearly had me on edge too. The person was mostly responding with quotes about the nature of feeling and such, with occasional random smilies. I was mostly talking to myself. It made me very defensive.

"But... do you really have no reason to be saying this or feeling this? How can you just feel something for no reason? Emotions are neuro-chemical states that occur in response to stimuli. So why can't I find the stimuli? It's driving me crazy."

After the person said something about the heart having unknowable reasons:

"The heart doesn't play any role in emotion. It just pumps blood. So if it's not conscious, how can it have reasons?"

"I feel so confused... how can I process or accept something that doesn't make sense?"

"I'm aware that a feeling can exist in a person for no observable or outside reason, but only because I'm aware that a symbol of something, or the thing that indicates it, is not the thing itself. This still doesn't tell me what to feel, but it tells me it's possible. It's not a possibility I'm comfortable with."

MBTI
    ENxJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I think that despite my best efforts, it made me so afraid of this person that I drifted away from them. I kept talking to them for a while afterwards, but somehow my discomfort led to me losing the drive to contact them, even though we had been good friends before.

Here are examples of my reactions to his out burst... it clearly had me on edge too. The person was mostly responding with quotes about the nature of feeling and such, with occasional random smilies. I was mostly talking to myself. It made me very defensive.

"But... do you really have no reason to be saying this or feeling this? How can you just feel something for no reason? Emotions are neuro-chemical states that occur in response to stimuli. So why can't I find the stimuli? It's driving me crazy."

After the person said something about the heart having unknowable reasons:

"The heart doesn't play any role in emotion. It just pumps blood. So if it's not conscious, how can it have reasons?"

"I feel so confused... how can I process or accept something that doesn't make sense?"

"I'm aware that a feeling can exist in a person for no observable or outside reason, but only because I'm aware that a symbol of something, or the thing that indicates it, is not the thing itself. This still doesn't tell me what to feel, but it tells me it's possible. It's not a possibility I'm comfortable with."
    Although I don't think that I've ever responded to emotions in the way that you have described, I think that the rational "talk" that you described above...is really the way that your INTP was trying to make sense of displays of emotion. I find INTPs (and to a lesser degree INTJs) to be so caught off guard by their own emotions...that the person tries to rationalize away...something that isn't capable of being rationalized. Your INTP was trying to use logic to make sense of something that he or she was not capable of understanding any other way.
    It makes for an "interesting" conversation....with a person who is coming from a place of emotion and feeling. I imagine it would be hard for the "feeler" to understand a person who seems to be incapable of emotion. Believe me....I've had the same conversation with an INTP male...and I couldn't understand him! And I've tested as an ENTJ woman...although I think I vascillate back and forth between T and F.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Hmmm. Now I'm going to have to interrogate a certain INTP. The fact that he didn't act scared, that he was totally, blissfully infatuated, scared me to death.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Hmmm. Now I'm going to have to interrogate a certain INTP. The fact that he didn't act scared, that he was totally, blissfully infatuated, scared me to death.
    That sounds rather familiar...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    That sounds sooo familiar! It sounds like me and Dom. I kept it to myself how afraid I was so that I wouldn't convince him he was correct in his fears. We INTP's do that; you won't know unless we want you to. You know that though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

That sounds sooo familiar! It sounds like me and Dom. I kept it to myself how afraid I was so that I wouldn't convince him he was correct in his fears. We INTP's do that; you won't know unless we want you to. You know that though.
    Yes, and I didn't read him as well back then as I do now. Back then I thought he never got angry. Now I know he's angry at himself a sizable minority of his waking hours, just very repressed about it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    infp

I just noticed this thread now! Great stuff!

I always questioned the NF-NT chemistry when I heard about it, but this thread explains it quite a bit with a lot of great examples from people's lives. I can think of some examples from my own life, too (my male ENTP (I think) friends, one who I naturally connected with ever since I met him in grade 3, and the other amazed me since I met him a couple of years ago, and my female ENTP (I think) friend who I've had great chemistry with ever since I met her four years ago or so).

So both of them are ENTP's. Interesting... raises another question.

Is there any kind of trend between how specific NF's and NT's interact with one another? I remember one person saying that INFP and ENTP is like hot chilli peppers a while back (I'm not sure what that means though ). I certainly think that there is something that connects INFP and ENTP, probably NP -the thirst for possibilities and innovative ideas, but I can't really put my finger on it.

So is there anything that connects specific NF's and NT's?

For example, using my own type:

INFP-ENTP
    INFP-INTJ
    INFP-ENTJ
    INFP-INTP

But of course we can't ignore the other types.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm still pretty sure I'm too much for an NT to handle, and not in the good way...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]