User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    I'm so glad I live in an "S world". I don't even know what an "N world" would look like, but if it's an "NFP" world nothing would ever get done and I couldn't mooch off of the SJs.
    I agree! I find it comforting that some people actually like to do practical stuff.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Aren't ENTJS at an advantage with this though? Tertiary Se would simplify stuff somewhat, no? Make it easier to communicate?

Edit: scratch that, that would mean INFPs with their tertiary Si would have that same advantage..nvm
    Yeah, it's a great advantage if you know how to use it correctly. I find it extremely useful in my research work. I constantly need to convince the businessmen and bureaucrats who provide the research funding on why my project should get money. It's pretty easy to tag-team N and S to show them "What the situation is right now" and then "What it could be with my innovation". Problem comes when the boss notices and asks you to 'market' all the other projects in the lab, even those you feel are a waste of time and money
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    It took me a while to realize that a lot of people do not like that freedom. They want or even NEED to be told what to do every step of the way.

I wonder why that is. Really. If I could understand the underlying reason, it wouldn't frustrate me as much.
    A fear of making mistakes could be a factor. If you do things by the book and something goes wrong, you have an 'excuse' to use or something else to blame. If you make your own choices, then you have to face your own mistakes. We're sadly living in a world where mistakes (even small ones) are usually punished and/or ridiculed.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

This thread has made me realize why I <3 the internetz so much. It's dominated by fellow Ners. Makes me think of how awesome real life could be *sighs*.

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    I'm not interested in tangibles like weather which makes the conversation obnoxious.

I had to laugh when I read this. I never pay any attention to the weather and frankly find conversations about the weather with people who do attend to such things to be annoying. But I never before connected this with being a dominant intuition, dislike-of-tangible-details thing. I think you are absolutely right.

I live in the South, and it snowed today which always puts the whole town in a tizzy. People were forming one-hour long queues at the grocery store. Traffic was all knotted up as people scurried about for supplies before the snow storm hit. (Just as an aside, the "snow storm" was two inches of snow that will be melted within 24 hours. LOL!)

I had NOOOO clue it was going to snow. And I really hadn't paid any attention to the bevy of activity around me. Just before the snow started, someone asked me if I were ready for the snow:

Me: "Snow? I didn't know it was going to snow."
    Satellite Install Tech: "What? How can you not know that? That's all anyone has been talking about all day."
    Me: "Look, I try to live my life in such a way that I could care less about the 15 minute doppler satellite advantage."

My ENTP dad who was standing nearby guffawed upon the hearing, then he said, "Good for you!"

Maybe it is an N thing afterall.

Being an N in a S world is a unique experience and I wouldn't want it to be any other way. I think there are two things you must consider here- our relationships with S-types AND our relationships with N-types.

Being in an S-type dominated world:
    It can be frustrating when it sometimes seems that the average person doesn't really "get" you. We tend to have different motivations, perspectives and insights. Once we're done moaning and griping at how misunderstood we are, I find that it makes for quite a fulfilling challenge to try and convey our ideas and intentions to S-types. Often, I find that well-developed S-types value and appreciate N-types very much, at least for our contributions if not for our personalities- and mutual respect is the foundation of any decent relationship.

Even the most counter-intuitive S-type has something about him or her that we as N-types can probably learn from. I have S-type friends whose companionship I absolutely treasure because they keep me grounded, they make me look at things differently and have taught me many lessons which other N-types tend to be somewhat ignorant of.

Meeting other N-types:
    This is my favourite part about being an N-type, which is finding other individuals whom you can relate with at a deeper level than the average person. They're rare- few and far between, but that's what makes the relationships with them so much more important and fulfilling. I am fairly confident when I say that N-types seem to have more meaningful relationships in general, because we tend to be more aware of the big picture. I have witnessed too often the superficial nature of some S-type relationships and I tire of them fairly easily. Other N-types are familiar with and sympathetic to the challenges of living in an S-type world and can provide companionship that is substantially more invigorating in comparison.

Ultimately, life is a unique adventure that has great value in its diversity. Perhaps (and I think this is rather likely) in future generations, the concentration of N-types in society would increase. This has complex implications of every kind, and we could begin an entire new discussion on the topic. As for now, I think as long as we try to build meaningful relationships with everybody around us, try to understand people's motivations without belittling those who are different and seek to learn as much as we can from every experience, we should do okay. It's not inherently good or bad to be unique- it is, above all, an opportunity- and I think we ought to seize it to do the best we can for ourselves and those we care about. The moment you begin to develop a defeatist attitude, you're depriving yourself of a chance to truly enjoy all that life has to offer.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    Aren't universities packed with sensors? I did not get the impression that it was any different then any other setting.
    Actually Intuitives are drawn to university education (which is largely conceptual) in a liberal arts college setting. K-12 education is dominated by Sensors.

The data backs this up. I've read some articles that say that in a traditional liberal arts private college upwards of 85% of the professors are Ns. This makes sense really. Come on. How many Sensors are gonna get a Ph.D. in Philosophy?

Here's an interesting article on this subject for faculty members on a Georgia State University website.

The majority of university faculty are intuitive. CAPT reported that almost 64% of 2,282 faculty are intuitive. We obtained the same percentage from our business faculty data base.
    I would guess that the percentage of Intuitives would be higher if you weeded out all the Food Science degrees which as a large, state, mostly commuter school in Atlanta, GSU has plenty.

I love to teach, but the idea of teaching K-12 students appalls me. They don't even offer the subjects I'd want to teach in high school. I was built to be a professor and spent many years in graduate school studying esoteric things in pursuit of this career.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    I'm so glad I live in an "S world". I don't even know what an "N world" would look like, but if it's an "NFP" world nothing would ever get done and I couldn't mooch off of the SJs.
    Adoamros, you rock! So true. So true. I'm laughing so hard right now.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    No.

As I age, I find that a natural balance seems to be taking place; one that forges intellectual abstraction with fact-based analysis. I'm grateful, therefore, that I encountered the MBTI and directed it as a lens to enhance what I would have formerly considered deliberate puerility - certainly to my loss.
    This. I'm surprised more people didn't agree but whatevs.

I feel like there are so many more salient characteristics to my identity and the identity of others that being a "sensor" or "intuitive" pales in comparison. I can't help but read some of the responses in this thread and take mental note of the people who feel like they're at some disadvantage because of there theoretical mental modes and shuffle them off to some category of having poor relational skills. Yes, I know judgmental, but I feel like this is a judgmental thread.

I suppose I look at this from a heuristic POV. I would ask those people who feel like they're disadvantaged to sit down and make at list of their status markers: race, sex, socioeconomic status, culture, nationality, health and wellness of being, freedom from violence, geographical location, education, access to technology (you at least have internet to post on an internet forum!), access to clean water and food, etc. See how you really fare in comparison to other people and figure out in what ways are you truly (dis)advantaged.

I just view being S or N as an insignificant and unremarkable way of categorizing a person and it says very little about you. I personally find out more meaningful information about a person knowing they grew up in Ethiopia and came to America when they were 12 and talking about how their previous life and how they adjusted than them telling me they're an ENFP.

The main thing I think about on a global scale is when I think about being an African-American woman I turn right around and think to myself well at least you're American. And that means a lot. It implies many things about my status that 85% of the world cannot claim. And then I think about my socioeconomic status within America and in reality I'm doing even better. But still if I continue on that vein similar to this thread I could just as easily think I'm sick of being a person of color in a white world. I'm sick of being a woman in a man's world. If I were homosexual I could say the same thing about a heterosexual world, or even religion or being rich, poor, or middle class. This could be political and have more relevance, meaning, and effect more people in a visceral way.

Casca and CzeCze mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I suppose if I were to assign a typological reason to this I am a Fe-dom and I have no problem adjusting my communication levels to people so it just doesn't ping me in the way it pings some people in this thread. I know how to find people I click with on a more substantial level and I don't expect to have anything more than a superficial relationship with 99% of the people I come into contact with. For those that I do have more substantial relations with, well that just requires more work and investment period.blank.

I know how to extract a satisfying interaction from about 75% of the people I have those superficial (not superficial as in fake, but superficial as in casual) interactions with. I don't mind chit chat and small talk. To me it's nothing like shared laughter with a group of strangers to momentarily bind us together. I don't mind ephemeral connections to people that break even after a few minutes of bonding. To me it seems more of a matter of being able to extract meaning from those interactions rather than rendering most interactions as meaningless.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by visaisahero View Post
    Being an N in a S world is a unique experience and I wouldn't want it to be any other way. I think there are two things you must consider here- our relationships with S-types AND our relationships with N-types.

Being in an S-type dominated world:
    It can be frustrating when it sometimes seems that the average person doesn't really "get" you. We tend to have different motivations, perspectives and insights. Once we're done moaning and griping at how misunderstood we are, I find that it makes for quite a fulfilling challenge to try and convey our ideas and intentions to S-types. Often, I find that well-developed S-types value and appreciate N-types very much, at least for our contributions if not for our personalities- and mutual respect is the foundation of any decent relationship.

Even the most counter-intuitive S-type has something about him or her that we as N-types can probably learn from. I have S-type friends whose companionship I absolutely treasure because they keep me grounded, they make me look at things differently and have taught me many lessons which other N-types tend to be somewhat ignorant of.

Meeting other N-types:
    This is my favourite part about being an N-type, which is finding other individuals whom you can relate with at a deeper level than the average person. They're rare- few and far between, but that's what makes the relationships with them so much more important and fulfilling. I am fairly confident when I say that N-types seem to have more meaningful relationships in general, because we tend to be more aware of the big picture. I have witnessed too often the superficial nature of some S-type relationships and I tire of them fairly easily. Other N-types are familiar with and sympathetic to the challenges of living in an S-type world and can provide companionship that is substantially more invigorating in comparison.

Ultimately, life is a unique adventure that has great value in its diversity. Perhaps (and I think this is rather likely) in future generations, the concentration of N-types in society would increase. This has complex implications of every kind, and we could begin an entire new discussion on the topic. As for now, I think as long as we try to build meaningful relationships with everybody around us, try to understand people's motivations without belittling those who are different and seek to learn as much as we can from every experience, we should do okay. It's not inherently good or bad to be unique- it is, above all, an opportunity- and I think we ought to seize it to do the best we can for ourselves and those we care about. The moment you begin to develop a defeatist attitude, you're depriving yourself of a chance to truly enjoy all that life has to offer.
    Visaisahero, that is one of the most thoughtful, touching, profound things about Jungian typology I have EVER read.... and I do not say this lightly. Thank you for posting.