User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Results 161 to 170 of 206

  1. #161
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,003

    Default

    Question to you: What if I, as an ISFP (and you knew my type) came to you (The OP) for advise about majors etc. I let it slip that I'm majoring in social work/sociology (one of those, that would be a topic of conversation). What would you say? That's a field that revolves around a lot of theory.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  2. #162
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Upon reading this, I think of what one of my best friends (and an INFP, and a gay man) always says to me. "I'm sure there are some straight guys that have slept with other men. But, who you sleep with doesn't make you gay. It's who you fall in love with that makes you gay. Our sexual orientation is in our head."

    Said in another way, there is a HUGE difference between an INFP who's trying to act like an ENTJ and an ENTJ.

    Just because one random ISFP has a degree in philosophy (and kudos to them), doesn't negate the fact that getting a Ph.D. in philosophy means dedicating one's creative energies to everything that is not S.
    Most sensors have one trait in common with them, which other intuitives sometimes might not share, and that is the whole seeking information that has practical relevance to their own lives. In that regard, it make sense that people who seek out information for the sake of information are more likely to be drawn to staying in the academic profession than it's peers.

    There's other conclusions I could have drawn out first before jumping to the idea that it's because sensors don't like the academic environment. One would be that the field is already dominanted by intuitives, therefore generating the stereotype of the 'Insane/Clumsy/Weird Professor' thus pushing away a large amount of students. An example similar to this would be the whole 'Physics/Mathematics/Engineering dominated by the male society and Psychology/Biology containing a larger proportion of female students'. However all this suggests that there is a clear distinction between N-S and that other people can easily recognise it.

    Another idea is the labels that are given out to individuals. You could argue that 'weird/different' is given out because people genuinely are, however at the same time, another person could argue that these label reinforce/exaggerate the differences in people causing them to self-identify as 'rather different to the norm'. This self-identification, while generating the feelings of isolating could potentially mean that people either a) Go to one extreme in trying to re-intergrate themselves or b) Likely to accept that they are just different.

    It's possible those that have been outcasted or given a sense of isolation are more willing to be independant and not be afraid of devianting from the norm of society. Essentially, despite the whole 'Academics are sad people', it also creates the whole 'Geek Pride' which is seen alot on the internet culture. All these complaints about sensors not understanding theory, it's just another variation of the complaint I constantly see on the internet 'Most of society is just stupid and blindly doing things'.

  3. #163
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    Well this is an interesting thread.

    Please don't act like N's are hard done by. You have the same opportunities like everyone else, some have made it sound like some kind of disability or a godly like status .. Yayyyyy, you are 's'pecial

    Personally, with some N's i have no communication problems whatsoever, we speak about Philosophy, psychology, life, politics etc. I am capable of having a deep debate. If however i am taking to an N and trying to find some kind of conclusion, it doesn't happen very often. Much to my frustration. Does this mean though that i didn't enjoy talking to someone with a different style, oh gosh, no. I don't want everyone to be like me (a Sensor) because it would be boring. How am i supposed to work on my weaknesses if i am not given the opportunity. It is all a matter of perception.

    Just because i don't question why i do something and instead go with my gut instinct, doesn't mean what i am doing is wrong. I am happy to do it my way.
    I always test as S, but because i can't be bothered to look into cognitive functions (to abstract for me), a friend who is into it has told me that i use my Ne or Ni (whichever it is) far more than i give myself credit for. I am just to busy living my life, trying not to over think things, to pay attention to my intuitive side.

    Oh and if i was to open my own business i would definitely want an N as my business partner. I'll look at the here and now and they can be future focused. Sounds like a smart plan to me, got to keep all options open.

    Lastly to the person who is proclaiming to be 100% Intuitive .. Are you a mass of pure energy or something? How do you live without your senses?
    That must be a hard life
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

  4. #164
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post

    Lastly to the person who is proclaiming to be 100% Intuitive .. Are you a mass of pure energy or something? How do you live without your senses?
    That must be a hard life
    Being a pure intuitive is a rather adventurous life actually.

    -- Cars come screeching to a halt whenever I cross the street with my head in the clouds ...literally looking up at the clouds, mind you, I have a penchant for them.

    -- I walk right past acquaintances, and fail to notice unless I get a swift kick to the shin.

    -- Walking more than two steps with liquid food in my hand will inevitably result in said liquid being spilled. If Sherlock were to inspect my carpet, they will tell the tale of spilled milk, spilled soup, spilled grape juice...

    -- On Christmas eve, I am visited by the Ghosts of Stubbed Toes Past.
    The purple sun won't heal my purple bruises :ouch:

  5. #165
    Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Well yeah, the list of strategies for dealing with Ss makes them sound like retarded 8 year olds. It's kinda silly.
    Now see, I don't agree with this at all. I've found it very useful. Very accurate and a sign of respect to S's that you are willing to tailor your N approach.

    I think I'm going to start another thread called "The Proper Care and Feeding of Sensors: A Manual for Intuitives." This will not be an S bashing thread. It will be an honest and kind forum for S's to talk about how they would like N's to treat them.

    <----- I love me some Sensors

  6. #166
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,531

    Default

    What's an "S" world? Or an "N" world for that matter? This forum segregates the divide much more than the real world ever does.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  7. #167
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    What's an "S" world? Or an "N" world for that matter? This forum segregates the divide much more than the real world ever does.
    Bravo.

  8. #168
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    It's an arbitrary line that nonetheless seems to be grasped well enough.

    Why hand out kudos for noting the obvious -- that all frameworks and boundaries are choices? That's a given, right? If it's a useful frame of reference for a discussion, we keep it; if not, we ditch it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #169
    Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    950

    Arrow

    The purpose of this thread was to evoke discussion among Ns about the trials and tribulations of dealing with Ss. I also asked Ns to share any tips on how to bridge the S/N communication gap. Often Ns don't understand / feel different from Ss. And since Ss make up about 80% of the population, I don't think it untoward to have a forum for discussing the unique challenges Ns sometimes face.

    I have come to appreciate the Sensors in my life even more since I now better understand where they are coming from (thanks to MBTI theory). Much to my dismay, several Ss have said they feel like this thread is about S bashing which was never the intent. Which is why I started this thread:

    There are undeniable and profound differences between Ss and Ns, but Sensors bring a lot to the table. This thread looks at these same issues from a different angle. The focus is on what Ns like about Sensors. And it asks for Ss to give Ns who want to improve their S/N interactions some suggestions.

  10. #170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    This is just one of those things... how do you really know that these people are intuitives? How can you know that you aren't just labelling everyone you relate to an intuitive via confirmation bias? This happens a lot I've noticed, hell some people still think I'm an INFP.
    You are right in saying that we shouldn't be generalizing- I'm not saying that all the people I relate to best are N-types and all the people I relate worst to are S-types. But there is most definitely a strong co-relation. It just so happens that I don't just label people, but I discuss MBTI's types and functions with them to If I had to give you a rough breakdown of all my close friends I spend a lot of time with and relate to, they are:

    INFJ (girlfriend- obviously very close)
    INTP (mentor, long time friend- very close)
    ENFJ (late-night chit-chat buddy- very close)
    ISTJ (close friend; been through thick and thin- but can't stand each other lol)
    INFJ (close friend- can relate)
    ENFP (close friend- can relate very much)
    ENFJ (close friend- can relate)
    ISTP (friend I see often- can relate)
    INFP (friend I see often- can relate)
    ESFJ (friend I see often- cannot really relate)
    ESFP (bandmate/close friend- cannot really relate anymore)
    ESFJ (bandmate/close friend- respect, can relate somewhat)

    ... most of my close friends are N-types, and this is not me typing them as such- if you're a close friend of mine you definitely know all about MBTI (Ne-dom, I can't help it). I do have several S-type friends who I am close to, but often more out of shared experience, trust and respect than out of any natural affinity of sorts.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFJ] Been Gone; But Sick of Being an ENFJ
    By Desperado44 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 10:46 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Are you sick of beng an S on an N forum?
    By BlackCat in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 02:57 PM
  3. Do you rule someone out of being an INXJ if they're quirky/funny/really weird?
    By SuperFob in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 06:29 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO