User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If you think that MBTI is about predicting behavior, you are greatly mistaken. That's what the enneagram is for. MBTI is purely about how people think, the enneagram basically covers how people present how they think and how they react to things and cope with things.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    If you think that MBTI is about predicting behavior, you are greatly mistaken. That's what the enneagram is for. MBTI is purely about how people think, the enneagram basically covers how people present how they think and how they react to things and cope with things.
    Surely there is a correlation between what people think and do. Especially when stressed so there is not so much time for thinking. Are you saying all people are fake?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    Surely there is a correlation between what people think and do. Especially when stressed so there is not so much time for thinking. Are you saying all people are fake?
    Well of course people's thinking presents itself to the outer world (that's why it's possible to type people based on interactions using MBTI etc). But there are differences in how you think and how your thinking is presented and what your behavior is like, and that's how the two systems differ. The functions are just ways of thinking, really. What made you think I was saying that people are fake? lol

And the enneagram covers those things! When stressed and you don't have much time to think. Kinda sorta, but not wholly. The rest is human instinct.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Then why are MBTI tests based on behaviour?

And how can the way somebody thinks not be inextricably tied to their actions?

And theoretically, how could we define the way somebody thinks if it didn't have any effect on reality? :s I know I couldn't. The functions descriptions are far too vague for that. It's only through seeing them played out that you can really distinguish one from the other.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

^^To add to Blackcat's posts, I view mbti as nothing more than a categorization system - 16 general 'trends' of being, if you will. It gives you a general notion/idea of what makes a person tick. Ennegram is a second layer you can put over mbti: It addresses different things, and it, in conjunction with mbti, gives you a fuller picture of who a person is.

Basically, yeah, mbti gives you an idea. But not the complete idea. INFJ's of different ennegrams can come across vastly differently. For example, in many ways I don't relate well to typical type-4 perceptions/concerns, although probably the bulk of INFJ's fall under type 4.

Then throw in cultural influences/nurture (how you were raised)/life experience, and you have a whole slew of other things going on. Then add individual idiosynchrocies. Oh, and also throw in non-mbti psycholocial things: depression, narcissism, anxiety, and the like.

Mbti is the icing on the cake.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Then why are MBTI tests based on behaviour?

And how can the way somebody thinks not be inextricably tied to their actions?

And theoretically, how could we define the way somebody thinks if it didn't have any effect on reality? :s I know I couldn't. The functions descriptions are far too vague for that. It's only through seeing them played out that you can really distinguish one from the other.
    Well it DOES have an affect on reality, it's just different. As I said before, the way people thinks tends to surface through the enneagram.

How about this. Think of someone's personality as a tool. MBTI/typology is the tool itself, the enneagram is how the tool is used. So elements of both how someone think and how this thinking is applied in the world are in both systems.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    They might be Ns, but their more Js. Didn't you ever notice how anal the huge majority is about timelimits, structure etc etc. I'd say 90& of all people in academia are ESFJs. The higher levels it will deflate somewhat, and mix in with other types. But not by much. I'd burn the whole system to the ground. Now, this is my honest opinion
    LOL! Greetings fellow P. Yeah, J's can make me nervous. And structure can make me feel suffocated... so I'm right there with you... you damn anarchist / arsonist.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post
    No, I think the truth is that most professors in four-year liberal arts collages that paid to take that test prefer to think of themselves as Intuitives.
    Uh..... I don't think this appropriate forum to debate the scientific method, but after reading several studies in scientific journals, I assure you that the researchers were well-trained and knew how to try to minimize such skewing of the data.

Plus, I've gotta remind you that almost no S is going to get a Ph.D. in Philosophy and dedicate their life to teaching it.

And while I believe in going where the chase leads me, it's just common sense (at least for me) who was a graduate student and has interacted with a gazillion academics. Publishing in journals, speaking at conferences, developing new and innovative theories.... this has got N written all over it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

^The IS_Ps are darker than the EN_Js in that chart... The IS_Js are the same color as the EN_Js. That's a cool site though.
    Blackcat, how very S of you to notice such details. I never let the details get in the way of my story. Ha ha!

MBTI
    ISFJ

Nope. But I am sick of a being a P in a J world.