User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

^The IS_Ps are darker than the EN_Js in that chart... The IS_Js are the same color as the EN_Js. That's a cool site though.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    I'd say it's Judging perceiving mode that is the greatest difference. Then it's F/T, I/E and last N/S.
    Well, I guess I would say that the answer to this question about which preferences are the most differentiating is a tricky one because it all has to do with how one defines "the greatest difference." I appreciate your honest feedback.

I would argue that the S-N preference is the most important / greatest difference because it's about our starting point. This preference controls the kind of information we take into our consciousness. After the information is in our brains, only then can we make decisions upon it (T-F) and organize it (J-P).

Kiersey would agree. For Keirsey, the Intuitive-Sensor dichotomy is the most important difference two people could have. And he argued, it is so important that it controls the second most important difference. For Intuitives who frame information abstractly, the second most important dichotomy is the focus on people vs. focus on task (T-F). For Sensors who focus on tangible reality, the second most important difference is the emphasis on structure vs. process (J-P).

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    It is a fact that most professors in four-year liberal arts collages are Intuitives.
    No, I think the truth is that most professors in four-year liberal arts collages that paid to take that test prefer to think of themselves as Intuitives.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm more concerned with being a woman in a man's world.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    make me a sandwich.

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    You should be most concerned with being an N woman in an S patriarchal world.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    make me a sandwich.
    It's not the domesticity I have a problem with. I'm traditional in that sense. It's the inequity I've encountered in my limited experience in the workforce.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ still, what's happened to good manners? It's "make me a sandwich, please" ...
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    You are an N, but you fail to see the big picture of your "big picture ability," that is, to use to contribute to the quality of life, for all people. These functions aren't meant to cause separations or class distinctions. MBTI is first and foremost to understand self, and then understand others- strenghts and weaknesses. Use it to find your niche in the real world. Sensors dominate, but there's a place for all types.
    Zthe411, I appreciate your comments, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your police work there.

MBTI is many things to many people. You say that my big picture ability is to contribute to the quality of life of all people. Who says? That's not on my MBTI agenda. (I do want to be a positive force in the world, but that is not why I'm interested in Jungian Typology.)

I agree with you 100% that these functions aren't meant to cause separations or class distinctions. Nor are they meant to erase separations or class distinctions. MBTI is a conceptual framework for understanding the cognitive processes all humans have. What we do with this information is up to us.

I choose to use my understanding of temperament in the way a personality psychologist might: viz., to understand and predict behavior. I also use it to navigate my relationships.

I've noticed that a lot of people on this forum are deeply offended by the concept that our MBTI type controls are behavior and we have no free will. These people warn of using MBTI type to pigeonhole people, oversimplify complex human experiences, and limit expectations. I agree completely that this is a misuse of Jungian typology. But that is not what I'm doing here.

It is a universal human truth that if you can figure out what makes a person tick (i.e., their value system), then you can very accurately predict their behavior. This truth is supported by my personal experiences as well as scientific data.

People make all kinds of decisions on how to act and what to think. But what is a constant across all people, is the individuals tendency to act in their own best interests as defined by their value system. Let's consider this real world example:

For ENFPs, who highly prize intense emotional connections with their friends and loved ones, INFJs are going to be an appealing choice when choosing a mate. Is this a generalization? Yes. Does it mean that ENFPs will always marry INFJs? Heck no. But I'll tell you this: of the 7 INFJs I know, five of them are in serious relationships (lovers, best friends, business partners) with ENFPs. Given the statistical rarity of both these types, this cannot be a coincidence.

So I remind everyone who would warn me of using MBTI in the "wrong way" that each of us is a delicate mix of the cards we are dealt and the cards we choose to play.

Sometimes I feel like a prisoner of my genetic fate. For example, of the four serious dating relationships in my life two were with ISTPs - my dual per Socionics, one was with an INFJ, and one was with an INTJ. (INFJs and INTJs are per many MBTI theorists, an ENFPs ideal match.) BTW, except for my current significant other, all these relationships pre-dated my understanding of ideal temperament matches. I find it tremendously creepy that there is definitely a pattern to the MBTI type of the people I chose and the people who chose me.

Nonetheless, I do have free will. I will reveal the content of my character by the cards I choose to play. For example, I met an INFJ a while back for whom I immediately developed the worst crush. I felt like a teenager complete with stammering in the INFJ's presence. That relationship never came to fruition because I observed some red flags and chose to walk away. (Damn, I still wish that I could have taken him for a test drive, but I digress.)

Don't let your earnest and well-intentioned desire to not oversimplify complex human interactions sabotage your ability to use MBTI as a powerful tool however you see fit to use it.

But for academics (i.e., professors and lecturers), these careers are dominated by Intuitives. This is not a matter of my opinion, btw.
    They might be Ns, but their more Js. Didn't you ever notice how anal the huge majority is about timelimits, structure etc etc. I'd say 90& of all people in academia are ESFJs. The higher levels it will deflate somewhat, and mix in with other types. But not by much.

I appreciate your honest feedback.
    I'd burn the whole system to the ground. Now, this is my honest opinion