• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] An NF Curse?

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Is this just an NF thing, or is it a strong F thing?

Here I quote from Kiersey's Please Understand Me II, where he compares SPs' attitude toward errors to that of the NFs, saying, "...nor do they live in anticipation of mistakes as their abstract opposites the idealists do...." THAT'S IT!!!

Part of what contributes to my depressive outlook on life is my high perfectionistic standards joined to my belief that I will probably fail at what I do. I have hardly ever failed at anything I have tried, but I believe that I have a greater chance to do badly than to succeed. I have a high GPA, and yet each time I sign up for a class all I can see is myself bringing home an F on the last day of class. What on earth?!?!?

I would have thought it was just my weirdness, except that it is the same for my ENFP mother. Is it just my family? What do y'all think?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I do fear making mistakes. Sometimes it takes forever for me to try or learn something new because of that fear. Often I doubt myself so much that I will make very slow progress, if any, at what others may consider very simple tasks. If anyone shows the least bit of doubt in my ability then it will double my anxiety. But I have gotten much better. There was a time when I was so nervous about driving to places that I would have my friends drive me there in my car. :blush:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
It has been my experience that NFs can be both paranoid and very negative.
I always attributed that to the ST shadow being too narrow minded though.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
I am also anticipating problems the whole day through. But not necessarily in a negative way. I've even turned it into my job as IT manager/troubleshooter, for now.
There's a thin line between being intuïtive and being paranoïd. More like the downside of the medal rather than a curse. I am personally getting better at directing my intuition over the years and through experience. I suspect NFs are often latebloomers.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I definitely experienced that a lot when I was younger, and still do to a slightly lesser degree now. I've viewed some things from a "I'm going to fail" outlook, although that didn't always happen. Right now my biggest worry is the future. I'm being drown in high expectations to go to university and all that usual stuff, but at this point I have no idea what I want to do. I often worry I won't do well enough in school next year to get into a school and that my family will abandon me or something because of it. I sometimes worry I'll get into a school, but fail when I get there due to lack of motivation, and having only gone there because I was told to and not because of an honest desire to study something. I'll worry about car crashes, tornadoes, the plague :)P) ect.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
GZA, it sounds like you worry just like me. It's more fun when you are actually in college, NOT.

Xander, would you elaborate on the ST shadow? What does that mean?

Kiddo, it sounds to me like you are close to being an NT in your desire to be good at what you do. Are you borderline F/T?

Vince, what do you mean by being a late bloomer? Personality-wise, how would this manifest?

Thanks to all for posting!

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Fear of making mistakes pretty much dictated my whole highschool/undergrad years. I'm thinking of putting a stop to this irrational fear. *sigh*

The ST shadow thing make sense to me... especially with ESTP being my shadow type. Coming up with twisted logic to explain irrational thoughts about stuff that's going to happen. NFs and paranoia goes hand in hand. I although I sometimes wonder why does paranoia have to be in a negative direction. Why can't it be about happy stuff?

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
I guess we all share the same curse. My main problem is that I always set my standards kind of high. I remember when I used to go to the gym with a trainer and he always told me that I worked hard but one time he told me to just chill and got pissed off and yelled at me because he said that I was being unreasonable with way I was working out and my expectations where not reasonable even though I busted my ass there.:cry: After that I learned to set more realistic goals for myself. I try to keep things in perspective as much as I can but I still find myself dissappointed a lot of times because things don't live up to my expectations.:cry: Yes and I can get depressed because of this as well.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, no. This doesn't apply to me.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
Vince, what do you mean by being a late bloomer? Personality-wise, how would this manifest?

Well, I know I am a late bloomer. It might be a personal thing or just an INFJ thing.
I'm 28 and pretty succesfull at what I do, now, but it took me longer to find my niche, than average, I supose. Between age 18-24 I wasn't half as mature and socially skilled as many other people of my generation. I think it might take an INFJ longer to mature or to develop, because business and carreer wise we live in an (E)ST-world. With that I don't want to generalize anything, just giving my input. INFJ's in particular are also rather spiritual in nature and let's just face it, society is very material. I took me long to get used to that, to learn to play the game.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
i think NF just goes through more ups and downs than other types

a lot of that probably depends on how their love life is going at the time

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Is this just an NF thing, or is it a strong F thing?

Don't know, but I know it's true for me and I'm NF and strong F.

You describe typing as INFJ and you mentioned your ENFP mother. There were other NF types who responded here, but I noted a strong infj response.

I wonder if there is a particular manifestation to this in types with dominant intuition combined with feeling. Perhaps something with the intuition seeing many possibilities and feeling judgement getting fixated on the negative ones in an act of proactive emotional self-protection?

When I was still at the infp forum, I spoke once of paralyzing perfectionistic fear. The only other person there who seemed to resonate strongly with what I was speaking of was another infj mistyped as infp.

Perhaps all NF's struggle with a strong negative emotional response to the idea of making errors, but it manifests differently in different NF types?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I only find it a curse when I don't just keep it as a note and try anyway. I find that once you realize how much of a beautiful safety net it is you tie it up under you and do the high flying feats anyway. It can help see the dangers as you go so you can dodge them as you focus on the goal ahead. I say it's a beautiful gift that one has to learn how to use properly; though I'm not the best at it, I can already see some positive results.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I wonder if there is a particular manifestation to this in types with dominant intuition combined with feeling. Perhaps something with the intuition seeing many possibilities and feeling judgement getting fixated on the negative ones in an act of proactive emotional self-protection?

When I was still at the infp forum, I spoke once of paralyzing perfectionistic fear. The only other person there who seemed to resonate strongly with what I was speaking of was another infj mistyped as infp.

Perhaps all NF's struggle with a strong negative emotional response to the idea of making errors, but it manifests differently in different NF types?

Quite possibly. Though I would possibly change that to all* INF's. I'm not sure ENF's are as prone. (They may still exhibit it, but I'm guessing it would be much less intense than an INF's response.) I'm a pretty strong F, too, but I've never really feared making mistakes, exactly. In fact, I'm probably on the more reckless side - doing something and then later going, oops, that probably wasn't the best approach.

And there's no way I'm a perfectionist. ;)

And I notice the only other ENFP posted on this thread (Niffer) didn't see it applying to her, either.

*And by all I mean most. Most INF's. Let's not generalise, folks! ;)

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Quite possibly. Though I would possibly change that to all* INF's.

Actually I have a suspicion that INFP's experience is different as well. I'm not sure though and know an ENFP's or ENFJ's experience even less well. I do have some sense of shared experience here among the INFJ's though.

Yet, Kiersey did say it was an NF phenomenon so it left me considering that all NF's experience some form of what was described, but the experience is different enough that there may not be much felt resonance between them even if they come from a shared similar core experience.

Basically I don't know. :) I just resonated personally.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry for not being so depressing on my outlook? :cry:

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
Fear of making mistakes pretty much dictated my whole highschool/undergrad years. I'm thinking of putting a stop to this irrational fear. *sigh*
I remember discussing "self-talk" in a college class: the things you say to yourself in your own mind, and how your life might be different if you told yourself different things. There was a long list of possible things people tell themselves and seem to accept as true. One of them was "It's terrible to make a mistake."

When I read it, I stared in amazement. What? Huh? You mean it's possible that making mistakes ISN'T terrible? It's possible that I don't have to crucify myself every time I make a mistake? How on earth would that work?

I'm trying, but now I tend to become angry with myself for forgetting to remember not to become angry with myself over mistakes. :doh:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The below may seem like a mass of contradictions, but... ;-)

I do hold myself to high standards. As in, I expect a lot out of myself. I can be pretty hard on myself (in terms of my how I view myself and interactions with others), and probably don't cut myself enough slack half the time.

But I don't have something innate within me where I feel that I'm going to fail at whatever I do. I have a reasonable amount of confidence in many of my abilities - the 'tangible results' piece.

Beyond tangible stuff, looking more at overall life stuff in the long term...I'm not too worried. Things will work out, even though in the present moment I might be living in a state of confusion or unhappiness or whatever negative emotion. I'm not at all saying that I don't experience despair/anxiety/fear/whatever -- oh, I experience these often. But there must be some deep-seated 'optimism'/'idealism' where I resurface again.

I can only be who I am, and I don't really compare my outward 'successes'/accomplishments against others (although I might be sad or wistful that I operate differently and can't jive or connect easily with many I meet, or might be wistful that life doesn't seem to be as 'easy' or straightforward for me as for many surrounding me); it's always held to an internal standard as far as what I want to achieve for myself. I don't really fret the small stuff, and making mistakes on the little details. I don't mind making a mistake once. If I do it once, ok, fair enough, no biggie. It's if I repeat the same 'mistake', or the same situation occurs repeatedly and I haven't found a 'solution' or resolution to it, then I'll start being hard on myself. Or in terms of my hobby of painting -- I'm incredibly perfectionistic by this point, because I've been doing it for nearly 7 years, so you'd think I'd have it down pat by now. I don't. I still put out really lousy paintings, that put me in really bad moods because I think I shouldn't be making any painting 'mistakes' by this point. ;-)

But there is definitely an element of fear for me in making big life decisions-- and fearing making mistakes with the big stuff --> life direction, job, relationships, etc. I think fear is 'normal' in the sense that anyone will experience it if the person is in any way looking beyond their own comfort zone or way of doing things or existing. But I try not to let the fear rule me - I will take risks and throw myself over the cliff if I feel it'll help me to grow or is something I 'need'. It's not that the fear isn't there...it might be quite powerful in fact - but I sometimes 'ignore' it because I think a greater good will come by me looking past it. For example, right out of college I had the opportunity to go out to Utah for a 5 month job working for a national park. It was June 5ish - I got the offer - I had to provide a response by June 7 on whether I'd be ready/able to be out in Utah by June 16 to start work. You have no idea how scared I was. I was terrified. My heart was thumping. But deep down I *knew* I would regret it if I didn't. I knew I had to go, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't. So, that was my answer. And 10 days later I was driving cross country to the unknown. :) So with the big stuff...I always end up following my gut. :)

Have I made 'mistakes' when it comes to relationships? My assessments? Jobs I've taken in the past?? Oh, definitely. You have no idea one of the jobs I took the first yr out of college - what a clueless fool I was. But you learn from them too, and you might learn more about yourself through the mistakes than if you didn't make them.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not contradictions cas, it's moving past curse to becoming a gift.