User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Autistic NFs?

MBTI
    infj

Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    I know! How is INFJ poster Crabapple autistic, then? What is it like for her? I don't know that they can't feel others' emotions, but they certainly find emotions overwhelming, so they avoid them and talking about them (according to Dr Temple's testimony).
    I agree, I have a friend who has aspergers and she feels like the opposite of me, the opposite of NF.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by hokie912 View Post
    Autism is highly associated with varying degrees of mental retardation
    i do hope you're not in one of the "helping" professions. To liken autism to mental retardation is a huge injustice.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bcvcdc View Post
    i do hope you're not in one of the "helping" professions. To liken autism to mental retardation is a huge injustice.
    I have a 13-year-old autistic sister, and a 9-year-old autistic brother. They'll never be able to live on their own. My sister can't speak at all, and my brother only in single words or short phrases. My sister plays with her own poo. Neither of them have any form of mental retardation (and are actually very intelligent in their own ways). But it's still a very severe disability for them.

My brother and sister are both in special needs classrooms, so my family has met several other families with autistic children. There are many with some degree of mental retardation.

Plus, hokie912 said, "Autism is highly associated with varying degrees of mental retardation"...meaning, many autistic people have some form of mental retardation. Which is true. And is very different from saying, "Autism is like mental retardation," or "Autism is mental retardation."

I could go on and on about autism all day, but I think other people have covered the main things pretty well already.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bcvcdc View Post
    I don't think hokie likened autism to mental retardation, just noted that many autistics also have some degree of mental retardation. Which is true, there's no getting around it. It doesn't make them less of a person, and they still deserve love and respect. IMO, to say that being lumped in with those awful mentally retarded people is a huge injustice, is a huge injustice to mentally retarded people.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    IMO, to say that being lumped in with those awful mentally retarded people is a huge injustice, is a huge injustice to mentally retarded people.
    ivy dear, where did you read this? did someone here write a post calling mentally retarded people awful? show me where, i can't seem to find it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I think it's a challenge to be as PC and sensitive as possible in discussions like this, but I'm glad that what I meant seems generally to have been clear. I wasn't likening autism to mental retardation, simply pointing out the significant overlap in order to address part of the OP's post.

Anyway, I agree with what others on this thread have said about autism not being something that determines MBTI type. Difficulties with communicating and interpreting social cues don't necessarily preclude someone from being any type as there are so many factors involved (perception, decision-making, etc.). There might be type trends, but honestly, the whole typology thing is woefully unscientific, so we'll probably never know.

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

One of the reasons I started a thread about autism and Idealism, is that in some autistic people, the condition seems to give super powers (ever heard of the guy who could make perfect 3D clay animals only by seeing some 2D photos of them in a magazine, and having never seen a cow in real life? He doesn't speak and looks somewhat "retarded," as some have said here, but man, what a stunning gift!).

I was wondering what sorts of of strange abilities an Idealistic autistic would have.