• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJ - ENTP friendships...

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Now back to The ENFJ-ENTP Dynamic.

I can see this being a good match and here's why (Let's see if I can say this without sounding like a complete jerk...):

Both ENFJs and ENTPs are able to manipulate people in pursuit of their goal with such mastery that it's really sort of scary. And frankly, this conscious manipulation of people oftentimes offends my ENFP sensibilities. Nonetheless, I speculate that this ability to manipulate people is the main point of connection between ENFJs and ENTPs. It's sort of like they both believe in working people to get done what needs to be done.

What I find reallllly interesting is that the underlying motivations for manipulation are COMPLETELY different. (All you ENFJs and ENTPs out there, tell me if this doesn't ring true.)

ENTPs and ENFJs have a lot of Fe (Extraverted Feeling) going on. Fe requires a great deal of social manipulation when done right. making sure everything is working smoothly between several different people means that you are attempting to manipulate the situation into something you perceive as socially correct. Fe means an ability to sort of be all things to all people which by definition means there's some degree of "fakeness" that you're putting up.

ENTPs use their "working people" powers to get what they want... oftentimes in a more spur of the moment manner than ENFJ who always has an agenda. For example, ENTP male wants to bed a woman he just met and then really turns on the charm.

ENFJ Executive Director of non-profit makes a snap decision that he doesn't like someone because this person got in a fight with one of the ENFJs inner circle (but the fight had nothing to do with the ENFJ personally or their non-profit). The ENFJ feels he is justified in pre-meditatedly trying to hurt the "offenders" reputation by telling all the right people what a bad person "the offender" is.

The above two examples are real ones based on my own observations. And, of course, not all ENFJs/ENTPs would do these things. I chose to use these extreme examples to illustrate the strong connection ENFJs/ENTPs have about seeing the people they encounter as tools for the agenda au currant.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I can see this being a good match and here's why (Let's see if I can say this without sounding like a complete jerk...):

Both ENFJs and ENTPs are able to manipulate people in pursuit of their goal with such mastery that it's really sort of scary. And frankly, this conscious manipulation of people oftentimes offends my ENFP sensibilities. Nonetheless, I speculate that this ability to manipulate people is the main point of connection between ENFJs and ENTPs. It's sort of like they both believe in working people to get done what needs to be done.

What I find reallllly interesting is that the underlying motivations for manipulation are COMPLETELY different. (All you ENFJs and ENTPs out there, tell me if this doesn't ring true.)

ENTPs and ENFJs have a lot of Fe (Extraverted Feeling) going on. Fe requires a great deal of social manipulation when done right. making sure everything is working smoothly between several different people means that you are attempting to manipulate the situation into something you perceive as socially correct. Fe means an ability to sort of be all things to all people which by definition means there's some degree of "fakeness" that you're putting up.

ENTPs use their "working people" powers to get what they want... oftentimes in a more spur of the moment manner than ENFJ who always has an agenda. For example, ENTP male wants to bed a woman he just met and then really turns on the charm.

ENFJ Executive Director of non-profit makes a snap decision that he doesn't like someone because this person got in a fight with one of the ENFJs inner circle (but the fight had nothing to do with the ENFJ personally or their non-profit). The ENFJ feels he is justified in pre-meditatedly trying to hurt the "offenders" reputation by telling all the right people what a bad person "the offender" is.

The above two examples are real ones based on my own observations. And, of course, not all ENFJs/ENTPs would do these things. I chose to use these extreme examples to illustrate the strong connection ENFJs/ENTPs have about seeing the people they encounter as tools for the agenda au currant.

I think Fe is the least understood function on this entire website. ^^^

EDIT: which makes sense...given the mythology of this websites dark past with INTPc...

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Long, funny story

So ENFJ buddy and I are at this party the other day. He's talking to this one girl there, and I'm noticing the whole time that she's like really into him. After she leaves, I pull him aside and say to him "so, you gonna go hook up?" He's like "nah man, it's nothing like that, and besides, I'm not going to just make an ass of myself by showing up at her place". INTP other buddy joins in, agrees with ENFJ buddy, saying that there's clearly nothing going on there. I tell both of them that they're out of their minds, that she was all over ENFJ buddy, and it would take all of two seconds to take care of everything.

Flash forward to last night, ENFJ buddy invites me out, but I had previous arrangements. I get a text message - "dude, that girl is getting sorta frisky over here, i need your take on this". I'm like "I already told you". He's like "need your help, now"

Luckily, the other arrangements are crashing in flames, so I head over there. I walk in with the biggest shit-eating grin on my face, and go over to some of my other friends. ENFJ buddy's dancing with the girl. They finish up, he pulls me aside and is like "dude, I don't know where this is going, since you saw this coming, I need some advice". I was like "don't worry. Stop thinking so much, just go with it".

He does that, things escalate. He's not sealing the deal, however, so I then pull him aside and give him a plan to close things out, so to speak. Within ten minutes they're making out in the middle of the dance floor. :D

That right there is the good part about the ENTP-ENFJ dynamic. Prim/Tert Fe means both parties are on the same page about things, and that I was genuinely happy for making those two's night better. My Ne meant that I noticed something happening that wasn't immediately apparent. The Fe charm makes the situation arise. Ne tells Ni "just trust yourself, you know what to do", which it pulls off with aplomb. Secondary Ti's able to calm down inferior Ti with a coherent plan. Se gets its satisfaction, while NeTi revels in seeing its work done from concept to execution.

Fun night.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's a great story, OMT, and an freakishly accurate illustration.

This is most exceptionally unfortunate! I do fear however, that if you joined forces with an ENTP female, together, you would take over the world and unless I'm part of the world-taking-over duo I would have to object and defeat you both through vial and unethical techniques such as making you laugh in the middle of important and most sombre speeches! Maybe it's for the best =/

Woman. You will be minez. *presents you with many shiny objects and dances a mighty fackeltanz at you daringly*

I knew I was missing out on something. :( An ENTP girl buddy. My ENFP twin gets on like gangbusters with our ENTJ girl buddy. They play off each other in ways that are so natural and instinctive that I really can't pinpoint just HOW that car "goes" but go it does, tearing down the road. Athena can be as Te-forceful as she wants but Fi-vulnerable with Jaye. It's very sweet. Athena and I have a mutually beneficial, very affectionate, but almost mano-y-mano relationship (she likes it when I tell her all the ways she's right and how I'm going to knock a mutha out with a frozen sea bass for her lol), while Jaye makes her all warm and fuzzy. ENTJ guys have pursued my sister over the years and I'm glad because I like ENTJs. INFJ guys love her to pieces as well.

Nope. One of my best friends is an ENFJ, and out of all my friends, she seems most like my "soul mate".

She's tenacious in that she doesn't let up in arguing with me. :wubbie:

She gets irritated by me, when I insult the Fe. Trivialize that she cares so much about what people may think...purely to get a reaction from her......which she predictably gives......then realizes she took the bait. Then, she's off on a hunt to hurt me, which ends with her exasperated at me, yet, cannot help but laugh.

She picks up quite quickly when I'm trying to play with her by trying to get a rise out of her, as it's my more "childlike" Fe trying to manipulate her fully-grown one. So, she's quite forgiving, and finds it endearing, in a way (if not a bit exhausting sometimes).

However, we can both be very, very stubborn, but, she comes around faster than me, full of hot contempt. And, we duke it out, and, it's like everything is cleansed (negative energy). It's pretty cool.

From my end, I offer her Ti-perspectives on things, which she likes a lot. She likes how "simple" I make issues (break it down), without overanalysis of emotional stuff. The bare bones of things.

That's what gets to me. It's the amazing spotlight power of Ne too, I think, because Jaye can cut through that sort of thing with me. Conversely, I can help her sort through piles of factors that make her brain want to explode with my ferreting Ni.

The other night, she was struck with this idea to make Valentine cards for all the ladies at my mom's work department (four total, including mom), and then something for our grandmother. I was struck with the thoughtfulness, and watched her with interest as she pulled out all of her Victorian paper and whatnots and started making the most marvelous little cards. Trouble reared its head about an hour into the process. She was bogging down in the details.

Even though I felt bad, I told her to give me the mass of little tedious things, which she gratefully did. I cut out all the tiny little objects and embellishments for her. She said later "I'm glad you offered. I have the grand view, but the devil is in the details." I don't mind the tedious stuff for some reason. I like precision and on some level, perfection. Jaye has a lot of great ideas and starts many projects, and I'm there to keep her on task or spur her through the tedious bits. Not that she doesn't have stick-to-it-tiveness, but sometimes these grand ideas come into reality as a forced march.

She and I make a good team. "You and Daddy are like that," she said, making her marvelously artistic arrangements.

"What do you mean?" I asked, razor-blading out yet another gold foil butterfly.

"You're made for it. You know, the introversion. You and Dad are the least likely to give up on a project."

She looked at me, went "UGH! I'd be in hell!" and we started laughing.

Jaye is really good at helping me to see the big picture and remove me from the unruly mob of minutiae where I tend to get lost and never come back out. I just go from one Ni point to the next until someone pulls me out.

What I gain from it - she's pretty much the only person that I want to bounce-off of, in order for me to explore my emotions. I think it's the power of the Fe(backed up by Ni). Others who try to get emotions out of me, I find either irritating, irrelevant and thus flippantly dismiss it and them. Or, close down.

However, if I'm ever in turmoil about grasping (trying to) some feeling, she's the only one I can think of to unload on. All the confusion surrounding what I may or may not feel; with her, I can let my guard down, and know she'll guide me to find the answers for myself. She's a pretty secure safety net for exploring the nuances of my feelings, which I rarely do. So, when I need it/it happens, I'm thankful for that (and her).

I have this dynamic with male ENTPs. I have a very close long time friend that graduated to "family" status years ago. I really do love him in an unfleeting way. He's had a very difficult life, and I know things are bad when he drops his powerhouse frontman (he can get anything done, he's amazing) and the bright banter.

One night he dropped by on the way to a party, and I could tell something was really wrong the minute I laid eyes on him. I pulled him into the house and he tried to act as if he was alright, but he actually broke down in tears. It took everything in my power not to grab him and squeeze him. I was trying to control myself because I didn't want to upset him further or make him feel any more emotionally freaked out. I did take his hand and listened in silence, and made sure to look him straight in the eye and tell him that everything *was* going to be alright and that we loved him. I think it did something to him. He left in slightly better shape, at least calmer, like he had somewhere to go when he was cracking into pieces. I truly do understand him, and I can't say why.

Maybe it's different for men and women. I'll call out this one buddy of mine for when he's just getting completely over the top with the Fe-ishness (missing T, perhaps?), and he'll make a nice dig when I'm out in the ether somewhere. Neither of us get offended, though it seems like neither of us understand where the other person is coming from (though in a sense, we do, it's just that it doesn't seem as real or important to us).

So yeah, to others, it may not seem amicable, but in fact it is - we'll compliment each other's accomplishments, and when that person gets knocked down a peg, we'll build them back up (since we'd rather take shots at each other when we're at our best - that's the fun part!)

This was me with my ENTP ex-bf. It wasn't right unless we were both "on". If I was upset and silent, it freaked him out. One day the worst happened, and I just shut down. Completely. The longer I was limp and going through the motions of my work day without any sign of life, the more freaked out he got. I just didn't care about anything around me. I was gray. By the middle of the shift, he'd grown so alarmed by my ghostly removed presence, that he'd gotten me into a body press with his face right in mine, worriedly demanding to know what was wrong. I didn't want to talk. I didn't want to do anything. But he wouldn't let me go. It was good that he did in that case. I don't think I was going to improve. When I turn to stone, there's something SO wrong that it's dire.

I'd go from being his ready and willing scourge, to turning like a dragon on anything plaguing him.

there's something to this combo. I recently started working with the only real ENFJ I have known again. (Why dont you just give me a list of what you want done and I will just directly answer back, yes I can or no I cannot do that. Stop trying to make me feel like I am failing the group by not doing tasks when I am resourced at 400%then inviting me to meetings on the sly and issues subtle hints that I am now responsible for a task. Guilt? no I wont feel guilty.)

Pinch her boob.

lalalalala....I really like domino though.

Pinch my boob.

Anyways, this entp does have odd interactions with the few entps I have seen her with. It looks loud and slap happy on the surface, kinda like the three stooges. I dunno, just an observation.

That's how my ENTP started things with me. It's this giant sense of circus-y playtime. I'm a cartoon. He's a cartoon. Actually, I thought of him as the ringmaster (with everyone circulating around him) with a Cheshire cat grin and a dirty look in his eye. I had no idea, at first, why I was his Waterloo, but the minute he prodded me and I verbally cut him, it was true love. How does one describe a passionate love kumite filled with bloodshed and affection without giving the wrong idea?

Possibly, I'm among the few that she really trusts. That's because I told her that I know how her charisma works (yeah, Ti getting over analytical, as always), and yet I still end up liking her character (though no real plans of pursuing things further).

Is that tertiary Fe tattling on Fe primary? :D

ENTP-ENFJ relationships are like ENFP-ENTJ relationships, usually effortless if both people are sane. These relationships can be very fruitful and fulfilling.

ENTPs work even better with INFJs, just like ENFPs work even better with INTJs.

I have to say - my ENFP twin *likes* INTJs and has even been attracted to a few, but she's really had a lot of difficulty warming up to them or connecting with them IRL. She picks INFJs constantly, and personally, seems to like the F-F interaction.

socionics actually categorizes ENTp/ENFj as a relation of benefit. The ENTp is the benefactor and the ENFj the beneficiary. The ENFj apparently sees the ENTp as needing help in some areas (probably making eccentricity something socially acceptable/advantageous!...or maybe its dealing with feelings?) and is more than willing to give it for nothing in return at first. Eventually (can be a long time though), either: the ENTp grows suspicious and weary (why is this person being so helpful etc?); or the ENFj grows resentful and weary (why am I doing this, when I get less in return?). The relationship can continue positively then only if the ENTp continues to provide something the ENFj "needs" and thus balances the asymmetric relationship. Presumably, it could be as simple as the ENTp providing an outlet from always having to be "on" or intuitive conversation.

The only "help" I've seen any of them needing is to keep their foot out of their mouths. I don't correct that behavior, I just ignore it. Whatever "help" they require, if they come to me with it, I'll do what I can. That's what friends do. It can be troublesome to get past their exterior persona of control sometimes, but once they get to know you, that will crack or fall to the wayside. You'll see what you need to see. The trick is to love them intensely out of the weakness without letting them drown in their feelings. It's all about keeping them safe, like a guard dog, until they get back on their feet and start kicking some butt again, as they should be, in whatever arena they chose. I hate to see my Athena down too. It's just not right.

I find it almost absurd how much love an ENTP can excite from me and the ardor of it. It's not slavish, but it is something like conjuring the goddess from the volcano and having her fall violently (yet tamely) in love with you. It was the first time I thought, "You can have me on a plate" which was terrifying but natural. A very few INTPs have exerted that sort of control with me, yet only one or two. They back down from me, or try to outrightly control me. I really hate that because I know it doesn't have to be that way. ENTPs go right past that - it's firmly "your my girl", but without the death grip. I can't explain that. If they put their hands on me, I'm not offended. If they tease me, I know the rules of the game. If they look at me a certain way, I know what they're thinking and keep their secret.

Thats all just socionics speculation though. who knows :D. Do any of you ever feel your ENTP/ENFJ relation is a relation of asymmetry?

I've felt "lopsided" with many types. I think it has more to do with personal growth and emotional maturity than anything, and not so much the literal translation of "type". Being taken for granted or run over by ANYONE is exhausting and off-putting.

Point is...I'd like to experience this ENTPness...preferably a hot female one. :laugh:

Me too! :( I'd be unstoppable with a hot female ENTP.

Interesting. Quite.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
LOVE this combo.

Give me an NFJ any day for a friend. I'm probably going to be stuck on a spit by someone, but I find Fe much easier to reason with than Fi. Fi is already decided, and any changes to those beliefs and perceptions result in inner-identity-crisis turmoil. Fe looks outside and is a better listener to those it deams worth listening to.
Admire their skill for simplifying things, as well as their talent for being on the same "page" as I am about people in many ways. We can share a similar gut observation of something, and I get to add in my predictions for what will happen next. The ENFJ flips it inside out with their Ni and we end up giggling like 5 year olds, leaning onto anything to keep from falling down.
It's nice to have a partner in crime who is just as evil/diabolical/empathetic/hopeful as myself.

For the negatives, when they are upset about something they tend to extravert those feelings on others unless they have matured to realizing how much impact they have on the world around them. I tend to take it personally, and think that I have done something wrong and am being punished for it, when really it's just that someone at work that day was being an asshat.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

I find it hard to admit, but I do put on faces. I don't do it in the sense of acting like something I'm not, rather magnifying a certain trait of my personality to get the result I want. Thankfully for me (and humanity in general), I give a lot less of a shit than most people. ;)

And my ENFJ friend does this too, only in a way in which he has this "persona" that he builds up. I understand ENFJs a lot more now. I used to think they were manipulative for their own sake, but it's something more like "selfless manipulation," which sounds pretty bass ackwards, but I've found such is a quality of Ni.

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
...don't seem too friendly to others (constantly calling each other idiots), but are based on a nucleus of common respect. Agree?

I think it's more an ESTJ thing, to call everyone logic lacking idiots behind their backs, but still treat them nicely so they think they get respected. Well at least the ESTJ I know, is definitely T, but is like the most manipulative and double-faced girl I've ever known and applies this technique a lot.

ENFJ girl I know, she's just pretty much a control freak and attention-whore, who tries to put herself in a position that she's the unknown, selfless victim. But at the same time she often thinks and shows, that her views are the most important and correct. Better anyways, because she doesn't hold the grudge.

Well, OK I just described the worst qualities, but of course I also can see the good side of them. I get along pretty well with both of these girls and they're OK for me to spend time with. I just think, that those qualities make me become a bit more distanced and judge their actions and personalities more.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I think it's more an ESTJ thing, to call everyone logic lacking idiots behind their backs, but still treat them nicely so they think they get respected. Well at least the ESTJ I know, is definitely T, but is like the most manipulative and double-faced girl I've ever known and applies this technique a lot.

Nah, ESTJ colleagues usually just get the "you're hopeless" treatment, and I get that back from them. There isn't a whole lot of respect there, to be honest.

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
I have to say - my ENFP twin *likes* INTJs and has even been attracted to a few, but she's really had a lot of difficulty warming up to them or connecting with them IRL.

EVERYONE has trouble connecting with INTJs.

But ENFPs have the best chance of breaking though the ice wall and finding a warm gooey heart underneath it.

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
Nah, ESTJ colleagues usually just get the "you're hopeless" treatment, and I get that back from them. There isn't a whole lot of respect there, to be honest.

Until it's not about the authorities. They treat authorities with respect, but their attitude changes immediately to disrespectful, when they don't get what they want.
But I agree with you, I've often experienced this ''you're hopeless and dumb'', when they don't really get what I'm trying to tell them. And then one day, when they realize they've been wrong and need you and your advice again, they return. I refuse to help them, because I just see them hopeless, but don't say it out loud and of course again I can hear the same- how hopeless, unhelpful and bad person I am, and it's all because I just don't like to deal with dumb, arrogant and irresponsible persons, unless they don't pay me for dealing with them. :huh:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
EVERYONE has trouble connecting with INTJs.

But ENFPs have the best chance of breaking though the ice wall and finding a warm gooey heart underneath it.

Get that disgusting Fi out of my thread!!! :steam::steam::steam:

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
ENFJs have a complex, multi-layered character.

They have a:
1. alone phase - where they get really lonely.
2. One on one interaction phase - where they probe you with their intellect, but a bit wary if you want to probe theirs (well, baing an ENTP, I just have to do it. LOL).
3. The public phase - where they put an SF mask in the public scene.

In theory, NiFe caters to a broad range of social demographics, but based on observing my ENFJ friend, she finds it hard to easily trust someone.

Her natural effortless charm makes most SF girls jealous, and her relationship idealism makes her constantly activate her search mode, jeopardizing her relationships in the process, not to mention that her tendency to befriend her exes adds another layer of complexity to her social sphere.

And too add something to that, she's too image conscious.

I guess the trick here is, show her that you are loyal to her unconditionally; even like her if you want. Feed your Ne with her subtle flirtations, which then boosts your tertiary Fe in the process, but never ever get to a point where you'll interfere with her disposition in trying to cater to a wide range of people. (that is, don't get jealous. You'll lose in the long run).

themarlins

I find it almost absurd how much love an ENTP can excite from me and the ardor of it. It's not slavish, but it is something like conjuring the goddess from the volcano and having her fall violently (yet tamely) in love with you. It was the first time I thought, "You can have me on a plate" which was terrifying but natural. A very few INTPs have exerted that sort of control with me, yet only one or two. They back down from me, or try to outrightly control me. I really hate that because I know it doesn't have to be that way. ENTPs go right past that - it's firmly "your my girl", but without the death grip. I can't explain that. If they put their hands on me, I'm not offended. If they tease me, I know the rules of the game. If they look at me a certain way, I know what they're thinking and keep their secret.

Okay this is scary. i knew an enfj who was like this with me. she swears she isnt like that with anyone else and i believe her. she's a classy woman. i didn't even try to get that response out of her. she took it upon herself to throw herself on my bed and when we had sex she would say "do whatever you want with me" :cheers:.

but seriously, what the heck. i was shocked how she gave herself to me. i barely knew the girl!!!

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne-Ni is one thing, which is pretty much effortlessly self-sustaining, interesting, fun, challenging, etc.

i think the biggest advantage for this specific relationship, and marks how infjs relate to entps but to an even greater extreme for enfjs, is that entps are really helpful for nfjs at reconnecting nfjs to their own experience. what i mean by this is that they provide the relevancy factor in the form of Ti that helps us build outward from our own experience, rather than drowning in representations and essentialized idealized images and at times empty linguistic comparisons. it helps us experience ourselves and our lives from a more subjective perspective, a more at the center of ourselves and at the center of our own universe perspective, where we become more in touch with how the world is organized around us spatially and how we fit into the various systems in which we live. the sense of personal control, personal responsibility, and self-efficacy that is gained, with the Ne-Ni dynamic naturally working at the purpose/meaning question from opposite polarities, makes it really calming, slowing down, opening up, breathing again, etc. the impact on perspective for both parties, i find, to be pretty fucking grounding. kind of oscillating between overwhelming density (Ni) and overwhelming expansiveness (Ne) and coming to a really nice, productive, healthy equilibrium. w infjs both parties work from why so much, from frames of reference, from meaning, that it's so easy to catch each other in motion and communicate with so much purpose so easily. whereas enfjs still get this, but, in comparison, are more action than idea based, which is good when the meaning/purpose connection is good/shared (so it doesn't feel negatively controlling, but rather helpfully motivating and still granting more than enough autonomy--which can be especially tough for a dominant Je type). but that mobilization can be useful too (see john and enfj yoko? in contrast--an infj wouldn't let "all ya need is love" ever get to the presses)