User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Dom-tert loops

  1. #11
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Awhile ago, Udog started a thread about Fi-Si loops for INFPs, as this seems to be a common pitfall that many INFPs fall into. He was discussing what functions could possibly help pull out a person who gets stuck in this loop. (I believe his conclusion was Ne).

    Z Buck's recent thread, as well as OrangeAppled's comment in it about this made me start considering whether every type has a dom-tert loop? If so, what would it look like?

    I know that I have gotten "stuck" in a repeating loop a few times. It particularly occurs when I am trying to write papers that matter to me. I cannot ruthlessly cut out extraneous information and come up with a proper outline, even though I am fabulous at doing it with anyone else's work. This has caused me incredible amounts of time, stress and headache. I also have great difficulties summarizing the plot of a movie etc. Is this Ni-Ti? If so, what function would be the one that would help pull me out of that loop?

    Hi Fidelia, I don't think this sounds like an Ni/Ti loop, but, of course, I don't have much experience about it all yet. Whittling down information and efficiently explaining it in a logical fashion sounds sort-of Te to me. It sounds like maybe you just have a function you are needing to use (Te/Ti?) and it is weak for you, rather than a loop. ?

    Lately I've been working on Ti and it's definitely lazy. I think I am especially weak in it because it's my husband's primary function. For example, learning anything takes me a very long time. I have to read and re-read stuff, which I perceive is my lazy Ti. Yet, my Te is pretty dang efficient because I manage and homeschool a large household, so I've always had to accumulate and organize data efficiently, because I have so little time! I'd imagine your Ti is pretty raucous because you are a musician. Maybe your Te is just needing to be used more than you are used to, and it feels rusty and appears inefficient?

    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  2. #12
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,134

    Default

    I think it is indeed a Ni/Ti loop as Ni sees many possibilities. Ti wants to organize them internally but wants to be really sure that it has it all right before it nails it down. It tends to go with a structure that it has come up with inside and wants to make the information fit it rather than look for a structure from outside to impose on the information given (if I understand it correctly). Then more new possibilities come up and it becomes a huge task to resettle all of the information into new spots in that structure. This only happens though in select circumstances. One of my problems is when things are left too wide open. If there are specific boundaries (I assume kind of like someone else's Te being brought in), I can easily plug the information I have into where it ought to go. (Of course, I may be completely wrong, but...)

    I'm just curious if all of the types though have the same sort of thing going on with them in various permutations.

  3. #13
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Z Buck's recent thread, as well as OrangeAppled's comment in it about this made me start considering whether every type has a dom-tert loop? If so, what would it look like?


    I personally think everyone can fall into their dom-tert loop. For an introvert, it's being closed off to their auxiliary extroverted function (not completely of course, but over-relying on the introverted functions). New info is not taken in for the Pe types to balance their tert-Pi, which is not as "mature" since it's tertiary. I am interested in how this works in the Je types.

    For INFPs, this can mean losing sight of new possibilities and letting Si reinforce bad feelings from the past to the point of withdrawing & becoming cynical, which may appear as a "negative attitude" or "whiny". I've mentioned that for ISFPs, their Fi Ni loop may look like "paranoia", as they're not using Se to perceive reality.

    For extroverts, the dom-tert loop would be lack of introspection and over-relying on their E functions.

    Example: an ENFP would have a Ne Te loop, which may look like over-confidence of perceptions by using Te judgment to back it up (but it's often Te that is not mature, so the external facts get a bit distorted). For both ExFPs, this can read as "bossy" or "opinionated".

    For an ExTP, the Ne-Fe or Se-Fe loop may seem to be a distortion of external morals to suit their Ne exploration of possibilities or the senses; basically, justifying bad behavior.

    Those are just a few ideas....I'd rather hear it from the types themselves.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  4. #14
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Ti-Si loops are common commented on for INTPs.
    There is some discussion here.

    I think some cog func theory is a speculation too far.
    Yeah, there -- Ti-Si is a natural defense mechanism against external stressors. Ne is a "breakout" function.
    But like you say, broad theory might seem sensible but the details of the theory might be far too speculative.

    /////.\\\\\'/////.\\\\\'/////.\\\\\'/////.\\\\\'/////.\\\\\'/////.\\\\\'/////.\\\\\'/////.\\\\\'

    Hmm... Now I find myself mulling over the ISFJ loop, which includes the same functions in the opposing direction: Si-Ti.

    Both loops focus on defending themselves from external forces that seek to overwhelm either the Ti understanding or Si perception of the world. Ti defends itself by supposedly leaping to Si, retreating into the world as it has been known and drawing its sense of the world from those familiar experiences. Si defends itself by dropping into rational Ti support for its perception... without widening the scope of its perception, so all the rationalizing might be thorough but is all self-justifying and within experience scope. This is similar in some ways, I suppose, except I think the two types still have different foundations depending on which function leads.

    If INTPs supposedly break out of this by resorting to Ne (Intuition), then the theory would also say that ISFJ's would break out of this by Fe (values). Is this plausible or sensible? What would it look like? Does it mean one should not expect ISFJ to recalibrate Si via the consideration of possibilities and instead focus on the ISFJ's sense of appropriate relationships and interpersonal respect? If the theory is correct, it would mean the pathway toward enlightenment/wholeness would be very different for INTP vs ISFJ.

    Or does the theory start to break down here?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #15
    /X\(:: :: )/X\ BlueSprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSprout View Post
    I relate to both of these a lot, actually. Especially when I'm not taking in new information/engaging external functions. If I'm left to mull over the same information, too many possibilities present themselves to distinguish a likely truth. Worse, there is no external feedback to either help critique (and thus narrow down) the possibilities I come up with or present new solutions from differing perspectives. At that point, I feel caged in by the same set of facts/parameters that, while static and confining, yield no clear or cogent conclusions/solutions. Obviously I'm not using Ni-Ti, though.
    Okay, not to break the flow of the thread, but I'm a little curious about what this loop is for my type. Is it Fi-Si? Because my experience of the Fi-Si rut is usually more along the lines of OrangeAppled's description.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

    cataplum!

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Damn you Orangeappled! Damn you to hell !!

    You know before I read your post, I was rolling my eyes at this thread.

    I was saying to myself, "Oh boy, not another silly arm-waving theory from another armchair psychologist online"


    But I then I totally saw myself in this:

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

    I personally think everyone can fall into their dom-tert loop. For an introvert, it's being closed off to their auxiliary extroverted function (not completely of course, but over-relying on the introverted functions). New info is not taken in for the Pe types to balance their tert-Pi, which is not as "mature" since it's tertiary. I am interested in how this works in the Je types.

    For INFPs, this can mean losing sight of new possibilities and letting Si reinforce bad feelings from the past to the point of withdrawing & becoming cynical, which may appear as a "negative attitude" or "whiny". I've mentioned that for ISFPs, their Fi Ni loop may look like "paranoia", as they're not using Se to perceive reality.
    I wonder though, how much of this actually is related to type-specific loops, and how much of it is just a more general issue that is common to human beings regardless of type. Perhaps you're just observing specific instances of the same neurosis which is common to us all.
    The purple sun won't heal my purple bruises :ouch:

  7. #17
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I spiral down into negative thoughts/perceptions of the world and Life and find myself in a bit of an existential crisis.
    Yeah, I tend to look at it as a sort of deconstructionist loop, because: I really cant pinpoint specific functions, I just know theyre introverted. Good Times. GOOD TIMES.

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    For myself all I know is I get too inward and formulate ideas, and stay inward because I think I'll eventually be able to figure it out by brainpower/analysis alone (when usually that's not the case) - I stop the process of checking externally or getting feedback on whether or not any of my conjectures actually reflect reality.
    Its like this ^, I never really know when I should cut myself off.

    I always feel like Im building constructs in my head, that I should have ideas fully formed before trying to connect them to the external world; but theres so much deconstructing going on in there as well that I often end up with something just as vague as when I began thinking about it. Basically it amounts to believing that Im building something up in my head, but- since I do that by dismantling it- its never clear when Fe is supposed to jump in and try to share it. I end up feeling like I missed some critical juncture somewhere, where the Extraverted Judgment *might* have been able to do its job.

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    It particularly occurs when I am trying to write papers that matter to me. I cannot ruthlessly cut out extraneous information and come up with a proper outline, even though I am fabulous at doing it with anyone else's work. This has caused me incredible amounts of time, stress and headache.
    I get it a lot while writing papers too. And actually, I've often had to leave the rough draft for long enough to forget all the extra stuff- the crazy dismantling going through my mind while writing it- in order to move forward with it.
    Last edited by Z Buck McFate; 02-08-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Hi Fidelia, I don't think this sounds like an Ni/Ti loop, but, of course, I don't have much experience about it all yet. Whittling down information and efficiently explaining it in a logical fashion sounds sort-of Te to me. It sounds like maybe you just have a function you are needing to use (Te/Ti?) and it is weak for you, rather than a loop. ?

    Lately I've been working on Ti and it's definitely lazy. I think I am especially weak in it because it's my husband's primary function. For example, learning anything takes me a very long time. I have to read and re-read stuff, which I perceive is my lazy Ti. Yet, my Te is pretty dang efficient because I manage and homeschool a large household, so I've always had to accumulate and organize data efficiently, because I have so little time! I'd imagine your Ti is pretty raucous because you are a musician. Maybe your Te is just needing to be used more than you are used to, and it feels rusty and appears inefficient?

    I can tell you explaining things is extremely hard for me. Especially in person. I jump around way to much and miss so many key points that I have to keep going back and forth. The 2 things I tend to be able to do is to verbally walk you through something as long as you can be my eyes and relay what you see, then I will relay back what it is I try to look for and pick up. Like key words and such, it would be more like a thesaurus where I search for alot of words, not one exact thing. The other is just do it myself, dont bother watching me as I go really fast as I am doing the exact same thing I do when I walk you through it, but my eyes and my brain are in sync and doesnt have the relaying of info back and forth. If your patient I can walk you through what I do, but do not ask me how I know what to look for as its extremely subjective.
    Im out, its been fun

  9. #19
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Do you think each type has a loop?
    Well, I've had fruit loops before.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  10. #20
    Senior Member BallentineChen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

    I personally think everyone can fall into their dom-tert loop. For an introvert, it's being closed off to their auxiliary extroverted function (not completely of course, but over-relying on the introverted functions)
    I agree. I think it's helpful to think of it outside the context of specific functions but rather as a matter balance. The same "dom-tert" loop can apply to extroverts that continually look to the objective (environment) for their answers. The point is that there's supposed to be a dialogue between the subjective (self) and the objective. I think focusing in on the local mechanics of dom-tert is reductive in a way that ignores the broader issue of balance and integration.

    In my personal experience, when I've failed to get feedback from the world my wild interpretations and justifications are allowed to grow, until I hear myself explaining my ideas to someone and realize how silly they are. An organism is supposed to be able to respond to the environment, it must receive information and then act accordingly. If an organism acts without environmental input (dominant introversion-tertiary introversion) it may encounter reality that it is unprepared for.
    Last edited by BallentineChen; 02-07-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Expanding and clarifying.
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Similar Threads

  1. [JCF] The Dom-Tert Loop Theory Is False
    By Mal12345 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-30-2015, 06:26 PM
  2. Did i just come out of a dom-tert loop
    By DeadRinga in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 09:40 PM
  3. I'm Feeling Loopy (Dom-Tert loops of all types)
    By highlander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 08:11 AM
  4. Dom/Tert Loops: Real or Fake?
    By RaptorWizard in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 04:53 PM
  5. My take on the dom/tert "loop"
    By INTP in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 03:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO