User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Thread: Languages

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

I speak Polish and English and I'm currently learning Italian and Arabic. And I dream of learning Welsh, but it's a difficult language.
    We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull; some have weird names and all are different colours, but they all have to live in the same box.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ethelred the Unready View Post
    I speak Polish and English and I'm currently learning Italian and Arabic. And I dream of learning Welsh, but it's a difficult language.
    Allora, a che livello sei? intermedio? base? avanzato?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Well, I hope that I am fluent in English, I have taken Spanish for quite a while, and can get through a Spanish Soap Opera just fine, so I guess I know it decently, but I don't know all the vocabulary or the rules that much anymore since I haven't used it, so it's rusty.

I'd like to keep up with learning Spanish, but I'm trying to learn Japanese as well, since I'll be going there, and don't want to be like 'wtf is going on!?'

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I speak French fluently as a result of doing the French immersion school program growing up in Canada. I have used it a good deal since moving to Europe, in various aspects of my life. I adore the French language and I feel that this is truly one of the greatest gifts that my parents gave me, by enrolling me in the program, and the Canadian school system too!

I also studied Spanish from grade 9 through third year university, but I'd only call myself conversational there. I understand it really well and I can kind of get by, but it would need a lot of brushing up. I was pretty good after all those years of studying but I feel like I've wasted it a bit now.

I speak a tiny bit of Finnish as my mom is a Finn. She says she now regrets not speaking it to us more at home - she did, but perhaps not enough. I also spent summers in Finland as a kid but I was a shy child and it was too easy to let others translate. I think if I had continued to go for a few more years I would have made a breakthrough, but after my grandmother's death when I was 15 I have only been once since. I love the language but regret it as a missed opportunity, mainly.

It is so long since I started learning a new language. The last time was when I was 13, with Spanish... I think it would be much harder now. Life is busy and my brain is less resilient. Really useful languages would include Chinese and Arabic, I think. But I'm not sufficiently drawn to either to undergo the difficulty. Perhaps the most practical thing I could do would be to brush up my Spanish. I would also like to improve my little Finnish, but it's so not practical unless I want to go live there. I love German too and have a few words and phrases. And Welsh...but not so useful
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

I first started learning French in middle school, gave it up for a couple of years, and resumed it in college, where I also learned Italian and Latin. I'm working on German now and hope to pick up Greek at some point in the not-so-distant future.

I enjoy learning foreign languages in general but I've always had an especially soft spot for Latin. It's marvelously complex and beautiful.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Allora, a che livello sei? intermedio? base? avanzato?
    Comincio solo a imparare l'italiano.

I hope the above sentence is correct I'm a total beginner
    We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull; some have weird names and all are different colours, but they all have to live in the same box.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've tried to learn Spanish, and it is somewhat interesting... but it's hard for me to stick with it. I always get stuck on pronouncing the alveolar trill required for the "rr," and end up getting discouraged. I know tons of basic vocabulary, and can say a few phrases. I have only an unsteady grasp of the grammar, though.

I know the basic words REALLY well, because I keep starting out with a Spanish lesson, and only getting past the first part because I'm frustrated with my inability to pronounce it correctly.

MBTI
    INtP

I can speack English and German, and am learning Chinese. I'd love to learn Japanese, Arabic, or Spanish, but I want to concentrate on German and Chinese. My INFP friend use to take German, but has abandoned it for Greek.

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Puedo hablar español bastante bien. I'd love to learn French and German.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I took seven Spanish classes in school. However, I've never been to a Spanish speaking country or been immersed. With a dictionary and a verb book, I can read or translate anything. However, I only pick up bits and pieces of what people say. I pick up more if they talk slowly. If we have Spanish workers it's good if they read Spanish. But if they don't read, then there may be more of a gap. I guess that's true for English speakers too, since I like to put things in writing.