User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Languages

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    My grandmother is an ESFJ Puerto Rican. She's been trying to "teach" me Spanish most of my life, but I'm an emmersion learner; if I can be around people speaking it, I will never pick it up.

My biggest desire is to learn Spanish, German, French, and Gaelic. Maybe some Latin, and Ancient Greek would be nice too if I had the time.
    Same. My one regret in my life was not learning languages when I was very little. I have friends here in Finland that speak 3 languages, one who speaks three and has a good idea on a few others, and my host mother can follow a conversation in English, French, Arabic (She loves Egypt), Finnish, and Swedish.

At least I know English, which is decently effective in most countries, especially in Europe.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFJ

I've been trying to learn Japanese forever. I find it very hard. I think being an introvert is tough when learning a language because the best way to learn is to speak with people and I'm too embarrassed.
    There are miles to go before I sleep...

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I can speak German, read and write Latin and ancient Greek.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Why French then?
    Because at the time I requested Rosetta from my mother for my Bday, my job was dedicated to helping our EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) executive directors to reach their fundraising goals. My boss said it would be beneficial to know French so I could look through grants offered in French as oppose to only the English grants. Also, much of the African states speak French and I'd like to one day work there. Just have to convince the organization I'm with that I'd be better at spending the money fulling our mission rather than raising the money so other people can fulfill the mission.. Part of the convincing will be fluency in French!
    What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY

Well, it's been a few days since I've started, but I'm really enjoying learning French and feel like I've picked up quite a bit. If anything, I just want to get on to learning how to express feelings in French already XD
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    infp

Yaaay for languages

I picked up English and German as a kid from watching TV. I had Spanish and Russian in school for a year, but I didn`t find it intense enough/didn`t like the teaching method. Last year I took a French course and I found it interesting. It only lasted 3 months, but I`d really like to learn it fluent.

Oh, and Japanese! Maybe it`s because of the whole anime thing, but I find the japanese culture intriguing and would love to travel there someday. So yeah, learning japanese would be awesome
    .:"Claude os, aperi oculos.":.

"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless, you have to hope even harder and cover your ears and go 'lalalalalalala'"- Fry (Futurama)

Phantonym

I've studied/had to study several languages over the years. Thinking about it now...I don't think I've ever really been interested in learning them. Well, not really, the mandatory element imposed by school took all the joy out of it and I mostly fought against it. The only languages I've really felt passionate learning about were English and Spanish and learning them felt like I was the magnet drawing in...everything related to the language, culture, etc. I enjoyed it immensely. Currently I have to take German. Hate it. Learning it is not difficult but I have zero passion for it. I could find loads of more interesting things to spend my time on.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    Sorry if there's already a thread like this, but are any of you interested in learning different languages? Or are you taking/already know another one? How well do you do learning such things?

I'm currently taking French on Rosetta Stone and I LOVE it. I especially love how there aren't any direct translations, you have to naturally figure it out yourself. It's awsome, and I'm really catching on.
    ive used rosetta stone spanish. I finished levels 1 and 2. I think if I finished level 3, 4 and 5 I'd be able to read a bit. Then I'd read a teenager novel in spanish. Then I'd watch TV with spanish subtitles...then I think I'd be pretty good

I havent started level 3 yet though (school is in the way).

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I have a basic knowledge/understanding of Spanish, love it! beautiful language...i especially like the words estrella and libélula just because they sound awesome when spoken correctly. I do like French too, i love it when people argue in French. As a kid i picked it up when i spent a few months out there but sadly it has faded. I am learning a wee bit of farsi..it's hard to write! I'm also interested in Russian as my grandafther was a Russian. I lack discipline though, to learn it on my own at home is pretty futile. I need to go to class!
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

I took Spanish throughout Highschool and College as well as Arabic to fill prereqs. I don't remember anything of Arabic. I just couldn't wrap my mind around how to pronounce it and got stuck. As for Spanish, I speak a good deal, especially now that I'm the only person that does at my store. I'm the go-to guy for Spanish customers and that helps me net some sales. Overall, I'd describe my fascination with foreign languages as being more of a fascination with their underlying structure and how that's realized in actual speech rather than an interest in the people. I was always taught that the bottom line was money and how can I be excited about a people that's poorer than mine and how can I study a language like Japanese or German when I have limited ability to practice it with others in real life situations....
    "... you think deeply about stuff [that] nobody cares about and hardly anybody can understand you." ~ Peguy talking about Ni users. So true.