User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Languages

garbage

I was learning Spanish when I was serious with a Puerto Rican girl, but once that was no longer the case, I stopped. If I were to pick up another language, though, that one would certainly be it.

I also learned a slight bit of Chinese when I was over in Taiwan, but none of that really stuck with me.

I'm much more into linguistics rather than any specific language.. the cognitive science angle is just fascinating.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    I'd LOVE to get the Japanese edition, but alas, this us for school :/

I do have the DS game for learning Japanese, which I'm sure can't beat RS, but it's still helpful :3
    Well, the three of us have the (seemingly ubiquitous) love of anime, but the kicker for me is to be able to read more Japanese history since only a very small fraction is currently in English. My younger brother is also into geneology and it would help him in his research on that part of the family.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP

I love to learn language, though English is the only language I'm very comfortable communicating in. I know a bit of French, and a wee bit of Chinese, Spanish, and Hindi. I can read Hindi, but not Chinese.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I loooooove languages! I've got a degree in linguistics, which is kinda useless, but the classes were awesome

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

^ also a linguistics major, also loooooove languages!
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm learning Japanese. I'm not sure if I'll ever want to learn another language after that... I want to be really super good at Japanese, and I think that'll take a lot out of me. Plus, after I finally get to the point of fluency...well, I think I just want to enjoy it, you know?

I can't say if I'm good at learning languages or not. I have no idea. This is the only time I've tried another language. I guess I'm doing okay? I think it really depends on how much work you put into it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I'm learning Japanese. I'm not sure if I'll ever want to learn another language after that... I want to be really super good at Japanese, and I think that'll take a lot out of me. Plus, after I finally get to the point of fluency...well, I think I just want to enjoy it, you know?

I can't say if I'm good at learning languages or not. I have no idea. This is the only time I've tried another language. I guess I'm doing okay? I think it really depends on how much work you put into it.
    Spoken Japanese or written? Learning the hiragana, katakana and kanji will definitely take a lot
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I have had Rosetta Stone French 1 and 2 for what will be a year this month. Haven't cracked open the box. It's actually pathetic since all I do all day is dream about traveling, living abroad, having a more hands on foreign job, meeting foreigners in their homeland and I have a major in international relations... The P in me doesn't let me get anything done Good for you though for catching on! I am kind of inspired and think I will start it next week, for real this time, haha
    What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    Spoken Japanese or written? Learning the hiragana, katakana and kanji will definitely take a lot
    Both. I know the hiragana and katakana. I'm not sure how many kanji I know...I'll just say, "in the few hundreds". (I can definitely read a lot more than I can write though...it's hard to estimate. But yeah, I really don't know that much.) I got this recently, and it's helping A LOT.

I know that compared to the writing system, speaking is supposed to be easy...but it's kind of hard for me, what with my shyness and all. But I'm doing my best. My listening comprehension has gotten at lot better, so at least that's something.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceRobin View Post
    I have had Rosetta Stone French 1 and 2 for what will be a year this month. Haven't cracked open the box. It's actually pathetic since all I do all day is dream about traveling, living abroad, having a more hands on foreign job, meeting foreigners in their homeland and I have a major in international relations... The P in me doesn't let me get anything done Good for you though for catching on! I am kind of inspired and think I will start it next week, for real this time, haha
    Why French then?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp