• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP's overdramatize life events?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think this is idealism. I always fantasize about things turning out amazing or being some significant event in my life - and then I am inevitably disappointed. It's not that I want drama, but I just get tired of the mundane and predictable. Of course, all anyone else sees is me criticizing things or coming off unimpressed.
Yeah I guess. But the stupid thing is: if everything was significant and exciting, my perceptions would shift accordingly, making these events seem dull and insignificant. :doh:

The last boyfriend said I prefer to live my life in a constant state of crisis so....yes. When it comes to practical matters I'm very non-dramatic though. If there's an emergency, I get physically hurt, something breaks etc... I'm usually the most level headed person in the room. In all matters concerning my idealism, romance, dreams, etc... I'm usually far too emotionally moved in an instant, although for the most part keep matters tightly under wraps inside.
But if there is plenty of drama already happening, there's no need to create any. :D

No seriously, like you, I'm usually the most together person in a crisis (outwardly anyway). I tend to go a bit zombie-like for a little while but once that's over I start taking action. Others have told me that they find my zombie reaction to have a calming affect on them. Personally, I think most people are just grateful that at least one person isn't hysterically shrieking/sobbing/shouting.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
hah, over-dramatize? maybe internally, but the INFP isn't the only one who is guilty of this kind of crap. In fact, I'd say the ESFP will fragantly over-dramatize basic life events ten times what an INFP would, AND, at the SAME TIME, completely ignore other people's legitimate suffering.

ESFP-bimbo-bitch:
OOOOOOH, MY GAWD, my dad died last year and it was the SUPEREST hardest time of my life! oh my god, i cant even relate that to you, can I ? I had to WRITE my OWN CHECKS!! Terrible...... so, you lost your entire family in that what there..... the holocaust? that's a bummer and TOTAL DOWNER. So..... what's on at 8?"

It's a bad stereotype, but if you INFPs feel bad about dramatizing your life, just look at hillary from fresh prince. THAT's the kind of drama ESFP's try to make thier lives out to be. In other words, don't stop, because you have more than adequate competition.

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, because I'm a 4w3. :)

OrangeAppled said:
I think this is idealism. I always fantasize about things turning out amazing or being some significant event in my life - and then I am inevitably disappointed. It's not that I want drama, but I just get tired of the mundane and predictable. Of course, all anyone else sees is me criticizing things or coming off unimpressed.

Yeah, I anticipate things like crazy and really do damage to myself when, surprise surprise, they don't turn out quite as epic and heavenly as I imagined.

Still on the subject of overdramatising... when I was a kid I used to love to act like I was the heroine of a dreamy, romantic movie. I remember waking up early one morning, opening the curtains (my bed was side on next to the window) and gazing out at the sun rising, with my chin resting on my hands... just for the glamour of it all. :smile: That part of my childhood self still lurks within me.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hah, over-dramatize? maybe internally, but the INFP isn't the only one who is guilty of this kind of crap. In fact, I'd say the ESFP will fragantly over-dramatize basic life events ten times what an INFP would, AND, at the SAME TIME, completely ignore other people's legitimate suffering.

ESFP-bimbo-bitch:
OOOOOOH, MY GAWD, my dad died last year and it was the SUPEREST hardest time of my life! oh my god, i cant even relate that to you, can I ? I had to WRITE my OWN CHECKS!! Terrible...... so, you lost your entire family in that what there..... the holocaust? that's a bummer and TOTAL DOWNER. So..... what's on at 8?"

It's a bad stereotype, but if you INFPs feel bad about dramatizing your life, just look at hillary from fresh prince. THAT's the kind of drama ESFP's try to make thier lives out to be. In other words, don't stop, because you have more than adequate competition.

This is so awful to say, but I can see a close ESFP friend of mine in this parody :D

That said, she is a loyal friend and really tries to take a sincere interest in others (even if it's 5 minutes of you talking and 45 minutes of her talking). She sometimes surprises me with her perceptions - the airhead act is an act for many ESFPs because they've learned it gets them that precious attention they crave.

Leanne_92

MBTI Type
INFP
I sometimes overdramatize events, but I'm able to control myself when this happens... I still feel hurt over the way a relationship ended 2 years ago, and from time to time I allow myself to go all out and grieve it (I overdramatize those events in my mind when that happens)... but when morning comes I'm able to tuck it in and go about my usual day.

I think I get better at self-control as I get older.

Leanne_92

MBTI Type
INFP
When it comes to practical matters I'm very non-dramatic though. If there's an emergency, I get physically hurt, something breaks etc... I'm usually the most level headed person in the room. In all matters concerning my idealism, romance, dreams, etc... I'm usually far too emotionally moved in an instant, although for the most part keep matters tightly under wraps inside.

Yes! Yes, yes and yes!