User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Enneagram
    4w5

OK, my fellow INFP's, what is so bad about people getting the impression that we're "goody-two-shoes" ?

You guys say that like it's a pejorative or something.

Is it because of the "it's cool to be baaaad" cultural trope?

The " badass" anti-hero type dominates books, TV, and movies. Bad is seen as cooler than good.

What eventually happened is we have reached a point where the "cool to be bad" cultural trope is no longer original. It pops up everywhere. All we get is a bunch of self-absorbed prima donnas trying to out-cool and out-bad each other. (This is why I hated Wolverine from the X-men movies. Talk about a scenery chewing, grandstanding douchebag all in the name of being a "cool" anti-hero)

People need to realize that being good is actually cooler than being bad. Being good is not neutral. Just because you pay your taxes, and never commit a crime, does NOT mean you're good. You're just neutral.

Goodness is a constant struggle.

Goodness takes active effort.

The sweet, good girl-next-door is actually cooler to me because it's so easy to slip into evil. It's easier to be the narcisistic prima donna. Self-preservation (which drives "badass" characters) is a basic instinct that even the lowest life forms share. What's so cool about that?
    The purple sun won't heal my purple bruises :ouch:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by purplesunset View Post
    OK, my fellow INFP's, what is so bad about people getting the impression that we're "goody-two-shoes" ?
    I think that phrase implies not thinking for yourself, but just following rules. It can also imply a negative naiveness, being uptight, and even smug about it. "Too perfect" people can be annoying because they remind others' of their flaws and can seem intimidating. Maybe that's unfair, but that's how people may react.

I agree the idea that it's "cool to be bad" is annoying, and that taking a stand to do what's right is really what is courageous and even rebellious from the norm at times.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I tend to come off well in general. I don't seem to know how to sell myself . I think there are mainly 2 ways I am perceived depending on how well people know me:

Early impressions: dull, awkward, unsociable, harmless, ditzy, shy, goody-two-shoes, weird

Later impressions: laid-back, absent-minded, nice, talkative, withdrawn/solitary, intense, nerdy, overthinks everything, weird...
    Yes, totally and there's the issue with those people who become irritated with feeling like you're purposely switching between those two modes and they just want to label you as one or the other and wish you would decide.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think that phrase implies not thinking for yourself, but just following rules. It can also imply a negative naiveness, being uptight, and even smug about it. "Too perfect" people can be annoying because they remind others' of their flaws and can seem intimidating. Maybe that's unfair, but that's how people may react.
    I agree.

The pejorative connotations with "goody-two-shoes" also seem to be a sort of elitist; thinking that you're superior to others who don't happen to act like yourself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Yes, totally and there's the issue with those people who become irritated with feeling like you're purposely switching between those two modes and they just want to label you as one or the other and wish you would decide.
    They find a label eventually...it's called "moody"
    INFPs can be such anomalies though...even I see myself in contradictory terms.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

INFPs can be such anomalies though...even I see myself in contradictory terms.
    Do not!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Do not!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Girl fight?!?

I am cut! That is just mean!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ethanescence View Post
    I agree.

The pejorative connotations with "goody-two-shoes" also seem to be a sort of elitist; thinking that you're superior to others who don't happen to act like yourself.
    What? You mean being "shy, kind and considerate" are not charm points??
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    my closest friend, isfj, tells me that I give off an air of being a stuck up and an impression of being really weird (though not in a good way) and confused, she likes to tease me about how confused i am, what I tried to express with sincerity, she thought I was faking it
    I used to go around with the feeling that people dislike me on sight, they are just waiting for reasons why. It took me a long time to realize that that was probably my hypersensitivity (high F count) speaking...

Generally, people find me warm and friendly -- if I can be bothered to talk to them. In every school that I have been in, there is always one popular clique of people that I don't talk to. Not because I don't like them, but the feeling of incurring their unanimous judgment against me unnerves me.

So yeah, those people probably think I am stuck up and weird. Ironic isn't it?