User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

From the little others have told me, it seems like I give off the impression of being sweet/innocent/harmless (much to my chagrin) and apparently bubbly and super positive (I've actually heard the thing about me having an extremely positive aura more than anything else, which always makes me think "wtf?" because internally, I tend towards being negative more often than not). I would not be surprised if someone out there thought I was cold and snobby, because I am really reserved and withdrawn, and tend to fail utterly at reciprocating social overtures in an appropriate manner. But no one has ever told me that, so maybe not.

I only know two other confirmed INFPs in RL, both women, and I only met them recently. Having met them, I can see why some people think INFPs are intimidating. =P I had heard all about how INFPs can come across as Ts, but I was not really prepared for just how much this is true! One of these INFPs is very outspoken/opinionated and shows almost no emotional expression when talking. The other has a slightly softer vibe, but is still pretty snarky/sarcastic (much moreso than her INTP husband) and comes across as very collected. Even though I know they are INFPs and have even spoken with them about their social anxiety/insecurities/etc., it's still hard for me to imagine that there could be anything insecure beneath their cool exteriors.

I don't mean any of that as a criticism. I am just really surprised and fascinated by how fellow INFPs actually come across IRL. It seems so different from the way I feel on the inside, and I have to wonder whether I give off the same impression these women do and just don't know it. I kind of hope I do, haha ... I want to be intimidating, too, dangit! Although that's probably a lost cause ... a stranger on a bus a few months ago told me I seem "like a flower, normal and sweet."

(On a side note, I wonder if this intimidating/sweet dichotomy is the difference between INFPs who are more "Fi flavored" and those who are more "Ne flavored" when communicating?)

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Oh, Rhapsody, your post reminded me. Yeah, some people get this super-optimistic vibe from me. And someone told me I'm a surviver (more in the adaptive way, not the hunter-gatherer way).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    my closest friend, isfj, tells me that I give off an air of being a stuck up and an impression of being really weird (though not in a good way) and confused
    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I am a woman but I've been told I am intimidating, especially the "looks" I supposidily give from my eyes. Nine times out of ten when I am supposed to be giving one of these looks, my mind is a million miles away.

Yep...I've experienced both of these. People often misread my reserve/shyness as aloof, snobby, and intimidating. One of my close friends thought I was glaring at her at first, when I was just staring off into space, and later she discovered I'm not the catty type at all & am very open to making new girl friends.

Sometimes people underestimate my intelligence because I can seem spacey (I'm zoning out or talking in some random Ne manner). I think that can come off as dorky/awkward too.

I've also had people think I'm sweet and gentle. Strangers and new acquaintances will often confide in me & seek me out for emotional support, so some people must pick up a caring, open demeanor where others misread me as unfriendly.

I'm pretty sure I come off as odd/weird, but no one actually says this to me.

Once people get to know me, the often tell me how their perception of me changed dramatically from their first impressions.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I've also had people think I'm sweet and gentle. Strangers and new acquaintances will often confide in me & seek me out for emotional support, so some people must pick up a caring, open demeanor where others misread me as unfriendly.

Once people get to know me, the often tell me how their perception of me changed dramatically from their first impressions.
    HA, I have the same thing happen to me to.

MBTI
    INFP

Ive been told a few times by both men and women that they think I'm intimidating.

I also seem to have a sign on my head that says 2 things:
    Yes I not only want to give you my money I also want to talk to you at length cause I have nothing better to do

and

If you are mentally handicapped please give me a big wet kiss

heart on fire

Yep...I've experienced both of these. People often misread my reserve/shyness as aloof, snobby, and intimidating. One of my close friends thought I was glaring at her at first, when I was just staring off into space, and later she discovered I'm not the catty type at all & am very open to making new girl friends.
    Even people who tell me to my face that I am snobby, too aloof, too weird, they all come around when they need someone to listen them vent about their feelings or if they want to make a confessional about something that's bothering them. And I usually always listen. Then they go back to their usual stance and I am left remembering their deep, dark secrets. Life can be so surreal.

Folks are never so shy around me.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I hear a lot of "women don't like me" from a lot of women that I know.

What types do most women like to see in other women, then?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I've had people tell me I seem friendly and approachable. I was surprised...I think maybe it's because I smile a lot.

I don't have problems with other women. I'm friends with more women than men.

Sometimes people underestimate my intelligence because I can seem spacey (I'm zoning out or talking in some random Ne manner).
    Yeah, I get this too. I can be pretty oblivious to the outside world. I also tend to take more time than average to answer questions. I have to think about what the "real" answer is, right? haha So, yeah, I've had some people talk down to me because they think I'm slow or stupid. Then they get a surprise, because the "nice, quiet" girl suddenly gets snappy.

People have a really hard time telling when I'm being serious and when I'm joking.

I get called "laid-back" A LOT.

It seems like people are either really amused by me, or find me completely boring.

I don't really know what else.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I don't have problems with other women.
    I don't either....people who misread me come in both genders. I generally get along just fine with women I interact with. I don't have drama in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld
    What types do most women like to see in other women, then?
    Most of my female friends are Feeling types, but that could be statistical. My closest female friends have always been ESFP or ENFP. I've had T women friends and they're usually ST, except for ESTJs, who are kept at arm's length.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I have problems of some sort. I just can't quite pin point what they are. Its almost like people feel uncomfortable in my presence or there is this awkwardness that seems to befall the people in a hush. Then I try to break the ice by saying something and usually it gets much more awkward.

I do give off a vibe, there is definitely some kind of vibe that carries.

The pretending homeless think I am an easy target, the business world thinks I'm a bumbling clumsy contradiction while my friends feel slightly on edge as they have to draw action points out of me.