• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] The Trouble With Fi

Jaguar

Seymour thank you for trying, but no.

Protean thank you for trying, but no.

Elevating Fi to some heroic status at the expense of other functions does not help at all and I view the people who are doing it as shallow.

What is shallow is those who don't have the guts to stand up for anyone, or anything.
Apathy is worn on the face of cowards masquerading as decent human beings.

Don't demonize Si and Fe and elevate Fi to bolster self-esteem and apparent need for superiority.

Translated:
Don't elevate Fi. It might make Fe-Si look bad. :rolleyes:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think if you really look at the root of racism, you'll see that there's a lot more to it than a "feeling-based opinion."

And as much as I enjoy belittling the logic of Fi-ers, it's kind of an oversimplification to imply that Fi and feeling-based opinions are equivalent.

And trust me honey, you'll rarely see me using the word "benevolent" to describe Fi, even if Fi-motivated opinions aren't the cause of racism.

I don't think racism was originally caused by any particular function. Tribalism, the urge to protect one's own and procure goods for self/family and fear "the other" is some kind of primitive, animal thing. Can we honestly asign function to the roots of this phenomenon?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't think racism was originally caused by any particular function. Tribalism, the urge to protect one's own and procure goods for self/family and fear "the other" is some kind of primitive, animal thing. Can we honestly asign function to the roots of this phenomenon?

I completely agree with this. The key word that you used here is originally. The very essence of racism cannot be associated with any one function, as racism at its very core is fear. I cannot associate a function with the heart of racism just as much as I cannot associate a function with hunger, lust, maternal love, anger, or any other primitive emotion.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The discrimination I see right now is within the words of that post.
I clicked on this thread and my mind is boggled by what people are suggesting.

Racism stems from Si and Te, and Fe and Fi is the savior? I suppose this exempt other functions, especially the intuitive ones. :jesus: This is such a mouth-dropping misapplication of MBTI...I think I lost a little respect for some people in this thread. No one is stopping to question if this is taking it a little too far? Some of the replies in this thread illuminates how clearly some people need scapegoats and that's made all the more easier when you have a handy four-letter coding system to slot them into.

Here's some light reading: go pick up a book on ideologies--you can start with Karl Marx since he's most famously explained what ideologies are, then you can move into some authors that deal with racial ideologies, I've personally found this one to be a good starting point.

Once you've got a small grasp on what ideologies are (and now for my Victor moment...MBTI is one ;)) and what a complicated mess of psychology, sociology, geopolitics, and economic push/pull factors they are, if you armchair psychologists can pinpoint specific functions that give rise to racism then go back reread everything you just read but this time with some reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.
What are you surprised about? This is the inevitable result of folk typology.
Oh, my:blush: I jumped on it when I saw the functions mentioned in that context. But my intentions are certainly not to create another kind of discrimination. And it's true, Jaguar, that it was you (the image you linked) I and others were engaging. I was actually trying to balance it, by showing that Fi was involved in both the good and the bad in the situation, where you were associating it with the good, and others were pointing out the bad. The focus on was on how the Fi was being manifested, according to its position in the psyche.

Every process and type has its good and bad sides. But it is true that American society has been determined to be predominatly Te (ESTJ), and creating and maintaining a political power structure is something Te types will tend to rise to anyway, and this would figure in institutions such as the ones being described. That's all Iw as trying to point out.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow.

This is the most provocative thread I think I've seen here for quite awhile.
...And pretty much like juggling live hand grenades.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It's probably one of least expected to have derailed in the direction it has anyway ...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Still trying to read all of it and catch the nuances.

I'm sort of scared to even comment on it. One false move and.....fwoom!... down the whole thing comes. :(

Fecal McAngry

What is racism?

If I believe the Japanese generally have better genetics for playing chess and poorer genetics for sprinting than West-African blacks, am I a racist?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Racism isnt Ti nor Te. Stereotypes are Ti and Te and based on logic, statistics, etc. Racism I would say is based on unhealthy fear and greed.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
At the very least, if a discussion of racism is to exist on this forum, it doesn't need to exist within this thread. The exploration of that was a massive derail from the original intention of the post, and frankly, deserves a stand-alone thread. If it is to be discussed at all.

If anyone wants to truly explore it ... it will be an issue that will undoubtedly offend and polarize many participants.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Damn....this is rough!....

***backs.....away.....very....quietly....and....carefully.....***

Fecal McAngry

At the very least, if a discussion of racism is to exist on this forum, it doesn't need to exist within this thread. The exploration of that was a massive derail from the original intention of the post, and frankly, deserves a stand-alone thread. If it is to be discussed at all.
Completely disagree.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Is anyone else driven crazy by their Introverted Feeling function?

That's the OP.

Like to tell me how that's related to the topic of racism?

Without going FURTHER than the OP?

You asked the question a few posts back: what is racism? Don't you think that would make a good starting off place for a thread title?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
If a mod wants to split this thread into one about racism, I wouldn't complain. This thread has completely derailed, and it's a provocative enough issue that it does indeed warrant a thread to itself.

The thread could be titled "All Si/Fe-ers are racists; Fi saves the day!" That'd be fitting.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is racism?

If I believe the Japanese generally have better genetics for playing chess and poorer genetics for sprinting than West-African blacks, am I a racist?

No, that doesn't make you racist. You'd be racist if you assumed that all West-African blacks are incapable of being good chess players.

Fecal McAngry

No, that doesn't make you racist. You'd be racist if you assumed that all West-African blacks are incapable of being good chess players.
I certainly don't believe I am a racist, but I hold views that many others would define as racist--without question. One of my heroes is this brilliant INTJ:

Arthur Jensen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As my views are essentially identical to his on quote-unquote "racial issues" it might be instructive to take a look at the reception he received during his heyday...

American Renaissance August 1992

American Renaissance September 1992

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I certainly don't believe I am a racist, but I hold views that many others would define as racist--without question. One of my heroes is this brilliant INTJ:

Arthur Jensen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As my views are essentially identical to his on quote-unquote "racial issues" it might be instructive to take a look at the reception he received during his heyday...

American Renaissance August 1992

American Renaissance September 1992

Doesn't matter if you think you're justified in it.

You're still being racist.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
So...racisms may come from type, but it can't be proven either way because type can't be proven?