User Tag List

First 91011

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's not, but it does lead to some very nasty things. The 20th Century is the story of that.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Associating a type with a behavior/value does not imply that other types cannot theoretically possess the same behavior/value.

A type that does not align with its theoretical behavior/value does not invalidate the abstract theory.

A behavior that does not align with its theoretical type does not invalidate the abstract theory.
    If you abstractly theorize for more than just shits'n'giggles, then you are interested in getting some sort of objectivity out of it. Why associate a type with a value or behavior if all other 15 types could be associated to that same value or behavior much in the same way?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    If you abstractly theorize for more than just shits'n'giggles, then you are interested in getting some sort of objectivity out of it. Why associate a type with a value or behavior if all other 15 types could be associated to that same value or behavior much in the same way?
    It's a perfectly legit thing to do if you're interested in using typology to describe rather than predict.

I think we are encroaching upon a Te vs. Ne duel. I don't really want to go there.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    It's a perfectly legit thing to do if you're interested in using typology to describe rather than predict.

I think we are encroaching upon a Te vs. Ne duel. I don't really want to go there.
    I don't think we are at all. I'm not at all interested in predicting (not to mention I think it's a ludicrous goal). Describing...sure. Why describe someone based on what he or she shares with a slew of other types? Aren't the differences between types the interesting part?

Which leads to the real goal for me with typology in general...understanding. Even more than describing. At face value an ISTJ and an ENFP can be described as doing the same thing in a certain situation or thinking the same way in a certain situation. But aren't the reasons behind it more important? MBTI is concerned with cognition.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Doesn't matter if you think you're justified in it.

You're still being racist.
    It's not racist to acknowledge documented statistical differences between races.

Black people are taller, on average, than Asians. That's statistical fact. It doesn't become racism until you try to apply the general characteristic unilaterally to every member of the group and refuse accept exceptions to the average.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?