User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default INFJ / INTJ struggles with Sensor (e) world?

Do any other N’s else struggle with keeping up with the demands and expectations of the sensory world? I’m speaking especially to INFJs & INTJs with dominant introverted iNtuition and inferior extraverted Sensing, aka S(e). {see final paragraph for a metaphor of what I mean here.}

I grew up in a sensor household, majored and worked in a field dominated by sensors, and basically spent many years trying to fit into that mold until I finally saw a counselor who clued me in to type theory and revealed the secrets of the universe (or so it seemed at the time).

Initially I thought that all my “experience” helped me excel at sensor matters, but at this point in my life I look back at my patterns and feel more inept than ever. For example,
    ~ an ESFJ friend once gave me some long-lasting lipstick for my birthday because “we have pale lips.” I was confused until I started looking around at everyone else and saw that indeed, about 85% of people (including my male boss) had naturally rosier lips.
    ~ A hairdresser styled my hair to minimize my “high forehead” (I had no clue I won’t even tell you how old I was at the time)
    ~ I do stellar mental organization (including electronic spreadsheets, instructions, etc), but if I ever had to handle a piece of paper “just once” at work, I would be catatonic before the weekend.
    ~ My house is my favorite sanctuary, but it’s hard to relax because the physical clutter and unfinished maintenance projects chronically harp and taunt me (i.e., the damn J thing - you lucky P’s!).

All the while, I am constantly aware that time is racing by (hence my avatar image) and I haven’t been true to my longings and desires because so many sensory obstacles stand in the way. It’s so much harder for me to accomplish sensory tasks than most people, yet clearing those decks is a mental prerequisite for settling down to a relaxing, creative, fun life.

The metaphor I have for what this feels like is the “Claw Machine.” I’m referring to the big clear box in the store that is stuffed with toys. You drop your coins in and maneuver the Claw contraption for the prize. The Dominant (=best) Sensor equivalent is to simply reach in with your natural hand and grab one. Types with Inferior S(e), however, have to use the Claw, with no great success. In Type Dynamics, this is the same struggle that INTPs/ISTP/s have with the Feeling function, or INFP’s/ISFP’s have with accessing the Thinking function. I’m not intentionally leaving out extraverts, but because their favorite function is external, things tend to be less convoluted for them.

N’s – what sensory obstacles do you trip over, and what do you do about them?
    Be a Columbus
    to whole new continents
    and worlds within you,
    opening new channels,
    not of trade,
    but of thought.

-Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)

MBTI
    INFJ

I am impressed by your description of an INJs struggle with Se! That is how I feel about trying to be aware of my surroundings. I can walk out in front of cars on a busy street because I am too busy talking/thinking to notice--thank goodness my boyfriend has a strong preference for Se! I live inside my own head too, and sometimes my thoughts are way more real than the events going on around me.

One of my sisters--an ESTP, by the way--has from her earliest years consistently pointed out what people were wearing and how good or bad they looked in said clothes. I think I would hardly notice if someone having an absorbing conversation with me were naked.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

It's not just introverted NFJs that struggle. I'm TERRIBLE at recognizing/acknowledging the physical realm AT ALL, and I'm an E. My father and I both are really notorious for this. I literally have zero sensing function. Rock-bottom nothing.

If it weren't for my ENFP sister (who is able to function on a practical level) and my Senser mother, I'd be lost most of the time, wandering around with one shoe off and my hair standing on end.

Note: That story you told about the lipstick could have happened to ME. LOL! That's too funny. At least I know I'm not alone in this.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Time, money, papers, dates they are all like butterflies I chase with a net. No hope of my ever catching, let alone cataloging them all.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I think It was an unforgivable sin to give me drivers license. When I'm driving my eyes may be on the road but my mind is somewhere else.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    It's not just introverted NFJs that struggle. I'm TERRIBLE at recognizing/acknowledging the physical realm AT ALL, and I'm an E. My father and I both are really notorious for this. I literally have zero sensing function. Rock-bottom nothing.

If it weren't for my ENFP sister (who is able to function on a practical level) and my Senser mother, I'd be lost most of the time, wandering around with one shoe off and my hair standing on end.

Note: That story you told about the lipstick could have happened to ME. LOL! That's too funny. At least I know I'm not alone in this.
    You're right ... EN's do struggle as well. Your comment reminded me of a former co-worker, an ENTP, who declared that he took a test showing he had "zero sentience" (awareness of surroundings). Interestingly, he was also a p/t college football referree, so he could certainly pay attention to things that interested him.
    His story is as follows:
    He came home from work one day, went to the bedroom and took off his coat and tie, then came back into the kitchen and greeted his wife.
    She said, "Did you notice anything new, Ed?"
    He, starting to break a sweat and panic inside, ventured, "Umm.. new dress?"
    She: "No"
    He: "Uh ... new hairdo?"
    She: "No! Go back into the bedroom and look in the closet!"
    When he went to the "His" side of the His/Her closets, he found his suit coat hanging amidst her dresses. She had switched out the closets that day!
    Be a Columbus
    to whole new continents
    and worlds within you,
    opening new channels,
    not of trade,
    but of thought.

-Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

lol @ poor Ed... story of my life. Actually, I'm more clueless about what pertains to me physically than what's happening around me (though I can submerge and not notice a marching band passing right in front me sometimes... it makes my mother and sister nuts...). It's entirely possible that the closet could have been switched around on me and I wouldn't have caught on right away if I wasn't paying strict attention. The influence of my family has helped me in that quarter, to help get me down out of my head.

But I'm still frighted by just about every change. Lipliner. Underwear made from something other than cotton. Brushing my hair. Realizing my clothes are all dirty. Growing breasts. All very shocking. ha ha!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ

Sensory things I struggle with...

1. Dates, dates, dates and more dates. What day is it again? I have no idea. Fortunately, my boyfriend doesn't expect me to remember our anniversary because I really have no idea which day we started dating. I'm notoriously bad with birthdays, though I've gotten into the habit of immediately writing them down so I can remember them more. I'm awesome at celebrating, but bad at remembering. I'd rather not admit the year I forgot my own birthday... a phone call from my mom reminded me.

2. Was the light green? Or red? I honestly had no idea.

3. Should we get into the amount of times I've left my house in pajama pants, flip flops in the middle of winter, mismatched socks...?

4. I'm usually unaware of what my body is trying to tell me. I don't eat until I have hunger pains knawing at me, despite the time of day. I literally forget to eat. I can't tell you the amount of times I've all of a sudden felt like passing out & had no idea why (umm, it's 5pm and I forgot to eat. duh.) This also leads to me overworking - I will literally go go go because I'm not aware of my body telling me to slow down.

5. Directions. I could get lost finding my way out of a paper box. It doesn't matter that they are written out step by step with pictures. I totally didn't see the left at the last intersection. In fact, what intersection? I haven't seen one of those for miles...

6. Oh, you changed the layout of MBTI Central? I half noticed. It looks good.

There are more, I'm sure. I tend to drive the ESTP mother & ISTP boyfriend absolutely nuts with this stuff - thankfully, they act as my little Se eyes. I mean, SOMEONE has to remind me that I need to take a left at the next light. Yes, a left... not a right so I can switch my blinker now.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Introverts_Unite! View Post
    Do any other N’s else struggle with keeping up with the demands and expectations of the sensory world?
    Welcome, Introverts_Unite! Since I am INFP, maybe I don't struggle quite as much, but it still is a challenge for me. It's virtually impossible to stay on top of my cluttered house and office. I have learned to live amongst the clutter. My sister would have a cow if she would see it as it normally is (sensor). I lose things easily (or my house eats things - that's my excuse) , so I have a good filing systems to keep me on track (with reminders where I put things in the filing system!) Oh, there are many more issues, but... all I can say is that it's just tough to keep on top of things... so I don't.

Anyway, enjoy!
    Last edited by Sandy; 11-24-2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: I lost this post! =(
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    OMNi

I remember as a little kid I had a nasty habit of getting so excited that I would forget to put on my pants before leaving the house. So of course the whole neighborhood usually got a good look at my whitey tightys before I figured it out. :blushing:

I was never fully aware of how inept I am at noticing what is going on around me until the day I crossed an intersection against a light because I was lost in thought. I can still hear the screeching of tires and all those people cussing at me.

My apartment can be a complete mess, but I always know where everything is. The quickest way to piss me off is to try to clean it.

And of course, whenever I go shopping with my INTJ friend, without fail we forget where we parked the car.