User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    And I am also consistantly tardy...
    Thankfully, I can usually make most people forgive me my absent-mindedness with a smile and some really sincere apologies. Even my parents, who should really be immune to this by now. Or perhaps they just don't expect me to be reliable in the first place.

I sometimes wonder how I function at all in this Sensor-ish world!
    That whole tardiness thing - it's a conspiracy! It doesn't matter when I leave home, how early I get up...I'll always be a few minutes late. Nobody was more surprised than me when I arrived 10 minutes early at work today; the universe is playing games with me, and I'm losing.

To the rest of the issues: I've tried to 'force' myself to see things over the years, but it still takes extreme effort to become aware of trifling matters like laundry, dishes, vacuuming and which day to take the garbage to the curb. People on the street are invisible. Snow, rain and other conditions that would have an impact on other people's travelling time don't apply to me (see aforementioned tardiness conspiracy) and if people move furniture into a spot that used to be free floorspace, I'll bump into it for a while, despite seeing it there. Heh, my life is filled with these tiny ridiculous things- I wonder if I'll ever learn. I don't do the 'two different shoes' thing, but I routinely manage to get through the house (several flights of stairs) and outside before I realise that I completely forgot about shoes altogether.

MBTI
    INFP

Default There was a time that my life was totally out of control...

Thank GOD for Outlook (and my Ipaq and laptop). I have all the reoccuring birthdays and anniversaries loaded up on my Outlook; I love the reminder feature! I have it to remind me two-weeks in advance, and because I am THE procrastinator, I will snooze it until the very last day -- then I run like crazy to get a card for whatever wedding or whatever is going on and hope that it gets to the person in time.

That use to be me... until I found out a new system about 6-years ago, and it works great! In addition to the Outlook program, the tickler system works well for me.

At the first of the year, I buy all of my cards that I need for the year, and then I sign and address them and put them in the correct month (and then day) so I can get all of my cards out in a decent time. I still really rely on my Outlook to remind me, though, because my memory is still horrendous.

I have an area right in the front of the tickler system for all of my stamps and pre-printed address labels and extra envelopes (and miscellaneous stickers).

I have a front drawer on my desk that is FULL of cards of all types (sympathy, encouragement, get well, etc). I find them on sale at different online stores (ie: dayspring.com). I don't have to RUN to the store anymore to buy cards. This systems also really help me, because it's all there in one area.

There was a time that it would be useless for me to even think of sending birthday cards on time because a month would have gone by, and I would have felt guilty to send a belated card. :sad: At least I have this part of my life in control.

It all started with the reminder feature of Outlook (yaay!)
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    That whole tardiness thing - it's a conspiracy! It doesn't matter when I leave home, how early I get up...I'll always be a few minutes late. Nobody was more surprised than me when I arrived 10 minutes early at work today; the universe is playing games with me, and I'm losing.

To the rest of the issues: I've tried to 'force' myself to see things over the years, but it still takes extreme effort to become aware of trifling matters like laundry, dishes, vacuuming and which day to take the garbage to the curb. People on the street are invisible. Snow, rain and other conditions that would have an impact on other people's travelling time don't apply to me (see aforementioned tardiness conspiracy) and if people move furniture into a spot that used to be free floorspace, I'll bump into it for a while, despite seeing it there. Heh, my life is filled with these tiny ridiculous things- I wonder if I'll ever learn. I don't do the 'two different shoes' thing, but I routinely manage to get through the house (several flights of stairs) and outside before I realise that I completely forgot about shoes altogether.
    haha! That's too funny!

Yep, tardiness has always been an issue for me. In the past, I have even tried to trick myself and forward my clocks at least 10-minutes earlier, but then I reason with myself over and over again that I STILL have 10-minutes.

So... the clock goes back to where it is supposed to be. Tricking myself doesn't work. :rolli:

For some reason, things have been better for me time-wise. I actually do get to work on time (yaay!)
    -Sandy
    Enneagram 4w5

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirl View Post
    I also took on management jobs right after college. Did you find the management aspect as draining as I did? What did you dislike about it (and like about it?)
    Well ... it was good experience in that it made me confront my own issues in relation to others. In dealing with unionized employees, I came to have a healthy respect for due process and making sure that expectations were communicated before taking my moodiness out on a subordinate. But it was very stressful, and I was glad to move into a more 'white collar' area where I was only responsible for my own work.

The union shop was quite some time ago but I'm still managing a small administrative group. Despite the Life Lessons, I still hate supervising people unless they're the types that don't require supervision. I hate when I have to confront someone about performance issues, and I think I do it quite badly. I am great at mentoring, teaching, training, encouraging, etc. But as soon as I move into a relationship where the accountability for their work is my responsibility, things change. I'm a terrible delegator and if I feel (or vaguely intuit) resistance, I end up doing their work. Crazy. I'll never be a natural at it. The non-relational aspects of management are fine, though, if it's not too sensory. I LOVE planning and setting up new systems, but generally dislike execution of routine matters.
    Be a Columbus
    to whole new continents
    and worlds within you,
    opening new channels,
    not of trade,
    but of thought.

-Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)

MBTI
    INFP

Default Dreaming of having a victory garden...

Quote Originally Posted by Introverts_Unite! View Post
    Well ... it was good experience in that it made me confront my own issues in relation to others. In dealing with unionized employees, I came to have a healthy respect for due process and making sure that expectations were communicated before taking my moodiness out on a subordinate. But it was very stressful, and I was glad to move into a more 'white collar' area where I was only responsible for my own work.

The union shop was quite some time ago but I'm still managing a small administrative group. Despite the Life Lessons, I still hate supervising people unless they're the types that don't require supervision. I hate when I have to confront someone about performance issues, and I think I do it quite badly. I am great at mentoring, teaching, training, encouraging, etc. But as soon as I move into a relationship where the accountability for their work is my responsibility, things change. I'm a terrible delegator and if I feel (or vaguely intuit) resistance, I end up doing their work. Crazy. I'll never be a natural at it. The non-relational aspects of management are fine, though, if it's not too sensory. I LOVE planning and setting up new systems, but generally dislike execution of routine matters.
    Over the years, all the management training I have ever gone through has really helped me understand, develop, and strengthen my weak areas.

Still, my default settings persist. I don't enjoy delegating or confronting anyone, especially performance issues. I don't want the responsibility, and it mentally drains me. Like you, I enjoy supporting, mentoring, and encouraging others. Unfortunately, my job scope has changed over the last 19-years... so at some point, I know this has got to end. I plan to end my career in another year or so (now that I my boys are now adults) and start to carve out what I believe my real job is (being a supportive wife/homemaker). Now, if only I could get my corp to let me retire early... they say that I have 13-years to go, so they won't let me.
    -Sandy
    Enneagram 4w5