User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your major shopping preference?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate shopping and shop only when I have to.

15 41.67%
  • Shopping is okay; I get what I want and go.

19 52.78%
  • I only shop online.

8 22.22%
  • I love to shop and am a bonafide shop-aholic.

4 11.11%
  • I only enjoy shopping during the holidays.

2 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't like crowds, so I usually choose what I want online and then go into the store and pick it up! The best of both worlds- less time in the store, but no wait to get what you bought!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

Considering I manage a retail store for a living 'shop-a-holic' fits me. I am a certified bargain hunter! I have to go off the beaten path to find these deals and have the patience to wait. I know the 'retail game' inside and out so really I don't have to look far. This thread is very interesting to me so I hope it continues. I swear (no joke at all) that I've been successful in part due to MBTI. I noticed before MBTI the different kinds of shoppers and did my best to learn the psychological aspects of getting people to part with their money. In my last job I had to be personalized and persuasive to make my sales. I listened for 'key words' of types so I knew exactly what to say. In this job my influence is much less direct. I don't have too much direct customer contact. I do however try to cater to every type there is in my store overall. I make it easy for everyone to buy stuff and feel good about it.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    ENTJ

I usually ignore salespeople. Such as a salesperson might ask me "Can I help you, sir?" and I'll answer "Yes, by being at the cashier once I've made my mind up". Rude, but so satisfying...

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    I noticed before MBTI the different kinds of shoppers and did my best to learn the psychological aspects of getting people to part with their money. In my last job I had to be personalized and persuasive to make my sales. I listened for 'key words' of types so I knew exactly what to say.
    Gee, that's sooo manipulative

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

That isn't manipulative (nor was it intended to sound that way)....it's just part of the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    I usually ignore salespeople. Such as a salesperson might ask me "Can I help you, sir?" and I'll answer "Yes, by being at the cashier once I've made my mind up". Rude, but so satisfying...
    Really this is a great way to be for everyone involved it saves both time. Rude people really aren't that unique. You only have to be in retail for a day or two to come across this kind of behavior.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Gee, that's sooo manipulative
    What's up with you and manipulation? You must feel very vulnerable.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    What's up with you and manipulation? You must feel very vulnerable.
    Ah, I hit a soft spot there . Sorry, you're not all the goody-goody people you like to seem like

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    That isn't manipulative (nor was it intended to sound that way)....it's just part of the job.

Really this is a great way to be for everyone involved it saves both time. Rude people really aren't that unique. You only have to be in retail for a day or two to come across this kind of behavior.
    Thank god they aren't unique, or else we'd waste alot of time. Yay for rude people.

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    Thank god they aren't unique, or else we'd waste alot of time. Yay for rude people.
    Exactly! Rude people are really not a waste of time....it's why they do not phase me. They are great tools for teaching associates how to deal with a job working with the general public. I've had to comfort many young associates who were treated like this. It enables me to give the same speech and they seem to do OK after that. Especially if it's the first few time it really happens....it's better to get it over with early in the job. I know how long they will last after we talk and even if I have them assigned to the proper position in the store. I don't know how other managers deal with it or even if they are able to turn it into something good.

***Sorry for the derailment Sandy ***

MBTI
    WOLF

In general, I love shopping. I just hate crowds. I hate tourists that can't make up their mind as to which side of the road they want to occupy, people poking me with their damn carts when I'm waiting in line or just having billions of people around me. They are disgusting. I do, however, love to shop when there aren't a million frantic people in front of me. I go through the department store on my way to work, just to look at the displays. I have an ability to find good deals on clothes and stuff, and I usually spend extremely small amounts on these compared to other people (as far as I know). I enjoy grocery shopping, just to wander around, gathering my thoughts and work out problems while I trawl the aisles, reading labels.

Hmm. We recently got a small mall near the place I live. This is potentially very dangerous, so lately I've been avoiding it like the plague. Too many easy opportunities to spend money.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Ah, I hit a soft spot there . Sorry, you're not all the goody-goody people you like to seem like

I think it was your tender underbelly that was poked. I don't pretend to be anything other than what I am. Do you worry about being manipulated? It seems to be a theme in your posts. Like Lookin4 said, it's part of the job. The objective is to sell and while that doesn't mean check your ethics at the door and lie to people you still have the bottom line that needs to be met.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3