• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFP and ISFP: The Biggest Difference Is...?

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm sure there's been over 9,000 threads on this (lololol), but I thought maybe someone could give me some situational examples of where the similarities between the two types end?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm sure there's been over 9,000 threads on this (lololol), but I thought maybe someone could give me some situational examples of where the similarities between the two types end?

Se vs. Ne. Practical vs. abstract

IME, ISFP's love to "get into things" - they love to use their hands, touch things, feel things (i.e., textures), taste things, etc. Examples would be sculpting clay, painting with their hands, making all kinds of things, very much enjoy physical affection and the way that it feels (not so much the way it feels on the inside, but how it feels to their touch, to their skin, etc (i.e., cuddling is one example). It's almost like their body and all it's parts (eyes, mouth, hands, etc.) are their tool to experience the wonders of life. If they aren't touching, tasting, seeing, and having fun, they aren't really enjoying life. It's very much rooted in concrete and real things. They like to talk about how much fun they had at such and such event, how amazing the sunset looked, how great the food tasted, how cool it was to sculpt something, etc. They also live very much in the "here and now" - almost no focus on the future. One I knew had never even "thought" about saving money for her later years. The thought never even occurred to her. She said, "I just don't think about that. Money is meant to be spent and enjoyed, not saved for the future. I'll worry about the future when I get there."

INFP's, on the other hand, also like these things to some degree, but there is much more of a willingness (it's more fun for them, I think) to discuss concepts, ideas, and hypotheticals. More philosophical discussions and being funny in that Ne way and trying to understand the "why's" of life. More future oriented.

It has also been my experience that INxx is much more likely to go into hibernation mode than ISxx. ISxx's may remain independent and even engage in downtime, but they quickly come back out into the world so they can "experience it" with their senses. They almost don't even seem like introverts to me. They're great with people, but just choose to stay private a lot of times. Most INxx's I know could stay inside their home for days (weeks?) at a time and not think twice about it. The INFP's are sometimes awkward in social settings (or at least they feel awkward). There is an awkwardness there, but they come off very elegant or enigmatic. ISFP is more practical and reality-based.

In short, the quickest way I've learned to tell the difference, is to listen to (a) the things that the person talks about, and (b) are they more interested in using their senses or in long, philosophical discussions about life.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

One is late, the other timely.

Also, their bellybuttons are very different from one another, like night and day.

Other than that they can be pretty indistinguishable.

heart

heart on fire
I think a difference is that INFP tend to be "darker" in their fascinations than ISFP.

In my impression, INFP in general tend more often to be fascinated with good verses evil, human duality. To study evil in order to understand it better and thus to fight it better, to see it within one's self more clearly, the idea that one must know evil in order to recognize it and fight it etc.

My impression is that ISFP tend to not want to think that much about evil. Whenever I have contact with ISFPs I am always aware of the need to back off my more cynical views. It is not that the ISFP are in mental candyland or anything, it is just that deep discussions of the topic seem to be uncomfortable to them and that they don't see the point in focusing on something so unpleasant. At least this is how it seems to me.

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
I live with an ISFP and honestly, I feel like we live on different planets.

I hate to pull the MBTI standbys of concrete and abstract to describe it, but it fits well here. She's much more grounded than I can be sometimes. It's not apparent unless she talks because she seems lost in the clouds most of the time.

She's (love stereotypes) has a long term hobby with arts, drawing, painting, and music performance. She's far more technical with these things, and sees and hears subtleties that I just cannot.

I think I bore her when I start to talk about my thoughts and theories about life. She's prefer to hear about my day, or discuss something more real and tangible. She's more reserved than me, but seeks socialization more as well.

Her space has to be organized to how she feels. I can usually tell her moods by the cleanliness of her room. Also, smaller details in the environment bother her more than they do me. I'll hardly notice a spot on the carpet that seems to disrupt her space.

It's really the only ISFP I can compare, so take with a grain of salt. I'm picking what I assume are type differences, but they could also be just personal quirk differences.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Se vs. Ne. Practical vs. abstract

That's it.

I can talk to INFPs and be understood with barely any effort. We can explore together and build off each other's comments.

Most of the ISFPs I talk to miss all the nuance, context, and inferences of my comments, and remain unaware of the subtexts that ride underneath their own. We're good "playmates" and have fun with each other... but lots of times the connection time leaves a lot to be desired.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFPs are much more action and detail oriented than I am.

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
That's it.

I can talk to INFPs and be understood with barely any effort. We can explore together and build off each other's comments.

Most of the ISFPs I talk to miss all the nuance, context, and inferences of my comments, and remain unaware of the subtexts that ride underneath their own. We're good "playmates" and have fun with each other... but lots of times the connection time leaves a lot to be desired.

I have a close INTP friend. I actually also have an easier time talking to and understanding him than my ISFP friend, but when they talk it's like a brick wall is between them. What he says is misconstrued and half flies overhead, what she says seems bizarre and complete nonsequitors to the INTP.

It seems they get along, but truly I doubt there'd be much connection, either good or bad, if they weren't both friends of mine. There's just no common ground.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have a close INTP friend. I actually also have an easier time talking to and understanding him than my ISFP friend, but when they talk it's like a brick wall is between them. What he says is misconstrued and half flies overhead, what she says seems bizarre and complete nonsequitors to the INTP.

It seems they get along, but truly I doubt there'd be much connection, either good or bad, if they weren't both friends of mine. There's just no common ground.

Yep. Don't get me wrong, ISFP's are great. We just constantly "miss" 50% of what each other is saying. I feel like I have to spend so much time going back over what they said to make sure I understood correctly. Even when I take time out and say, "OK, I'm not understanding you. I need you to explain yourself more thoroughly because I want to understand", I still may not fully understand after the 3rd or 4th time they explain it. It's really a strange thing. I think they're great fun, but I totally relate to that "brick wall" in between the 2 types that you mentioned.

That wall doesn't exist between INTP/INFP. Uh, well, unless we get into the whole Fi thing.

heart

heart on fire
That wall doesn't exist between INTP/INFP. Uh, well, unless we get into the whole Fi thing.

Of course I am sure you meant to say the whole Fi/Ti thing? ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With ISFP my experience as INFP is usually Fi forms a bridge and they bring out my Si and I bring out their Ne, at least for short, lovely periods of time --- but we always, always hit loggerheads on the whole thing about humans having dual nature and evil and all that. I am having to hold back in discussing these things when it comes to conversation and they are wincing painfully if I don't. This is why to me, this is the hallmark difference.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks guys, this is very helpful :D

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Of course I am sure you meant to say the whole Fi/Ti thing? ;)

LOL. Yes, I'm sure Ti probably poses some challenges to the INFP. I haven't read too much on these forums as to what those challenges are. I know much more about the challenges that Fi poses to me - namely, I can't get them to open up and share their feelings freely, openly, and honestly. As I've read many INTP's say, it's like pulling teeth. And if you can't talk about those things, then you don't know where you stand with that person.

INTP: You don't seem yourself lately. Is something wrong?
INFP: :huh:

INTP: There's obviously something wrong. Let's talk about it so I can help you feel better.
INFP: :cry:

I just never know where to go from there. If we can't talk openly, what am I supposed to do? What's the next step? It's like a big pink elephant in the room, but instead of opening the door and letting the elephant out, or engaging the elephant in conversation or feeding it a peanut or going for an elephant ride (or something!), it just stays right there and causes awkwardness.

INFP's are one of my favorite types ever :hug:. I just have no idea how to handle these situations with them.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
LOL. Yes, I'm sure Ti probably poses some challenges to the INFP. I haven't read too much on these forums as to what those challenges are. I know much more about the challenges that Fi poses to me - namely, I can't get them to open up and share their feelings freely, openly, and honestly. As I've read many INTP's say, it's like pulling teeth. And if you can't talk about those things, then you don't know where you stand with that person.

INTP: You don't seem yourself lately. Is something wrong?
INFP: :huh:

INTP: There's obviously something wrong. Let's talk about it so I can help you feel better.
INFP: :cry:

I just never where to go from there. If we can't talk openly, what am I supposed to do? What's the next step? It's like a big pink elephant in the room, but instead of opening the door and letting the elephant out, or engaging the elephant in conversation or feeding it or going for an elephant ride (or something!), it just stays right there and causes awkwardness.

INFP's are one of my favorite types ever :hug:. I just have no idea how to handle these situations with them.
That sounds just like me and my best friend XD

sgman

MBTI Type
INFP
A Sensor was telling me that it is illegal to make a jump shot in pool by sliding under the cue ball.

I say: "Is it because it will damage the felt?"

He says: "No. You can't do that. Its illegal."

Lost the signal there.

I guess INFPs naturally look for meanings, and ISFPs are more like: its the way it is.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
A Sensor was telling me that it is illegal to make a jump shot in pool by sliding under the cue ball.

I say: "Is it because it will damage the felt?"

He says: "No. You can't do that. Its illegal."

Lost the signal there.

I guess INFPs naturally look for meanings, and ISFPs are more like: its the way it is.

LOL. The ISFP's I've known liked to "break the rules" a bit. That response sounds like something an ISTJ/ESTJ (or SJ in general) would say. Did you do a jump shot on your very next shot? :D

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
IME, ISFP's love to "get into things" - they love to use their hands, touch things, feel things (i.e., textures), taste things, etc. Examples would be sculpting clay, painting with their hands, making all kinds of things, very much enjoy physical affection and the way that it feels (not so much the way it feels on the inside, but how it feels to their touch, to their skin, etc (i.e., cuddling is one example). It's almost like their body and all it's parts (eyes, mouth, hands, etc.) are their tool to experience the wonders of life. If they aren't touching, tasting, seeing, and having fun, they aren't really enjoying life.

OMG UR TURNING ME ON

My impression is that ISFP tend to not want to think that much about evil. Whenever I have contact with ISFPs I am always aware of the need to back off my more cynical views. It is not that the ISFP are in mental candyland or anything, it is just that deep discussions of the topic seem to be uncomfortable to them and that they don't see the point in focusing on something so unpleasant. At least this is how it seems to me.

I think this is very true, at least for me. Good INFP friend likes movies like "The Dark Knight" and "Final Destination" and "Knowing." Meanwhile, I like happy, fun stuff.

Well, what you don't understand is, the "Fi/Se" combination creates a temporal paradox that would cause the universe to collapse on itself if we engaged in any of that nuance and subtext stuff. It's a tough burden we bear, but somehow we press on. :cool:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
OMG UR TURNING ME ON

I think this is very true, at least for me. Good INFP friend likes movies like "The Dark Knight" and "Final Destination" and "Knowing." Meanwhile, I like happy, fun stuff.

Well, what you don't understand is, the "Fi/Se" combination creates a temporal paradox that would cause the universe to collapse on itself if we engaged in any of that nuance and subtext stuff. It's a tough burden we bear, but somehow we press on. :cool:

The perfect day for Jeffster.

rainbows.jpg

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My step-dad is an ISFP, and we are a lot of like in some ways, but in ways we sense and grasp that other people don't observe. However, on the surface, I am more likely to be confused with an INTP by other people. My communication style is more insync with an INTP (Ne), but my core feeling seems to be more insync with ISFPs I know (Fi).

Comparing myself with my step-dad has highlighted the differences between the IxFPs though, so I'll point some of those further down.

Other differences that have been mentioned, but I'll give my take on it:

ISFP - focused on the moment, often base their opinions on personal experience & may distrust theory, enjoy more hands-on activities for the sake of the activity itself (as they enjoy the process), often less verbal and articulate in writing, may seem more hedonistic, not idealistic, but more accepting of what is current reality (even if it frustrates them - hence the escapism through physical sensation), but may have "causes" that are more "close to home" and take a more practical, immediate approach to supporting them, often feel it's "good enough for now" as they are more aware of current, realistic standards. Se is impulsive and is more spontaneous with physical movement.

INFP - enjoy theory & the hypothetical & may even trust that over experience (as experience is always limited & narrow), future-focused with larger/universal ideals, may enjoy hands on activities but usually have an end goal in mind (more results oriented), impatient with details but can get obsessed with them if it's something they care about (don't confuse obsession with details to being naturally observant of them), perfectionist tendencies. Ne has whims and is more spontaneous with ideas (which may lead to action).

So it kind of annoys me when people act like every person who has picked up a paint brush and who has talent in the visual arts is an ISFP. My step-dad and myself are both visual artists, and while he probably draws better because he practices more & is older/more experienced, my sense of color and taste level is far superior. I also dress much better than he does & I follow fashion and understand texture/material better (another stereotype about INFPs - that we dress worse). Both of us really like different foods/flavors, beauty/aesthetics, atmosphere and culture. My step-dad also loves language, and he picks up accents well & learns by hearing. I am much better with grammar and the written word though. I also express myself better verbally; my step-dad often gets frustrated when talking to people.

When it comes to music, I am by far the bigger fan. I have a substantial physical and digital collection of music, and I love live music. My step-dad almost dislikes listening to music, but when he was younger he played guitar. This illustrates the focus on the process vs. focus on an end goal: My step-dad did not play guitar to learn to write songs or because he loves music, but he just enjoyed strumming it when hanging out with his friends. I have no interest in musical instruments except to create - I would like to write a song, not play existing ones. This shows how my step-dad, an ISFP, and I, an INFP, often have similar interests/behaviors on the surface, but different ways of experiencing them.

Also, as I mentioned a bit in the list above, INFPs are not the only ones with causes. Most vegetarians and animal rights/environmental activists I've known are SP, and many people note that ISFPs often have a special connection to nature (being so sensory oriented). INFPs are not the only Fi-dom on a mission. My ISFP step dad gets much more gung ho when it comes to his beliefs than I do. Being action oriented, he "hits the pavement" so to speak without much thought. I tend to mull things over and form longterm goals to build up to, which delays my action.

Oh yeah, and a lot of ISFPs are strange also. My step-dad is easily as odd as I am. :tongue: