• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs interested in science

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are there any NFs here that like science? If so, which field of science interests you the most?

I find areas in biology, chemistry, physics, and earth and space sciences very fascinating. In biology, I'm particularly interested in anatomy and physiology, genetics, botany, and evolution. Chemistry, I enjoy learning about biochemistry, organic chemistry. Physics, I like topics pertaining to wave and particle motion (i.e. sound, harmonic motion, electromagnetic spectrum), optics, and electrical circuits. Earth and space sciences, I like meteorology, astronomy, and plate tectonics.

So what of the sciences did you find interesting in school?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a child and teenager, science and math were my favorite subjects in school. :)

I was most drawn to biology - specific topics that interested me were genetics, evolution, and ecology. Throw in natural history...learning about individual organisms, whether they be birds, flowers, etc, was also great. And birding was a main hobby of mine starting in junior high. I also subscribed to a few magazines related to these topics, and read some non-fiction books as well, during my free time. Still definitely enjoy all of these topics and love learning more about any of it.

Outside of biology, in high-school level science, I enjoyed all of it - chemistry was great, as was earth science/geology, etc. Even physics was ok. However, once in college, I quickly learned I wasn't that into physics, and although I still found chemistry interesting, I wasn't super skilled at the coursework (getting into organic)...I couldn't ever achieve higher than a B. Which frustrated me. :smile: LOVED math (calculus) courses in college, though.

Phenix

MBTI Type
INFP
I have an amateur interest in astronomy, physics, relativity, particle theory, and quantum mechanics.

P

Phantonym

^^Yup, what you peeps have said. Science stuff makes my eyes sparkle, occasionally.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I knew I liked you guys. ;)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I enjoy learning about useful plants, which I guess is a branch of botany.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Astronomy is my path not taken. I have a life-long love of it, but not much training. Maybe when I'm a little old lady with arthritis who can no longer play instruments I'll get a physics degree online. :yes:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you cheat during an organic chemistry test, is it called carbon copying?

My science classes were always amongst my favorites. My dislike for repetitive math always held me back, but the concepts always fascinated me.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I love science! I have a big thing for biology as a whole, genetics in particular. I love anatomy and physiology, anything that deals with the human brain, pathology, chemistry, astronomy, and quantum physics really interests me. Maybe I'll think of more later.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not versed in science yet, but will be. I'm going to major in Exercise Science. I'm pretty excited about being immersed in it.
Physiology. Kinesiology.
Space sciences have interested me from afar, but it's hard to seek it out myself. :laugh: I know a few people who would love to share information regarding it, but get silenced by other people who don't care.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm interested in biology, and even a bit in chemistry though I don't care for math. I have a very pedestrian interest in genetics. One of my sisters has a BS in Biology, and another sister majored in Biology but dropped out of college - they're both NFs.

G

garbage

I work in research, so I touch on all kinds of science all over the place. Most of my hard science experience is in space physics and electrophysics. Overall, though, I'm more into the soft sciences.. especially psychology, economics, linguistics, artificial intelligence, cognitive science, and neuroscience.

I've also been into computer programming since I can remember, and my Ph.D. curriculum is about half computer science courses. However, I'm more interested in computer programming as a means to an end--playing around in software is an excellent way to see creative ideas and "what-if" scenarios come to life--not because I'm actually interested in algorithmic computer science in and of itself. Most of my interests happen to align with what many computer science courses touch on, though.

Gifts Differing states that 25% or so of Research Scientists are NF, while most of the rest are NT. We've still got a sizable proportion of the field :2ar15:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Are there any NFs here that like science? If so, which field of science interests you the most?

I find areas in biology, chemistry, physics, and earth and space sciences very fascinating. In biology, I'm particularly interested in anatomy and physiology, genetics, botany, and evolution. Chemistry, I enjoy learning about biochemistry, organic chemistry. Physics, I like topics pertaining to wave and particle motion (i.e. sound, harmonic motion, electromagnetic spectrum), optics, and electrical circuits. Earth and space sciences, I like meteorology, astronomy, and plate tectonics.

So what of the sciences did you find interesting in school?

I'm a physicist (and electrical engineer). I think I'd find all areas of science interesting though. I just have this curiosity and want to know and understand them.

The parts that interest me most are the ones that answer the big questions. Genetics and understanding who we are, how to build life. Astronomy and cosmology and understanding what is around us in the universe and how we ended up on some habitable planet in some small corner of it. Chemistry and seeing how things mix and combine. Physics and understanding what makes up everything at the fundamental level, how it all works. Biology and understanding the systems that make up the living world. Science rules.

I work in research

To NF scientists :cheers:

turospalacsinta

MBTI Type
INFJ
I find space science very fascinating, after that math is my second favorite. I also like history, physics, and chemistry. I have many interests. :D

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
Ecology-most fascinating and all encompassing, to my brain at the moment.

Evolutionary Sciences

Medical research science--very useful day to day... and genetics--powerful stuff

also like nutrition, chemistry and toxicology

G

garbage

and electrical engineer

:shock: Me too! Then it turned out that I wasn't quite into the drill-down, dig-deep, overly-technical work that my TJ brethren thrived in. So I ended up gravitating to the exact opposite of that, getting into research and exploration and generalization and the big questions, stopping into systems engineering along the way. Broad-based research is just the kind of mindset I'm most comfortable with.

Science!

nanook

a scream in a vortex
archeology when i was a child.
but honestly i didnt really wan't to assemble bones to no end.
i just wanted to imagine the dream of evolution, including human zeitgeists of the eras.
including science fiction.

science in school never interested me much.
i could have liked biology, if it was presented in a less fragmented way.
the idea of a fungus that is a connected intelligence ranging over a whole country is kind of fascinating.
imagining osmosis is not unlike imagining cognitive functions or any dynamic.

but understanding anything precisely according to a text book is fucking boring, no matter what topic it is.
if you get creative and reinvent nature, improve it a little, in order make more sense out of the fragmentation which is left by a reductionist presentation, you will get bad grades. who needs that shit.

i liked arts a lot and a little bit of architecture as a boring substitute for the invention of amazing mecha designs....

i dig some neuroscience today and occasionally I try to stay ahead of the info about earth-changing inventions, from energy stuff to little gadgets. still all about evolution. google ftw :D

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I have always liked science and math, but that was my father's side of campus, so I stayed on the other side.

Sauropsidian

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yep, biology is probably one of the things I'm most interested in, especially evolution and zoology :). I also liked most of the school-level sciences. But, anything with too much math scares me :p