User Tag List

First 56789 Last

majored in biochem and in grad school did biophysics/NMR/protein structural dynamics. I find science "beautiful".

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    majored in biochem and in grad school did biophysics/NMR/protein structural dynamics. I find science "beautiful".
    I hope to do NMR, or more correctly as applied in medical imaging context, MRI.

My perception of what science "is", and how "nerdy" people view themselves varies greatly upon where I am. The science is much simpler in what I do now, and I cant help but laugh when our ESFJ instrcutor comments on how much of a [science subject] nerd she is. As someone told me once, when it comes to nerdiness there are lots of different levels. Some people use big words once in a while, other people should be characters on the tv show big bang theory, and all the levels in between.

I wonder if a lot of NF's are more in love with the idea or notion of science than they are with actually *doing* science??? Or maybe I just spent too much time in non-NFy science areas and dont realize that a lot of NF's like other kinds of science??? Anyways

Anew Leaf

Wait, NF's can do science?! I thought we weren't logical enough for this kind of work!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

One of my INFJ friends is very interested in computers, and computer science (if that counts in this thread) -- and he's told me that the reason why he likes it, is the same reason why he's interested in linguistics. He likes that a computer is something that you can learn to communicate with, that can talk to you in a very straightforward way as long as you know its language.

In other words...

~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Wait, NF's can do science?! I thought we weren't logical enough for this kind of work!

No, we're just *interested*. Kind of like dogs who like to watch Law & Order on TV.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post

To paraphrase the great Lyle Lanley: "You know an NF with science is a little like the mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it!"

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    One of my INFJ friends is very interested in computers, and computer science (if that counts in this thread) -- and he's told me that the reason why he likes it, is the same reason why he's interested in linguistics. He likes that a computer is something that you can learn to communicate with, that can talk to you in a very straightforward way as long as you know its language.
    Man, yeah. Linguistics kicks ass. I'm also a fan of semiotics in general, for similar reasons.

Computers can be pretty neat because they allow us to create models of real-world phenomena and explore them. They're a bit too impersonal and I don't have much patience with them nowadays--I can't stare at code for very long--but I get a kick out of giving others a vision and working with them to implement it.

edit: I posted pretty much this same damn thing two years ago, too

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

NF is the very last thing I would test as and I like cosmology, and so do a lot of NFs because of the spiritual side to cosmology, whereas I am into the physical mastery side of it.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I write software for a living. Not sure if it was the "best" choice for me, but it pays the bills.

I <3 science fiction (good stuff like Star Trek before DS9), and I find the elegant mathematics used in cryptology amazing. I'm amazed by many of the sciences, including the "soft" sciences like psychology, anthropology and archeology. I love stargazing although I know almost nothing about astronomy, and things like chemistry and biology are fascinating also.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I love science and math.

I'm not into life sciences. I'm more a physics/chemistry chick. I took Chem 2 for fun in college and only physics 1 in college cause I went the mech e way because as an 18 year old I had no idea what I wanted to do. I thought engineering was math and science.

I liked control systems design, thermo and compressible fluid flow best in college. I don't remember it now.