User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    abstract math makes me very happy. (Notice I just attached an emotive response to a logical concept?) I loved [quantum mechanics] in a very Fi sort of way. I found in beautifully abstract and symmetric.

I couldnt keep the math details quite tight enough to be a physicist. I would get the big picture, but make too many small math mistakes.
    Yes! Exactly like me. I love math but make a lot of small mistakes. I love how beautiful, truthful and symmetric it is. I think I would be better in for example languages (got better grades in languages etc) but somehow I feel that studying math is more rewarding and fascinating than studying languages would be, and it really makes me understand something about the world. I believe in a sort of pantheistic deity, and math creates such a perfect and beautiful world right in front of me that I feel that it helps me to understand this God that I believe in.

My math teacher in high school always talked about his love for the "beauty" of math, and how math is a "perfect" system. On the other hand, he was also quite mean to some students, and not many students liked him. I loved the way he taught math and talked about it even though I did think that he was horribly mean sometimes. I think he was an INTJ whose Fi shined through when he talked about math so lovingly.

MBTI
    intp

Btw, I've noted that also Albert Einstein has said things that suggest that his relationship with science was tender and caring and not harshly logical. I wonder why he's typed as an INTP who's not even supposed to have Fi. Is it that he's supposed to be an NT because he was intelligent and prospered in science? Or are there some *real* reasons for why he's been unanimously typed as an INTP? I'm not saying that he can't be an INTP, just wondering... And if he indeed is an INTP, then we can't say that it's an "NF thing" to have a tender and caring relationship with science, to see beauty and symmetry in science, to see God in science.

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    We're also not gonna come across as feelers overall, even though it might show from time to time. In my research center of 10, I know of myself and potentially two other feelers. I say "potentially" because it's hard to tell in our environment and the kind of work we do.

This is just like the phenomenon many Ps will come across as Js when J traits are more useful--which, in the working environment, is a lot. In fact, two ENTPs here typed themselves as ENTJs when there's virtually no way of that happening based on what I've seen of how they think and work.
    Yeh, I probably come across as similar to the ENTPs at work, but a bit more visual and to the point. Like I'll give visual descriptions of systems and interactions normally rather than full technical descriptions. Fi would be used most for getting on the same wavelength as people to understand stuff. I tend to not touch on personal stuff much at all.

I think my most obvious NF characteristic at work is probably doing silly things like starting picture drawing on the sheets put up to write tasks on in project meetings. And the obvious ENFP inconsistency: Do little or nothing for an hour, blitz for an hour, be managerial, answer to all, arrive at 9am one day, 11:30 am the next, etc.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
    My INFP friend loves computer science.
    Me too. I hate math, but I like computers.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    Are there any NFs here that like science? If so, which field of science interests you the most?

I find areas in biology, chemistry, physics, and earth and space sciences very fascinating. In biology, I'm particularly interested in anatomy and physiology, genetics, botany, and evolution. Chemistry, I enjoy learning about biochemistry, organic chemistry. Physics, I like topics pertaining to wave and particle motion (i.e. sound, harmonic motion, electromagnetic spectrum), optics, and electrical circuits. Earth and space sciences, I like meteorology, astronomy, and plate tectonics.

So what of the sciences did you find interesting in school?
    I like physics, thermodynamics, physiology, genetics, evolution, some chemistry, anatomy, endocrinology, zoology, botany, behavioral psychology.

I am also interested in nanotechnology, but people don't know that much about it yet.

(I'm a kinesiology major, pre-physical therapy. Kinesiology is the study of human movement.)
    Holy sh**t a talking muffin!

All shotguns and lace.

Junior Member lovely empty space's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I like learning about astronomy, earth science, biology (evolution, more specifically), and, well, psychology. Most of my focus is on space right now, though. And when I say like, I mean I obsessively look for information on the subjects.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by lovely empty space View Post
    I like learning about astronomy, earth science, biology (evolution, more specifically), and, well, psychology. Most of my focus is on space right now, though. And when I say like, I mean I obsessively look for information on the subjects.
    Let me guess, you can lose track of time in Wikipedia just by clicking on link after link to know more
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFJ

I did Engineering for my career. I studied a lot of different stuff before getting there though I did two years of CompSc and was in third year Math when my Ex the Rx convinced me to transfer to Engineering. Definitely one of those occasion where I find myself asking, "why, oh why, didn't I take the blue pill? Or have a Bond cigarette!".

Before that I studied a bunch of different topics, I had taken half of second year astronomy but the credits didn't count in Engineering so I couldn't go further with it at the time. I liked chemistry but hated thermodynamics, was probably the teacher, you know I can't think of one teacher in all that time that made me want to start singing Van Halen. How depressing is that?! Although there were some T.A.'s, most were too Scientific! There was one TA from Anthropology. *sigh*

I really liked Orthopedic-Biomechanics, that was a cool class, I took it because I fractured my back skating so I did my paper on arterial spinal fusion. Our first lab was so awesome it was in the medical building, they had stations for each section of the body at each station was three versions. Like a foot with muscles, one with ligaments and one with just the bones, we got to study them which seemed a lot like making the walk again. Another cool elective was Naval Architecture, I only did part one which was hull design would be fun to build a sailboat one day. Not holding my breath though, it's too hard when you're swimming.

I've read lots of books for 'because', Time, Space, and Matter. Time Travel in Einstein's Universe, The Mathematical Universe, The Case for Mars... Honestly they got nothing on The Canterbury Tales, Beowulf, or Dante. Although I do find the evolution of written language fascinating, I mean like poetry structure and narrations types, even the evolution of vowels. And you wonder why I don't have a date on a Friday night, gah 35 and life and counting, 35 and life to go. You'd have to wiki it but I think when Chaucer wrote it, it was the first time an unreliable narrator was used. Neverminding, yup it was.

These days I like my guitar, cooking and looking at the stars, there is the job too. But who doesn't like a good documentary? I remember growing up, Cosmos with Carl Sagan is the first, best of all time Space documentary! "Milllllions and millllions of stars!" he had such an awesome voice.

MBTI
    INFP

I am proud to be in the company of such NFs as you all.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

YES!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I would like to point out that there is a tremendous difference between being interested in science, working in science, working in the sciences pursuing research at the PhD level, and doing so in the hard sciences or engineering.