User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    BTW for all of you NFs that like to dabble in different areas of science should read Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. Bill Bryson has to be a total NF because he writes in a way that appeals to us: interesting, unsual, informative tales and fascinating trivia told in a theoretical, accessible and witty manner. I've read it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. A warning though: you will find yourself boring others with your enthusiatically told tidbits that begin with "Did you know..?" and "I read something really fascinating other day...".
    NeSi is well-tuned for trivia? I have lots of seemingly useless facts stored in my head
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

This whole thread gives me a fuzzy feeling.

Hooray for NF's and science.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    NeSi is well-tuned for trivia? I have lots of seemingly useless facts stored in my head
    Same here. I'm good with useless facts but if its actually important it goes in one ear and out the other

You're right it does make sense. Ne loves novelty and Si loves collecting and reviewing facts/data. The two combined = trivia

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm into food technology; there's not a lot of NF's studying this, it's mostly Sensors I'd say.

I like science a lot (almost any field), but I do admit that I have to trick myself into seeing a poetic side of it before I can happily immerse myself in my studies.

Also, my Ni+Ti isn't very helpful when it comes to memorizing facts; I grasp abstract concepts quite easily, but my long-term memory for scientific facts is rather weak; and I suck at repetitive laboratory work because I'm too distracted.

MBTI
    ISFJ

BTW for all of you NFs that like to dabble in different areas of science should read Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. Bill Bryson has to be a total NF because he writes in a way that appeals to us: interesting, unsual, informative tales and fascinating trivia told in a theoretical, accessible and witty manner. I've read it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. A warning though: you will find yourself boring others with your enthusiatically told tidbits that begin with "Did you know..?" and "I read something really fascinating other day...".
    I can attest to most of this
    One of the best books I've ever read.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I can attest to most of this
    One of the best books I've ever read.
    Yay! I agree!

Did you go around lecturing people about that creepy but amazing slime mould, the misadventures of Guillaume le Gentil or the unappreciated genuis of Charles Lyell?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Yay! I agree!

Did you go around lecturing people about that creepy but amazing slime mould, the misadventures of Guillaume le Gentil or the unappreciated genuis of Charles Lyell?
    Alas...your Si might be tertiary but mine is inferior...

I do recall talking about Newton's stories though. And I forgot about most of what I learned there too

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Alas...your Si might be tertiary but mine is inferior...

I do recall talking about Newton's stories though. And I forgot about most of what I learned there too
    I meant at the time you were reading it and with book in hand. I forget this stuff pretty quickly too. I only vaguely remember some things because of the second reading and because I have the book with me to confirm the details.

I figure I will retain around 30% of it by the 10th reading . And there are some benefits to a poor memory: you get to enjoy the same things over and over again.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Who are these "NF scientists" of which you speak???
    All of the scientists who polled as NF in that Gifts Differing book.

I think I've had one, read that one, NF peer in all my time, at least at the "working towards a PhD" level. INTJ's are a dime a dozen here IME , with the occasional INTP, ENTJ, or ISTP thrown in for good measure.
    We're also not gonna come across as feelers overall, even though it might show from time to time. In my research center of 10, I know of myself and potentially two other feelers. I say "potentially" because it's hard to tell in our environment and the kind of work we do.

This is just like the phenomenon many Ps will come across as Js when J traits are more useful--which, in the working environment, is a lot. In fact, two ENTPs here typed themselves as ENTJs when there's virtually no way of that happening based on what I've seen of how they think and work.

MBTI
    intp

I have an amateur interest in cosmology, astronomy, physics, evolution biology, archaeology and everything pre-history. I minor in math at a university and hope that it will give me tools to better understand the fields of science that I have an amateur interest in.

"INfJ"

You don't have to type yourself with a small F just because you love science, you know.