Thread: What type....

Senior Member Just another ISTJ's Avatar
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTP

I went into this thread expecting the majority of responses to be STJ based on previous polls and topics. I wasn't let down apparently!

Thus, in the interest of figuring out why the sensing, thinking, and judging types are so repulsive, can you folks share some reasons why?

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Just another ISTJ View Post
    I went into this thread expecting the majority of responses to be STJ based on previous polls and topics. I wasn't let down apparently!

Thus, in the interest of figuring out why the sensing, thinking, and judging types are so repulsive, can you folks share some reasons why?
    You aren't repulsive. (warm fuzzy XNFP answer)
    You just aren't my type, which sucks for me really. You guys, some times can be a bit curt (and insensitive), and your priorities are different to mine, but repulsive, not so much.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

Some STJ's I knew ignored, and even rejected intuition, the very function the MBTI fanbase adores. Their preferences for thinking really seemed to make them even more critical of it than their feeling counterparts. I've also met very charming, witty ISTJ's who enjoy me and all my quirkiness, one of which just so happens to be one of my dearest friends.

I sort of think people use "_STJ" as a relative term for someone who was critical and narrow-minded to them, without really knowing (or caring to know) their actual type. :rolli:

garbage

It has nothing to do with them being "repulsive."

We just think really, really differently. About pretty much everything. It's nearly impossible to close the psychological distance as a result.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post
    STJs...surprise?

and i live with 2 ISTJs.
    Unlucky.... it seem this is probably common with NT's

MBTI
    ENTP

SJ's would by high up on my list of people to avoid. When an SJ is stressed or unsure of themselves, the first thing they do is try to control the situation, weather they know what they are doing or not. I've spent several years of my life around stressed SJ, not a pretty site, wont listen to professional expertise to the point of sheer bloody rudeness. Where they are not compotent at something they dont' own it and ask for help they simply try and control.. it's really seriously unpleasant to be on the receving end of. They don't respect other people, but desire to be respected even if they are beign dicks. Sorry to put this bluntly....

Note that they are not bad people, just have shite coping mechanisims.

MBTI
    ENTP

NFs - when I posted this yesterday no one replied to begin with and I wasn't sure if it was an NF idelaisim that we should treat all people equaly, thanks for sharing. I gues the N S divide is really truly there and it works on NF's as is does on NT's

Instigator, First Class LovelyAngel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Awww! I knew my response would look bad! And I’m relatively new here – I had no idea there was a history of low STJ rating from this corner of the forums.

I really didn’t mean to besmirch xSTJs. They have a lot of great qualities, and in the workplace I’d want an army of them for getting things done. And one of my best friends – we go back over 40 years – is an ISTJ.

I tend to get along with most everyone, but when I have relationship difficulties (at home or in the workplace), it has always been with xSTJs. It is probably the extremes where type differences cause problems. My strong N ran afoul of extreme SJ tendencies – largely resulting in miscommunications, misunderstandings, and clashes of values. My use of metaphors and allegories perplexed my xSTJ counterparts, and their literal interpretation of seemingly everything drove me nuts.

The xSTJs I had problems with had very sharply drawn boundaries – things were very black and white, right and wrong. I would challenge rules (often verbally, not actually break them, although sometimes I did) I thought were obsolete or not true to the original intent or principles – the xSTJs were horrified. (Again, extremes can be problematic.) We argued over “facts.” We argued over change. We argued over principles. Mainly, we didn’t see eye-to-eye often enough to have a warm relationship. We generally managed a working relationship, and we agreed to disagree.

The xSTJs around me are industrious, conscientious, just, and logical. Some have a good sense of humor – the ones who don’t are scary to me.

It takes a lot more energy for me to communicate with and work with xSTJs. For some reason they drain me more easily than the other types. xSTJs are excellent companions for a great many kinds of people; they just don’t work for me. And I’ll admit my quirks and radical thinking and flightiness and irreverence are irritants to the STJs I’m working with.
    "There is always something to do. There are hungry people to feed, naked people to clothe, sick people to comfort and make well. And while I don't expect you to save the world I do think it's not asking too much for you to love those with whom you sleep, share the happiness of those whom you call friend, engage those among you who are visionary and remove from your life those who offer you depression, despair and disrespect."
    -- Nikki Giovanni

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyAngel View Post

The xSTJs I had problems with had very sharply drawn boundaries – things were very black and white, right and wrong. I would challenge rules (often verbally, not actually break them, although sometimes I did) I thought were obsolete or not true to the original intent or principles – the xSTJs were horrified. (Again, extremes can be problematic.) We argued over “facts.” We argued over change. We argued over principles. Mainly, we didn’t see eye-to-eye often enough to have a warm relationship. We generally managed a working relationship, and we agreed to disagree.

That has been my experience too, not only would this cause him to be horrified, but because I broke the rule, even though I didn't agree with it's principles and had fair valid reasons to break those rules from where I see the world, it became a permanent wound that would continuously be used against me no matter how much time had passed since it happened.

Hold an unreasonable grudge, forever.

I wouldn't not date an xSTJ though, just based on that experience, plus there are finer points to the type that do make it worthwhile if those unreasonable parts are matured beyond.

I always seem to end up with STj's trying to tame me.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INXP

That makes sense.. an NFP would be rationalising the STJ rules against internal standards and values, and not the society ones. The STJ would typically be valuing them due to their importance in an ordered society, and because that society values them.

In short : argue.