User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 98

  1. #41
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    I always approve of toonia's posts and their implications. I just wish she made more of them.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  2. #42
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    But this talk about hurting people for their own good. It doesn't fit my idea of empathy. If you hurt them for their own good you would have to do it with empathy, because otherwise you are not doing it for their good, but to defend yourself. And the old saying before the whipping started, this is for your own good, this will hurt me more than you. I am sure it has been used as much with the meaning "the society doesn't allow your actions, so you need to not be you", that is, without empathy. The stern father is afraid of being humiliated by his peers because of his son's eccentric behavior, or something like that.
    I definitely feel these words here. I think it's all through different means.. For us NF'y people, it's empathy and emotion that drives us to this concept of hurting people for their own good. Empathy might not at all be in the equation for a thinker (hurting for their own good because logically they've come to the conclusion this needs to be done.. whether that conclusion emotionally effects them or not is irrelevent to the situation, or is an afterthought).. My mutual friends ENFP and ISTJ would both tell me that the times they would fight about a subject, it wouldn't be about the end result as usually this was the same.. but the pathways they took to get to that result were drastically different.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    It's people being emotionally lazy imo. I have those moments too. I'm ok with people not doing the emotionally proper thing, as long as they don't get on my case about being 'logically' lazy, coz I feel that drains me if done constantly. Hypocrisy, meh. Let people just be who they are and realize we all have got our preferences and weaknesses. The thing that pisses me off is when someone gets rude about you not obliging to *their* logical standard when explaining shit. And then when you call them on it, they're like..oh my god, don't be such a baby. That's just..yeah. Take a look in the mirror.
    +1. Try not to complain and belittle my ways, and I'll try to do the same for you.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  3. #43
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I just don't get how oblivious a lot of people seem to be to the feelings of others. How can you say/do certain types of things and not understand, or suspect, that you're hurting the other person? I know NFs are supposed to be hyper-sensitive to this kind of thing and we're supposed to have a natural advantage...but I don't know that this is even all that type-related. If you have that big of a blind spot to other people's feelings or the types of things that are likely to hurt, you've got a problem - most likely that you just don't care that much about anyone's feelings except your own. Apparently even saying "sorry if that came across as insensitive" is too damn hard for so many people.

    Hm, I'm not having a good week...
    as one of those evilly insensitive people, I'm going to weigh in a bit here (sorry, didn't read through the whole thread, I'm also doing dishes! )

    usually, I tend to speak without thinking- I end up saying something insensitive without it even occurring to me that I'm doing so- my sister is very good at pointing this out to me in a very angry ENFJish manner If I realize I've been an ass, I'll appologize, and probably trip over myself trying to explain WHY I said it, which is also apparently the wrong response

    I've talked to other ExTPs who have the same problem...

    The point I'm trying to make is that we're not being assholes on purpose- we're just not that in tune with what's going on all of the time
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  4. #44
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Some people are just blunt and less sensitive and don't realize how mean they've been, but a lot of people (and nobody is going to admit to this) do intend to hurt. They have a major aggressive and hateful streak and this seems to exist equally in Fs and Ts...When they feel threatened, insecure or jealous watch out. These people can be nice most of the time and then turn into a different person when the 'claws' come out.

  5. #45
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    I find that knowing where people comes from helps a lot. I used to think that a lot of people were insensitive (but I never really cared), but then I realized that some of these people didn't know any better or didn't have the intent of offending. I think that jenocyde made a good point. She treats people as she wants to be treated; and is shocked when they get offended. I think that this is what a lot of T types do. All that I personally have to do to not get offended by people when they don't mean it is to simply tell myself that. Have some empathy for those who are like that. After I started to do that I started to enjoy T's a lot more, and I think that they enjoy me a lot more too.

    Another thing that I learned from having this mindset is that my feelings aren't the most important thing in the world. If you ignore your feelings social situations (which usually aren't right due to subjectivity and the totally different ways of seeing things) and get to the core of the interaction, then there you go. Hell, ignoring my feelings whenever possible has gotten me the best results; and in seeing that result my feelings are better.

    I also think it's funny how a lot of people complain about people who aren't as conscious of feelings (mostly NFs), but they themselves don't have the capacity to be empathetic enough to understand where they are coming from with not being conscious of other's emotions.

    It's just another thing to deal with. You can't "fix" something like that in a person. It's just another character trait. That's what typology is all about. Some people are just genuinely bad with other people's inner feelings (E_TPs being the worst), and as you can see this manifests itself in various ways.

    Also, @ SilkRoad- don't be around people who make you feel unsettled. I'm just sharing my experience and perspective, and I'm not trying to accuse you of anything. If these kinds of people make you feel bad, then by all means don't hang around them. No need to be masochistic.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  6. #46
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I find that knowing where people comes from helps a lot. I used to think that a lot of people were insensitive (but I never really cared), but then I realized that some of these people didn't know any better or didn't have the intent of offending. I think that jenocyde made a good point. She treats people as she wants to be treated; and is shocked when they get offended. I think that this is what a lot of T types do. All that I personally have to do to not get offended by people when they don't mean it is to simply tell myself that. Have some empathy for those who are like that. After I started to do that I started to enjoy T's a lot more, and I think that they enjoy me a lot more too.

    Another thing that I learned from having this mindset is that my feelings aren't the most important thing in the world. If you ignore your feelings social situations (which usually aren't right due to subjectivity and the totally different ways of seeing things) and get to the core of the interaction, then there you go. Hell, ignoring my feelings whenever possible has gotten me the best results; and in seeing that result my feelings are better.

    I also think it's funny how a lot of people complain about people who aren't as conscious of feelings (mostly NFs), but they themselves don't have the capacity to be empathetic enough to understand where they are coming from with not being conscious of other's emotions.

    It's just another thing to deal with. You can't "fix" something like that in a person. It's just another character trait. That's what typology is all about. Some people are just genuinely bad with other people's inner feelings (E_TPs being the worst), and as you can see this manifests itself in various ways.

    Also, @ SilkRoad- don't be around people who make you feel unsettled. I'm just sharing my experience and perspective, and I'm not trying to accuse you of anything. If these kinds of people make you feel bad, then by all means don't hang around them. No need to be masochistic.
    I really agree with this post. I learned when I've let go of "personal" offense by realizing it's not about me, then I stopped being offended by about 85% of what people say and do. There are some situations where it's difficult to let go of this attitude (distinguishing between what people mean and what they don't mean...basically what notsweetynice alluded to), but in my casual interactions I'm going to have to say I agree with the ExTPs who've chimed in.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  7. #47
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I really agree with this post. I learned when I've let go of "personal" offense by realizing it's not about me, then I stopped being offended by about 85% of what people say and do. There are some situations where it's difficult to let go of this attitude (distinguishing between what people mean and what they don't mean...basically what notsweetynice alluded to), but in my casual interactions I'm going to have to say I agree with the ExTPs who've chimed in.


    I really really wish that all NFs would realize this!

    A lot of the time I don't hang out with strong feelers because it's exhausting to have to tiptoe through the minefield and to FORCE myself to think "will this be construed as offensive?" before speaking when I'm not even used to thinking before speaking!

    I mean, I try, but too much time with someone who's super touchy will always leave me running off to hide and calling my ESTJ best friend to bitch (she does the same to me)

    My sis and I had this argument over the holidays- she got mad at me for some comment that I'd made because she misconstued it and took it personally- she yelled at me and I didn't even realize I'd done anything wrong!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #48
    Charting a course
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post


    I really really wish that all NFs would realize this!

    A lot of the time I don't hang out with strong feelers because it's exhausting to have to tiptoe through the minefield and to FORCE myself to think "will this be construed as offensive?" before speaking when I'm not even used to thinking before speaking!

    I mean, I try, but too much time with someone who's super touchy will always leave me running off to hide and calling my ESTJ best friend to bitch (she does the same to me)

    My sis and I had this argument over the holidays- she got mad at me for some comment that I'd made because she misconstued it and took it personally- she yelled at me and I didn't even realize I'd done anything wrong!
    I'm offended!



  9. #49
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I always approve of toonia's posts and their implications. I just wish she made more of them.
    I wanted to be clear that I know your statement is balanced showing the issue from the other view.

    My point is to say that taking this idea in either extreme can produce problematic results.

    In the end it is also somewhat irrelevant whether or not a person has worked out a personal justification for dismissing reason or empathy because either way the person has to face the consequences of taking a particular approach and/or dismissing another approach. Rationalizations just tend to keep things more deeply entrenched and less adaptable.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I find that knowing where people comes from helps a lot. I used to think that a lot of people were insensitive (but I never really cared), but then I realized that some of these people didn't know any better or didn't have the intent of offending...
    Your entire post was

    In the end it would seem that accurate empathy would make a person less sensitive because it makes them more aware of the actual perspective of the other person. I have maintained a connection with one of my mentors who is exceptionally direct and offends a great many people, but I can see clearly how different her intent is from the way people keep interpreting her. She is mystified by "Midwestern politeness" and struggles to understand how these people think. Why do they initially say "no" if they mean "yes"? Why do they not speak up and just say what they mean? Why would they be offended by something that is correct and true? We formed a special connection because she can see I tend towards that same politeness, but also am never offended by her.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  10. #50
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I really agree with this post. I learned when I've let go of "personal" offense by realizing it's not about me, then I stopped being offended by about 85% of what people say and do. There are some situations where it's difficult to let go of this attitude (distinguishing between what people mean and what they don't mean...basically what notsweetynice alluded to), but in my casual interactions I'm going to have to say I agree with the ExTPs who've chimed in.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post


    I really really wish that all NFs would realize this!

    A lot of the time I don't hang out with strong feelers because it's exhausting to have to tiptoe through the minefield and to FORCE myself to think "will this be construed as offensive?" before speaking when I'm not even used to thinking before speaking!

    I mean, I try, but too much time with someone who's super touchy will always leave me running off to hide and calling my ESTJ best friend to bitch (she does the same to me)

    My sis and I had this argument over the holidays- she got mad at me for some comment that I'd made because she misconstued it and took it personally- she yelled at me and I didn't even realize I'd done anything wrong!
    Thanks, protean.

    I think that it's way too much effort to get offended and take things too personally. I always ask myself- what is the purpose? What will this accomplish? Nothing. Having too many emotions NEVER accomplishes anything or makes anything better. It makes things WORSE. So if you KNOW that someone is bad with people's inner feelings and they don't intend to offend you, what's the purpose of getting all emotional over it? You're just going to confuse the hell out of someone and make things more complicated for both people.

    This is all apart of balance and personal growth imo.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Similar Threads

  1. your mental illness is NOT an excuse to be an asshole
    By miss fortune in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 01-12-2016, 10:06 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Is my lack of certainty about other people an indication that I'm not iNtuitive?
    By SilkRoad in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 07:38 PM
  3. [INFJ] Is this typical of an INFJ?
    By whynot in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 07:58 PM
  4. [ENFJ] Is this more of an ENFJ or INFJ thing to do?
    By Lissa in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 09:22 PM
  5. [NF] NFs: What Is Your Opinion of "What Not to Wear"?
    By kiddykat in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 06:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO