User Tag List

12 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default So unobservant of my physical surroundings it's frightening

No wonder my parents are always telling me to be careful when I cross the road (and I'm not 8 years old.) They obviously know/sense that I don't know what's going on around me.

This afternoon at my office I went downstairs to the postroom to get some chips (they call them crisps here!) from the vending machine. The postroom has been rearranged and I asked one of the guys "is the vending machine still here?" He looked amused and said "no, it's just outside the door." I had just walked past THREE vending machines.

I have also been known to not notice when a tree has been chopped down outside my house. That sort of thing.

It sort of amuses and scares me at the same time. Of course, it is especially likely to happen if I am preoccupied with many complicated and tiring thoughts and though that's kind of always the case for me (or most of the time), it has been particularly so this week.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I know how this is, it happens to me a lot! Mom could tell me to go down to the freezer and get a package of frozen peas, and I'd go down, and during the process I'd get so lost in my own thoughts that I'd end up getting down to the freezer, and ask myself "what was it that she wanted again?" or I'd pick out the wrong thing, walk upstairs and remember I got the wrong thing and go back down.

It's really dangerous for me when music is involved. I could be carrying on conversation with someone, and if music is playing, I find it so hard to concentrate on them because my brain is focused on the thoughts/emotions that the music is giving me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post

It's really dangerous for me when music is involved. I could be carrying on conversation with someone, and if music is playing, I find it so hard to concentrate on them because my brain is focused on the thoughts/emotions that the music is giving me.
    Sometimes I think that's how I'm going to die. I'll be walking along the street listening to some of my favourite music, either happy as Larry or rather preoccupied, and then BAM. A bus. I won't even see it.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Hahahah, it happens to me all the time! It IS frightening, but somehow I end up laughing about it everytime. Like searching something where several things stand and I can just not find it, but in fact it is just in front of me.

Or I go down in house because I wanted to get something for me, then I get distracted by anything and spend there more time than I wanted and later go up again. The only thing which I forgot to take with me was that what was the reason I went down after all, so I have to go down again.

I often think I will not be able to survive alone with that attitude.

MBTI
    infp

I think the amount of dented lamp posts or better yet the dent I bashed into my forehead attest to my airheadedness.

If I have my ipod on and I am walking outside, it truly is a wonder that I am not dead yet because all that is left of me is a shell, whilst my spirit is off travelling somewhere with the music.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

I can picture myself walking past vending machines and not seeing them. I guess my senses are just tuned into a different station. I did notice that my friend was down about something before she said a word. I notice things other people overlook. The unfortunate side effect is I overlook stuff most people notice.

As a writer, I'm currently training myself to be more visually observant. It's hard going.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    If I have my ipod on and I am walking outside, it truly is a wonder that I am not dead yet because all that is left of me is a shell, whilst my spirit is off travelling somewhere with the music.
    I stopped listening to music while walking outside about 10 years ago, after I was almost hit by a street car because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterWriter View Post
    I guess my senses are just tuned into a different station.
    Yes, this is so true for myself as well. The thing is, in a way I am aware of things around me but the details escape me completely unless I am consciously focused on them. It's as if the sensory data I receive from the environment has a delayed response. I can walk on the street, I register people (or rather blobs) coming towards me and I can avoid bumping into them (it seems automatic) but it's always like in some sort of a haze, I'm so deep in thought. I can look straight at things, my mind registers it, but it emerges a while later.

For example, the other day I was choosing fruit at my local supermarket. I registered a person standing next to me, I remember thinking that it was a male but it hit me afterwards that he was actually my professor and I didn't greet him. I have these moments all the time.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Mmm yes. I've near been hit by a bus over thirty times in the past two years or so. My friends often pull me out of the road just in the nick of time. Apparently I tend to walk in the middle of the road and not notice whilst spacing out. A lot.
    The Symbol of the King*The Absolute Does Not Exist*Kingship Will Bring Me Freedom
    5w4-4w5-1w9

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post

For example, the other day I was choosing fruit at my local supermarket. I registered a person standing next to me, I remember thinking that it was a male but it hit me afterwards that he was actually my professor and I didn't greet him. I have these moments all the time.
    I do this so often, I think people think I am extremelly rude, because often by the time it's registered that I knew the person I just walked straight past without greeting, the person is long gone.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I do this so often, I think people think I am extremelly rude, because often by the time it's registered that I knew the person I just walked straight past without greeting, the person is long gone.
    I get "you looked like you were in a world of your own" a lot If I blanked someone and they bring it up and I get the impression they may have been offended, I usually just say "I seriously am in a world of my own when I'm walking/listening to music, I've done this to so many people it's not even funny, please don't take it personally"
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING