User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Auto Phobia?

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Auto Phobia?

I was wondering how other NFs (and especially INFJs) experience/deal with/conquer phobias. Input from other types is welcome as well. :-) Specifically I've wondered if any others of my type have experienced a fear of automobiles.

For awhile I was afraid to drive a car. To make a very long story somewhat brief, I finally overcame this to a large extent, got a drivers license, and started driving myself places. I always felt a little uneasy behind the wheel, but for about 9 months I was handling it pretty well and very happy about it. Well, then a few weeks ago I was in a near accident. I was in the city, pretty far from home, and had my two much younger siblings with me. It scared me (a lot) and undermined my confidence and basically. . . I've been really nervous of driving anywhere outside my small town since. I can work around this, as I work from home, and most of what I need in the way of shopping and libraries I can obtain within 20 minutes of here. When it becomes necessary to go someplace further out, I catch a ride with a family member or friend. Still, it's annoying to be this way.

It's not that I'm afraid of being injured in an accident or dying, although I don't relish either prospect, lol. I'm afraid (no, terrified) of making a driving error of some kind and killing someone. Cars are dangerous and they kill people. Driving one is such a huge responsibility. When I think of all the lives lost in automobile accidents I feel sick. So, to me, this hardly feels like an irrational fear. It's not like it's something I can reason myself out of, because the more I think about it, the worse it gets.

I do feel pretty comfortable driving around this small country town I live in, like I said. There is not much traffic, and I know the area well enough to feel fairly confident that I won't make any stupid mistakes. But it's hard to imagine, for instance, being comfortable driving around a big city that I've never visited before. Yet not being able to do that seems sort of crippling. It limits possibilities for the future so much.

I was just wondering if any of you have experienced this and if you have any insights to share. :-)

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Oh!
    At first, I thought you meant a fear of one's self.

Unfortunately, I don't have a very good answer to this(I'm an NT anyway...).
    I've only found a way around phobias by directly facing them.
    Exposure therapy. It's the roughest but most sure-fire way.

Also, I think most people would be anxious about driving in a big, unfamilar city. That kind of thing always sucks.
    It's really just a matter of how well you handle anxiety sometimes, as oppose to whether or not you feel it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Default I love driving

but i hate passenger seat drivers or control freaks. Fucking annoying. i swear I should have an eject button for the passenger seat driver. And they drive just as terrible as I do. The only difference is that can't handle not being in control. Hypocrites. Enough with this rant.

NYC is by far the best city that I have driven in. Fast, cut throat, at each other's throats. Animal instincts at it's greatest. I am a damn good driver in this city.

BTW, I have been run off the road into the turn the turn lane or onto the greens more times than not. So the idiots who don't look while getting over, please start looking. thanks, b/c if you did cause me to have an accident, my crippled ass is libel to get out and give the same damage. Eye for an eye is a fine philosophy.

(And to the intp who sees the illogical inconsistency in this post, I salute you but I am leaving it)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

This morning while on the way to school one of the first sights of the day was road kill that wasn't dead, yet. We (the drivers) drove around the animal as the younger moved around the not yet dead adult duck. Because of this these young animals would more then likely be more careful when dealing with giant hunks of rolling metal.

While I was disgusted, I still had to get to school. I drove while still distracted by the aforementioned animal, munching on an apple and playing with the bubble wrap left by the mechanics who just fixed up my car, I push past a fourteen year old who was also distracted, listening to her MP3 player, walking across the street as carelessly as I was driving. I could say that If she was hit it would be her fault that she continued walking while cars were buzzing past at 55 mph. But that would be saying that the guy playing with bubble wrap and eating and apple had no fault in the accident. I say you shouldn't have an unreasonable fear of driving, but still a fear, as I never understood why some people need the fear of getting a ticket before they can drive safely, The fear of death does the job for me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Me? I've never driven. I literally am not willing to accept the responsibility of all those people's lives, even if it costs me a lot in inconvenience or time. I'm also alarmed by the expectation to focus on something outside myself for that amount of time, because I have trouble focusing for that long.

Note that I'm not really scared for myself as much as I'm not willing to risk anyone else's life for my own convenience.

Fear... I learned early in life to confront my fears and not back away from them. So now when I realize I am afraid of something, I tackle it head on. Like right now my fear of relationships. Unfortunately it's not working out so well but one of these times it'll stick and I will overcome! Then I'll have to get over other fears... Endless cycle but it keeps life full of goals and challenges.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I was very scared at first (I actually had weird recurring dreams about driving when I started driving), but if you live in the US in a non-urban area, you don't have a lot of choice. You either drive or are dependent. I guess I fear dependence more than road dangers, so I drive. Driving in cities that are very much larger than my own scares me, sometimes to the point that I grip the wheel so hard my hands hurt and I'm so nervous I want to cry, but a girl's gotta do.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    infj

Well, I'm 24, and still have never learned to drive. It's helped that I've always lived in urban areas, where I'd prefer to take public transportation anyway. Lately I've been considering getting my license out of necessity.

I love being in cars, staring out the window, blasting music. There's something about driving and listening to a good song that is an amazing combination. Almost seems to enhance the music. But, I'm not sure how I'll like actually being the driver. I'll have to get back to you on that.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

You aren't alone. I still get very, very nervous when driving because I'm aware of how stupid people can be when they get into a car. This is why I try to walk whereever I can. But you're still going to have to drive anyway, so I guess the best you can do to confront it, is to do what you must.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by findthejake View Post
    Fear... I learned early in life to confront my fears and not back away from them. So now when I realize I am afraid of something, I tackle it head on. Like right now my fear of relationships. Unfortunately it's not working out so well but one of these times it'll stick and I will overcome! Then I'll have to get over other fears... Endless cycle but it keeps life full of goals and challenges.
    Beefcake! Beeeefcaaaaake!