User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Auto Phobia?

^the joke aludes me...

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Hrm. I almost want to say that if you're scared of driving, then DON'T. I tend to think that nervous drivers are as dangerous as those who are deliberately reckless.

I mean, I don't want to say that you're not allowed to drive, and definitely try and overcome your fears when driving where you're comfortable, but to be honest, if you're constantly jumpy and unsettled on the road, you're going to have a tendancy to move rapidly and erratically, which is bad for everyone else when they're driving around you.

This is also why I consider tailgating absolutely infuritating. Not only are they risking lives by deliberately travelling too close, they make the driver in front of them nervous and that causes even more problems. The driver ends up paying more attention to the car behind them than the road around/in front of them... and then hastily tries to get out of their way, not necessarily taking as much time to check the other lane than they should have...

Grr.

Moving on.

I actually did a defensive driving course a couple months after I got my new car, and I found that really good. They got you to brake rapidly (ABS and all), drive quickly around markers (forward and backwards), and lots of things like that. It helped me (especially cause I was a fairly new driver) to become that much more comfortable with my car and just what it could do - I feel like I can trust that the car is going to stop exactly when I need it to stop, which helps with the whole feeling comfortable on the road thing.

So maybe look into something like that?

Good luck!
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

At some point you have to surrender to the idea that there are thing which you cannot control and they can and will kill you or end up with you killing someone else. All you can do is reduce the likelihood of it happening. If your method of playing the numbers is to avoid being put in the situation where it may happen then I'd say that it's no more or less sensible than any other solution. It may well inhibit you more but it's a more certain solution as well.

You do realise though that by not paying attention when crossing a road, or some other minor incident, you may inadvertently cause an accident which results in someone's death. You just can't be certain.

Oh and driving a small, light car helps a lot as it responds to your input quicker. That's helps build confidence in so much as you know the car will respond quicker to your control and hence give you more control over it. Strangely the small sports cars are probably the safest from this perspective. Control over increase in speed gives as much confidence as the control over the reduction of speed in my experience.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    Hrm. I almost want to say that if you're scared of driving, then DON'T. I tend to think that nervous drivers are as dangerous as those who are deliberately reckless.

I mean, I don't want to say that you're not allowed to drive, and definitely try and overcome your fears when driving where you're comfortable, but to be honest, if you're constantly jumpy and unsettled on the road, you're going to have a tendancy to move rapidly and erratically, which is bad for everyone else when they're driving around you.
    I actually do the opposite. I move with steady deliberation. I'm very cautious and pass cautiously. I have never had a traffic ticket in twenty years of driving. To me, it is the reckless who move rapidly and erratically. They think they can't die or something.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    This is also why I consider tailgating absolutely infuritating. Not only are they risking lives by deliberately travelling too close, they make the driver in front of them nervous and that causes even more problems. The driver ends up paying more attention to the car behind them than the road around/in front of them... and then hastily tries to get out of their way, not necessarily taking as much time to check the other lane than they should have...
    I hate tailgating, too. I do not usually change lanes, though. I slow down so that I have more time to react because I know the tailgater is a distraction. Hopefully, they pass me. If they persist, I slow WAY down because I want them to know that their behavior does not have the desired effect and that they should stop it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I hate tailgating, too. I do not usually change lanes, though. I slow down so that I have more time to react because I know the tailgater is a distraction. Hopefully, they pass me. If they persist, I slow WAY down because I want them to know that their behavior does not have the desired effect and that they should stop it.
    Good on you.

I do it too, when I'm feeling a little mean. But mostly I can't be bothered dealing with them, and just get out of their way.

Also, it's sometimes not such a good thing to deliberately annoy tailgaters. I've heard stories where people have been followed aggressively all the way to a shopping center (she wasn't about to go home!), or, in one girl's case, the driver behind her actually *bumped* her car from behind while they were still driving. Twice!

She actually had to pull over and stop because she was so freaked out.

:steam:

This isn't helping the discussion on how not to be afraid of driving, is it?
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp