• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Cultivating Si

branflakes

MBTI Type
INFP
So I was reading this thread (INFP profile - INTJ Forum) and it gave a very in-depth description of an INFP. Reading about Fi and Ne was very interesting but what really hit me was reading about the underdeveloped Te and somewhat underdeveloped Si functions. This really hit home with me because it is very difficult for me to make big social decisions as my Fi usually wants me to have the best time even when there are many options available (such as deciding who to hang out with, which party to go to, etc.).

The OP also talks about the best way to cultivate Te and Si so that the INFP can realize that tough-minded decisions are often the best way to go and everything in the world is not the result of "personal will" (middle of the first paragraph). He/she goes on to say that the most effective and natural way for an INFP to increase his Te is to let the Si develop naturally.

My question to you guys is how do you do this?

VagrantFarce

I'm completely unconvinced that INPs find it hard to cultivate Si, and in fact I think they tend to be trapped by Si more than anything! I think Ne poses more problems. Although I only think these things because I conform to these propositions (the last two being the relevant ones), so feel free to dismiss my thoughts. :)

I also hate Solitary Walker's type descriptions, way too much unnecessary verbiage.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I'm completely unconvinced that INPs find it hard to cultivate Si, and in fact I think they tend to be trapped by Si more than anything! I think Ne poses more problems. Although I only think these things because I conform to these propositions (the last two being the relevant ones), so feel free to dismiss my thoughts. :)

I agree. :yes: My use of Si is second only to Fi. If I was an INTP I might care, but Fi + Ne doesn't seem very useful when compared to Ti + Ne. I'd rather have greater command of Te to be honest. I only wish I could rely on my inferior to get me out of my ruts instead of Ne.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I agree. My use of Si is second only to Fi. If I was an INTP I might care, but Fi + Ne doesn't seem very useful when compared to Ti + Ne. I'd rather have greater command of Te to be honest. I only wish I could rely on my inferior to get me out of my ruts instead of Ne.

I agree a lot here. With INTPs, Ne rides on their Ti, hopping from construct to construct, tying ideas together in unusual, but logical, ways. In INFPs, Ne seems to just add a level of 'Everything in the world is connected' to their Fi. The function combination that really works for INFPs, I think, is Ne and Si. Data sifted through Fi is stored in Si, and then Ne takes the data from there and connects it together to have a deeper understanding about people (Many INFPs here on this forum are very insightful).

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
excerpted from the lenore thompson exegesis wiki:

To experience Introverted Sensation:
• Pick a category of object and practice spotting it in a crowded room. Not something easy like a color, something you have to learn how to identify. For example, learn how to recognize cotton and distinguish it from other fabrics, and then try to spot all the cotton garments in a room full of people (or in your closet, if you don't want to embarrass yourself). Alternatively, learn how to identify several species of tree that live in your area, and spend an hour or so walking around identifying each kind of tree that you come across. Other possibilities: models of cars, breeds of dog, categories of differential equation. In other words, through deliberate practice, become an accurate recognizer of specific types of object, so they "jump out at you" in the midst of other things.
• While driving on a long trip (in the U.S.), note all the out-of-state license plates you see. Stay focused. Carefully check every car as it goes by. Notice everything you can about each state's plates: state mottos, colors, placement of text, pictures, any other special differences. For the full effect, write these things down in a log book.
• Do a Where's Waldo? book. (Might be too difficult to really work as an exercise.)