User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Working in a restaurant

Is anyone here a server? If so, what is your type and how do you like it? Specifically, I have noticed that most of the other servers (who are primarily girls) seem to be S's. I have been a waitress for the past four years so I am fairly good at it now but it definitely does not come naturally to me. I was wondering if any other N's or NF's have this problem. It is hard for me to multi-task in my head. I have to write everything down. The girls who do the best seem to be SJ's of some sort (in my own experience). For all the servers on here (doesn't have to be NF), do you feel like you are good at your job? Do you like it?

MBTI
    INTJ

I've worked in a lot of restaurants but always in the kitchen.

I fucking hate waitresses.

They're almost all S, yeah.

And not smart Ss either.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

You had to work to be good at it, who says that they don't work at it too?

MBTI
    INTJ

If they had to work at it then they worked so hard that it's become their persona 24/7.

Fucking waitresses.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

You wish.

MBTI
    INTJ

haha
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    You had to work to be good at it, who says that they don't work at it too?
    Perhaps they work at it too but it is an obvious difference, in my opinion, between how I am compared to how most of the other girls are. Lots of them don't write things down and they pick up on it a lot faster than I did when I was first starting out, etc. I am friends with an INFP who I work with and she is notably not on the same level as many of the other servers. She gets flustered easily and can't take as large of sections. Not saying that is how all N's/NF's would be. I have limited experience with working with other NFs in restaurants so that is why I was curious as to how others feel about being a server.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

i am an ENFP and I am a server as well. I most definitely have to make an effort to do well. I am the same way, I do get flustered easily and I have to write everything down. I also make STUPID mistakes all the time (thank Goodness the kitchen staff likes me!). My 'spontaneous-side' goes out the window while I am serving. I feel the need to have everything organized and do things by the book, which, while you are serving, takes LOTS of time, so I am always trying to do the 'right thing', but also try new ways to do it, which also makes me waste time while I am experimenting.

I have horrible Si, so I cannot remember anything on the menu, so I hardly have anything memorized.

Along with this, I am horrible at making 'small-talk' at my tables, I run out of things to talk about and then I awkwardly stand there haha.

Now that I think of it, maybe I should quit!

I do make good tips and I think people like me because I am very kind and nice no matter what the circumstance is, but, I do agree with you, Grace, I find that S's are MUCH better servers than NFs.

I work with a guy who is an ESTP and he is great with his tables.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I am not very spacially aware of my surroundings and I don't do well in those kind of settings that require lots of practical attention to what is going on, quick decision making, coordination and dealing with groups of people in that context. I think INFJs have to work at it a lot harder than a lot of other S types.

(As an aside, I always marvelled at those spy movie situations where the person got a complicated set of instructions, simply nodded and went off and accomplished it all. I'd be like, "Wait, could you repeat that?...Actually I'd better write it down too (not so good as a spy)"...And then I'd discover that I had washed the instructions in my pants pocket by accident or something even then. Never mind the physical coordination requirement.)

MBTI
    eNFp
    Enneagram

Same goes for nursing, most are S's.
    If you can make a good waitress. You can make a good nurse!
    That is why I dislike nursing, and this is before the boom started and everyone and their brother started becoming a nurse.

I still hate nursing, and I also suck as a waitress, I would rather wash dishes, or be a deli cook. Maybe a can can dancer. That way I could disassociate and not have to interact with people and be fake.