• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF's - who's writing fiction?

bronson

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Any of you other NF's into writing fiction here?

When developing characters do you type them? :) Does it help you?

What do you write? What's your focus?

Any NFJ vs NFP differences in writing style you've observed amongst friends?

E vs I?

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Any of you other NF's into writing fiction here?

When developing characters do you type them? :) Does it help you?

What do you write? What's your focus?

Any NFJ vs NFP differences in writing style you've observed amongst friends?

E vs I?

Yes. Novels.
Typology is becoming more and more useful in writing since I have discovered it, but I try to be careful not to stereotype. But yes, typology helps. But I have found that being INFJ, I already had an uncanny understanding of my characters' archetypes without MBTI or the Enneagram.

I write drama-like stories, very focused on the characters' quest for love and truth. I like to make the stories as realistic as possible, but being a believer, spiritual elements (like the Holy Spirit) somewhat appear as characters in the story. I love symbolism as well. It often comes up unconsciously, though.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I came up with my first concept for a novel in October and began writing it before i really looked into MBTI.
I let it drop off, but now i feel the need to type my characters and get a better understanding of what my mind was trying to accomplish. :)
What i'm writing is along the lines of science-fantasy. Nanowrimo was my initial focus, but then i fell in love with my characters and plot.

I've only witnessed an INTJ and ISTJ, who were far more precise. I'd imagine that they've had to expand their style over the years, while i'm learning to reel mine in. I guess it's harder for me to get to the point? (As if that weren't obvious :laugh:)
When i type my characters, i'll post again!

bronson

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
But I have found that being INFJ, I already had an uncanny understanding of my characters' archetypes without MBTI or the Enneagram.

I'm similar in a way. Except with less developed characters who need rounding out. MBTI helps with that.

I write drama-like stories, very focused on the characters' quest for love and truth. I like to make the stories as realistic as possible, but being a believer, spiritual elements (like the Holy Spirit) somewhat appear as characters in the story. I love symbolism as well. It often comes up unconsciously, though.

Thats awesome. Very interesting. I think I sometimes focus too much on social interactions between characters rather than individual motivations and journey.

I came up with my first concept for a novel in October and began writing it before i really looked into MBTI.
I let it drop off, but now i feel the need to type my characters and get a better understanding of what my mind was trying to accomplish. :)
What i'm writing is along the lines of science-fantasy.

Yeah I was writing before I discovered typology. It was helpful to round out my characters and made it easier to distinguish them from one another.

Ambrosia

MBTI Type
INFP
I have just begun to embark on the exciting process myself, I have had the idea for a couple of years but have wanted to write long before that. MBTI as a system really just gave me terms to what I sort of already knew, but I suppose it refined my vision of human consciousness. As Klessard said, I have been as careful as possible to avoid putting my characters in a box as I have been refining them, I didn't make them with a specific 'type' in mind, per say.

The project I'm working on now is science-fiction, but I have other ideas buzzing around in my head. I honestly think I'm still too soon in establishing myself as a writer to say explicitly what my focus is. But the way my plot has been progressing is almost by how my (schizotypal) main character dismantles every potential relationship he can, and how he practically "spies on" the characters he isn't able to dissect... I'm not really sure what kind of focus you would call that. :huh:

Unfortunately, the only other NF writer I know is an ENFP, and though I haven't seen her at work, she seems to be able to set off and "wing it" easier than myself. She has also suggested that we work on a piece together sometime in the future. I haven't been quite as keen about the idea as she has, I have to isolate myself to get results. Though, none of these tidbits are all that surprising.

What about you, Bronson?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
No I don't type them, I don't even plan all my characters, some of them just sort of appear whilst I am writing. The planned characters, I guess I could type them now if I focused on it, but MBTI'ing as I go along wouldn't suit me.

When I say planned, it's a minimal plan, ie I know if it's going to be female or not, I know a bit of the background, but I do wing it once I have that settled in my mind.

I like writing fantasy fiction, would like to try my hand at historical fantasy fiction too, but I think that's going to involve alot more planning beforehand.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I don't write fiction, but hypothetically if I did, typology would be most useful in defining interactions between characters, and reminding me of certain traits and conflicts. What a reader really wants is something they can relate to. Reality and your experiences are the best source for that. Typology is a good guide as to where to look and how to understand them.

On writing styles, I've mainly noticed: NFJs are very comparative, NFPs have a focus on word flow and effect over direct content.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I love writing fiction and devoloping ideas from odd things that I hear about or happen to people/me in real life. Sadly I can never seem to go through with it entirely. I enjoy writing horror, Holocaust related stories, and general fantasy.