• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP's, be honest.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
1. Do you think you're sometimes more selfish, mean, and less lovey-dovey than what people think us to be?

I think any NF type has the potential to be cold and selfish at some point in their lifetime. We may care a lot, but we do keep tabs. As an INFP, I actually give off a very reserved air, but my friends know I am quite gooey on the inside, but that does take a while. As I have gotten older and understood other people's personalities and been in my own emotionally messy situations, I have developed very little faith in other people, which means that I know now that I should do what I need to to protect myself. Eventually, NFs learn to do that and it is very important.

2. Do you in fact have a pretty dark side, which find a lot of people and things shallow, and unlikeable, and you'd like to stick pins in their eyes? But you wouldn't actually do it, because you are pretty nice realllyyy?

I do indeed have a dark side. NFs are not un-prone to evil thoughts, especially if we believed intensely about our values and principals. Anyone who irritates us and acts exceedingly stupid are recipients to dark looks and evil thoughts.

3. Do you feel frustrated towards people that don't care about things that really matter? Do you get frustrated at those that seems to only care about sports, clothes, and their hair?

I care about clothes and hair, but that's not all I care about. Okay, fine, it does really annoy me, but I have been trying lately to do what I can and not get worked up over things I can't change, things that doesn't matter.

4. Do you often feel lonely?

Somewhere between mildly lonely to lonely depending on my day and who I have been around.

5. Do you get random ideas in the middle of the night, and you get so exicted thinking about doing it tomorrow, but then tomorrow comes and you're not excited about it anymore, thus don't do it?

No. I am able to maintain excitement for at least a few weeks, if not a few months.

6. Do you consider yourself unique?

I used to. Now, I just deem myself a different person with certain traits and certain weaknesses, much like everyone, although when I am in a good mood, I feel that I am better than the average person.

7. Do you literally feel other people's pain?

I used to, a lot. But now I have localized my compassion to those who deserves it, and I am able to push that aside and work on how I may resolve the problem, or just focus on what I can do.

8. Are you a bit (or a lot) of a music snob?

YES.

9. Have you had people you've never met before tell you their life-story?

Yes...

10. Do you think the world would be a bit better with more INFP's?!

Sure. But it all depends on what INFPs do, just being INFP is not enough to receive praise.

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
it flies in the face of my claim to uniqueness, but i'd like to borrow a couple of souffle's answers, because they articulate my own feelings on the issues well. hey, as long as i return them, no? ;)

1. Do you think you're sometimes more selfish, mean, and less lovey-dovey than what people think us to be?

Selfish definitely. I'm extremely self absorbed and often think of the world and all the people I know as revolving around me.
Mean? I can be very judgemental and hateful of people sometimes, which goes against all the the accepting, empathetic values my INFP self is supposed to stand for...
2. Do you infact have a pretty dark side, which find a lot of people and things shallow, and unlikeable, and you'd like to stick pins in their eyes? But you wouldn't actually do it, because you are pretty nice realllyyy?

As I discussed a bit above, I'm capable of pursuing an intense and biased dislike of someone. Ultimately though I genuinely do not wish to see them suffer, that's when my empathy kicks in. It's just fun to indulge in dislike at a shallow fantasy level, though.

3. Do you feel frustrated towards people that don't care about things that really matter? Do you get frustrated at those that seems to only care about sports, clothes, and their hair?

Frustrated? Definitely not. It gives me an excuse to feel elite, superior in my level of emotional/intellectual depth to others. And I like feeling that way.

no, lonely isn't the right word. i'm constantly looking to connect "more" and "better" with people, but i consider myself very lucky to have found a few people i really click with, and am flattered (mostly puzzled) that i seem to have a lot of people who want to get to know me and spend time with me.

5. Do you get random ideas in the middle of the night, and you get so exicted thinking about doing it tomorrow, but then tomorrow comes and you're not excited about it anymore, thus don't do it?

not limited to night time! and i'm more likely to neglect/forget to act on things than i am to totally lose interest. i'm not a world-class go-getter, for sure, but i've been working on putting my plans into action.

yes, pretty unique among people that i have met (who are in their own ways unique).

yes, sometimes. this might be presumptuous to say, though.

i don't look down on those with differing or little interest in music, but i'm a bit of a record collector and music is very important to me. i have a pretty strong sense of my personal taste, which crosses many genres. snob? i'd say not. nerd? completely! :smile:

yes, this has happened to me a lot. i'm not totally sure why. in some cases, the conversation might have seemed natural, but in others i'm not aware of giving the person any reason to open up so fast..

not necessarily. all types (people, really) are necessary.

hazzle92

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Yes, Yes, Yes.
I can be a bit harsh and off with people without intending to be, plus I'm not shy about expressing my opinions in front of close friends and family.

2. Do you infact have a pretty dark side, which find a lot of people and things shallow, and unlikeable, and you'd like to stick pins in their eyes? But you wouldn't actually do it, because you are pretty nice realllyyy?

Yep, not many people meet my standards, I find others very shallow..but then I actually don't wish them harm.

Yes, they bore me, I space out and don't listen, I hate small talk.

Yes, I feel alone a lot, I constantly fantasize about being understood

Lol, not in the middle of the night, but yes I come up with random ideas which fade away pretty quickly.

Pretty much, yes.

Yes, I cry watching TV or films, especially when they play moving music.

YES

Yes, I know people's life secrets, I can't work out why they tell me but they do.

YES

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes.

Yes.

No.

No.

Not really.

Yes.

I reckon I feel it differently than they do, but basically yes.

Not really.

No.

Definitely not.

nogracejane

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes...sometimes I feel guilty for hiding it.
I'm also pretty cynical, but I don't think its necessary to display it to others and bring down their mood.

Yes I have a dark side, and sometimes an ugly side (which is what the question describes). I hate it though...

No, I only feel frustrated at people who care so much about gossiping and obsessed with comparing social lives.

I used to feel lonely more often, now it's getting better. Still there though, mild to moderate..

Yep

I would like to (I think everyone would?)

Yes..

No.

Haha yes...

Yeahhh :D

Lsjnzy13

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
IDK
Definitely. Selfish as in I pay so much attention to my wants that I would sometimes disregard what I need to do, thus I have a bit of problem when it comes to long term commitments.

I can get really annoyed when someone makes a metaphor and people just take it seriously. EXAMPLE: A while ago in the news a French father comforts his son by telling him that while ISIS may have guns, France has flowers. About half the people were criticizing the father for 'not telling the son the truth' and that 'flowers are useless'. Of course flowers won't physically save you against a bullet. It wasn't meant to be taken literally!

I feel that as long as they have a limit and don't go over the top, I don't really get frustrated. To be honest I like hanging out with people like that. It really takes my mind off my troubles. Sometimes I can care about irrelevant stuff as well.

About three quarters of the time.

Usually I get the idea in the night, get up nice and early the next morning, start the project, do it enthusiastically for three days, then the enthusiasm drains away and I ditch the project.

Everyone is unique in some way. But sometimes, when it's on things most people share the same view on, I hope to have something creative, unique, and different.

Definitely. Whenever my friends have emotional troubles they always come to me cos they know that I would take the problem seriously as if it was my own.

I'm a huge classical music snob:D

On the internet.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The world would definitely be a lot more peaceful with more INFPs, but I want to be unique! (argh I'm so selfish)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yes,no,no
yep for the most part. but dunno about finding the things shallow as much as pretty much just pointless to worry about. like hair but wouldn't harm anyone over that because it doesn't make sense.
yes

yup.
not in the middle of the night but all hours of the day and then i realize the effort and how far above my skill level it is and i'm like meh nope
honestly not really, well sometimes but thats because my whole life people claim that i am and i sometimes like an idiot believe them, but no if i had to answer in complete honesty no and this wasn't just teachers or people in authority i don't believe most of what teachers and authority people say about me to begin with this also included my peers
no and neither does any one else, sorry but i can't feel your hurt foot and i can imagine what it feels like but no i literally can't feel someone elses pain
nope
no strangers avoid me
NO

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not sure if OP is still around, but this looks like fun. The directive to be honest makes me want to lie. I probably won't, though.

Sometimes? Try always. And the people around me know it, too. I wouldn't say I'm mean...more like critical and at times dismissive.

I have a darker side, but it's not inspired by viewing things and people as shallow and unlikable. That's just how a lot of things are, so it doesn't bother me. In fact, I see myself as shallow and unlikable quite often. Disliking others for it would be hypocritical. (Not that I'm against being a hypocrite. I simply prefer my own hypocrisy be more interesting than that.)

No. I get frustrated if they bring those things up to me or try to get me involved in them, but I don't care that they like those things. Granted, I may make snide comments, but I hardly expect them to like different interests just because I have a strong opinion about their current ones. Sometimes, I inadvertently influence someone, sapping their enthusiasm by denigrating what they like. When I realize I'm doing it, I'll back off and say something trite about how lovely it is that we're all so different and we have unique tastes and perspectives, etc.

I think so. It's that or boredom. Hard to know which.

No. A phrase will pop into my head or an idea for a short story will come to me. I write it down. I go to sleep.

It's been a long time since I've been excited about doing something. (Unless anxiety counts, then I get "excited" about things I'm supposed to do tomorrow, and stay up until 4am trying not to think about it.) Usually, I get excited about ideas and new things I've learned or seen.

Yes. No. I usually have the wrong idea. Like, I'll see myself as a strange pariah who doesn't know how to human, then I'll get information that proves it's not true. Lots of people feel insecure about this or that. Lots of people feel like outsiders. It's nothing special. But there are times when I'm being very ordinary, the most average person ever, and someone comes along to comment on how weird I am. Basically, I overestimate how normal or unusual my thinking is.

NO. I can't tell what other people are feeling, much less feel it. It would be presumptuous to think I could. I can imagine a great many things—and emotions arise from those imaginings—but that's nowhere near the same as experiencing those things or living from that person's perspective. It's just too complex to get a real feel for it.

I used to be. I've mellowed out about it. Still, if someone plays popular country music, I can't help but mock the lyrics. Seriously, put some effort into it, you lazy Nashville bastards.

I'm glad if someone has music they love. It's better than the people who don't like music or the people who say they like all music.

Okay, I guess I'm still a snob.

Yeah. I think some people just like to do that, regardless of their audience.

Not really.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, but sometimes I'm more lovey-dovey than what people expect.

Yes, I have a dark side. No, I don't want to stick pins in people's eyes just because they're shallow.

3. Do you feel frustrated towards people that don't care about things that really matter?
Yes.

Do you get frustrated at those that seems to only care about sports, clothes, and their hair?
No, I like these people. They're charming and I like hanging out with them because it distracts me from my life.

Yes.

Not really. This seems really specific.

I'm undecided.

Literally? No. That's not possible.

No. I like all music.

Yes, this happens all the time, though to be honest I do lightly encourage it. Still, it happens a lot. I don't mind though.

Maybe?

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[RE: music snob question]

I'm glad if someone has music they love. It's better than the people who don't like music or the people who say they like all music.

No. I like all music.

:shocking:

OMG! What's going on? Are we enemies now? I'm not emotionally prepared for that!

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But I do like all music. :cry:

Okay. I can't imagine liking all music, but having differences doesn't automatically make us enemies.

Perhaps we are even friends. :hug:

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The opposite. i think I'm more of a light and lovey-dovey person than people's first impression of me. :mellow:

I can be quite critical but it's not a side that I actively cultivate. :mellow::mellow:
I don't think anyone has ever upset me enough to go to that extreme.

What "really matters"?

Sometimes I do. Other times I feel too crowded. Back and forth. Back and forth.

Uh, this is sort of my day to day life? Not limited to just night time, mind.

Indeed. Very snowflake. Also fragile. Extra snowflake.

lol wut. Does mutual embarrassment count?

Used to. Not anymore.

If they did, i can't remember. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is impossible for me to predict how a greater presence of INFPs will affect the delicate balance of the universe. :mellow:

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay. I can't imagine liking all music, but having differences doesn't automatically make us enemies.

Perhaps we are even friends. :hug:

Stop, you're being too nice. I can't take it. :shock: :thelook:

You didn't have to change your type just to take the survey. INFPs don't like conformity. Now we have to shun you.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You didn't have to change your type just to take the survey. INFPs don't like conformity. Now we have to shun you.

What do you mean?
I am INFP. I have been one all along. :(

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I will confess here. I'm most likely an INTP but I often have doubts and sometimes wonder if INFP is not a better fit. I often get INFP on tests and have had INFP suggested to me multiple times. So I will answer the questions because I like answering questions but take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'm selfish regarding my time. I don't really enjoy having to help others much. I want my time to be my own, to do my own thing. If someone asks me to do something for them, I will oftentimes say 'yes' anyway if I can see that it's important to them and it won't impinge on my freedom too much. Other than that, I'm not particularly selfish. I'm generous with my things, take other peoples' wishes into account.

I'm never mean to others intentionally. I suppose I could be mean back if someone acted mean towards me or if I saw that someone was doing something really cruel or morally unacceptable.

I'm not lovey-dovey, I'm pretty reserved when it comes to showing affection. I can be fairly expressive when comfortable but it's not really lovey-dovey or touchy-feely if that makes sense.

I sometimes think dark, depressing thoughts but I'm not really dark in terms of wishing to be evil or having a 'death wish.' Overall, I'm a very nice person and most people would agree to that.

YES!

I rarely feel lonely. I can entertain myself alone quite well and feel less need for social interaction than most people. I still have times when I enjoy social interaction though.

Occasionally it happens. More likely, I get the random idea, I'm all ready to it when tomorrow comes but because of circumstances, I am unable to do it just then or an even better idea comes along. I don't lose interest in the original idea, just that something even better took its place.

Well everyone is unique in terms of their genetic makeup. No one else has exactly the same combination of genes that you have. No one has the exact same life experience. So in that sense I'm unique but at the same time I'm very ordinary because I am a human being and I have qualities that are simply part of being human. Such as wanting pleasure and avoiding pain, wanting love and acceptance by others, want my life to be meaningful, etc.

Most of the time no. I can certainly empathize with them but I don't necessarily feel it emotionally myself. There are occasions though where I do. One time one of my Facebook friends mentioned that she was the only one among her coworkers that was not invited to the holiday party. I almost cried myself after reading this because it really hit home for me. It reminded me back in my middle school days when students were really cliquey and feeling like you don't fit in and being rejected by your peers.

I try very hard not to be. If there's one thing that really makes me angry it's people who are very snobby about music, acting like their music is superior and certain types of music are inferior. Music is a very emotionally moving and personal thing to me. If people insult my music, it feels like they are insulting me as a person almost. So oftentimes, I'm reluctant to share music with others because I never quite know how they will respond to it. Some people like to make inferences about your character based on the music you listen to. I hate that. Sometimes I like songs that mention sex or 'the devil' or drugs or prostitution. It doesn't mean at all that I'm for these things. Oftentimes I just like the catchy beat or the sound of someone's voice and I'm not really paying attention to the lyrics at all. There are some songs I do enjoy for the lyrics but I primarily listen to music for the way it sounds. I have types of music that I prefer over other types but even if something wasn't too my liking, I would never tell anyone that it's crap and never should have been made. That just sounds rude to me.

Not my entire life story but if I'm comfortable enough with them and feel I can trust them, I can 'spill out my gut' and share rather personal things about myself. I have had people tell me their whole life story on occasion. I guess they think I'm a good listener.

Sometimes I think the world would be a better place if there were more people similar to myself but then I realize that it takes all types of people, so probably not. All types are equally valuable in my mind.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Most of the time, yeah - then again, I'm my own worst critic. :alttongue:

Hmm, that side is usually reserved for very few people (like Hitler, or Donald Trump)... but occasionally I'll come across someone who just pisses me off for no reason, and simply avoid interacting with that person as much as politeness allows.

Well, it would be hypocritical of me if I were to admit something like that, as I sometimes indulge in such talk myself - but most of the time, I do contemplate on things like environmental issues and human rights. I'm not exactly frustrated with people who seem to care about frivolous matters, but sometimes I feel it would be nice to enjoy a more meaningful conversation.

A huge YES on this one... :puppy_dog_eyes: *sigh*

Just during the night? How about 24/7? :hippie: :orate:

Well, in the sense that I drive everyone nuts, yeah. :laugh:

Definitely - sometimes to the point where I have to cry it all out, because I'm still too hypersensitive to pain (which I consider to be one of the biggest flaws in my character).

Well, I wouldn't call myself a music snob... I prefer the term "music lover" more :D :headphne:

Sure :D used to happen quite a few times whenever I'd be commuting by train to and from Chicago. I love hearing stories from other people!

Heck yeah! :rock:

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Only INFP's have to be honest right?

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
YES!!!
Yes, very much so!
Frustration might not be the word. Disinterested in those people as a result of their interests, is more appropriate.
no, I'm often alone but don't feel lonely.
maybe?
Yes, but unique is not necessarily a good thing.
YES. Especially when their pain is vented at me. Sucks. I am extra-sensitive.
No.
Thank god, no. One of my INFJ friends suffers from this.
No. The world needs more T types to solve the bigger problems we have.