User Tag List

First 1234 Last

violaine

My face betrays me despite my best efforts. But you have to be observant or focused on me to see it. I can go undetected most of the time because most of the time people aren't paying that level of attention.

If I'm really caught off guard my face will show everything for a moment before I regain composure.

It's unnerving whenever someone sees through. Most often it's happened that someone has remarked that my eyes look sad (even though I'm usually cracking wise at the time). And they are always right. Stops me in my tracks.

Actually, I feel things through my body even when I'm trying to keep a lid on my reactions to the point of concealing them from myself. Whenever I have one of those sensations I take note and realize that I have to take seriously whatever it is that I'm reacting to.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Yes, I agree with this. I'm a complete stoneface, never heard the phrase said to my face (or behind my back). I believe people might think quite the opposite, my heart is mostly locked away. If they could see inside, then that's a whole another matter, but I'm definitely not transparent.
    Yeah, I think this is how I am too.

Quote Originally Posted by violaine
    My face betrays me despite my best efforts. But you have to be observant or focused on me to see it. I can go undetected most of the time because most of the time people aren't paying that level of attention.

If I'm really caught off guard my face will show everything for a moment before I regain composure.
    Those who know me well will be able to pick up the nuances of my facial expressions and will know when I'm flustered or don't like something, etc, but I don't think most people would pick up on the stuff because it isn't obvious, OR..what I say below.

BUT, tied to this, I think I'm more expressive and don't mind those close to me seeing my feelings, so I'm not as careful to cover them up, whereas with most people, I tend not to want to bring my emotional reactions into any of it, hence I'm NOT terribly expressive...most definitely in terms of my more negative feelings/reactions. But I don't have as many qualms when I'm really happy or whatever, and letting that spill out.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm hard to read. Going around showing everything I was feeling would be like going around in public nekkid.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    epic

No. The last time I checked it was functioning quite well within my rib cage.

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post

I guess some people are just more perceptive and pay more attention to it than others (e.g. care about you and want to know), I don't think some would even notice any changes in unless they paid really close attention etc.
    I definitely agree. I guess what is hard are the people who point it out like there is something wrong with you.

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    To me it sounds like your friends care a lot about you and are worried, and would like to know what's bothering you - if there indeed is something bothering you. ENFPs are very good at reading people especially apparently, and in that sense be extremely perceptive to your facial expressions as well. And if they're close to you they can feel bad about reading it from you but you not showing them the trust (or however they might perceive it) to open up about it? It's like they know already but are waiting for you to trust them enough to talk about it. I don't know if that might be the case at all, but I've had that experience.
    I think it's a combination of factors. I do have the friends like you described. I have also heard it from other people and people I do not know as well. But this could be their personality type to be observant like you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    As frustrating as it can be, I think it's healthier for our type to wear our hearts on our sleeves. When I was younger, I was very much readable. People would ask me questions too. Sometimes teachers would abruptly ask me "Are you happy?"

But over time, years of feeling vulnerable about my emotions have made me calloused to the point where I'm no longer outwardly expressive. All my feelings are held within. No one asks me those invasive questions anymore... and life's become a lot lonelier because of it.
    I can definitely identify with your statements. I'm at the point of wondering how outwardly expressive I am and if I should tone it down?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    and life's become a lot lonelier because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Bart View Post
    I never noticed it till my husband pointed it out to me, but I do show my emotions very strongly -- but the odd thing is that I feel so strongly anyway that I tend to put it all into perspective even if other people don't -- so if I'm looking really disturbed about something and this upsets somebody else, it may really bother them, but I may walk away from it thinking "oh well, that's just how it goes sometimes." Sometimes other people want to pursue the matter, and I end up thinking how idiotic they're being, blowing something way out of proportion, but it really is partly my fault -- I'm trying to learn to control my facial expressions more carefully now.
    I'm with you. I never noticed it or thought I was different until it has been repeatedly pointed out in my adult life.

I agree with you. A lot of times I'm thinking about something totally minor and it seems absolutely ridiculous to voice it and its for me to process and figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by velocity View Post
    No. The last time I checked it was functioning quite well within my rib cage.
    I'm really happy to know that! No heart surgery needed for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Yeah, I think this is how I am too.

Those who know me well will be able to pick up the nuances of my facial expressions and will know when I'm flustered or don't like something, etc, but I don't think most people would pick up on the stuff because it isn't obvious, OR..what I say below.

BUT, tied to this, I think I'm more expressive and don't mind those close to me seeing my feelings, so I'm not as careful to cover them up, whereas with most people, I tend not to want to bring my emotional reactions into any of it, hence I'm NOT terribly expressive...most definitely in terms of my more negative feelings/reactions. But I don't have as many qualms when I'm really happy or whatever, and letting that spill out.
    It's good to hear from you and Sky blue regarding the matter that you haven't heard this phrase and react differently.

I wonder if reactions also have to do with nature vs. nurture and how individual people process things?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yes, I think I'm about as transparent as a pane of glass.
    There are a few heavy T people that seem oblivious, but apart from that, My expressions and mood, although pretty subdued, will mostly give me away.
    Its more in my actions and words though, that I show my heart, rather than facial expression... apparently.I'm just too open and truthful for my own damned good.
    This is what Ive been told,anyway.
    G. x
    My INFJ license is regulary revoked,.. I am a sometime refugee in the INTJ holding centre.