• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] What is the point of feeling things so intensely?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
It's hard to tell the difference between happiness and sadness when you are completely desensitized as a person.

Feelings serve the same purpose as taste or smell or sound or visuals etc How can you see the value in cuisine if everything tastes the same?

Extreme highs and lows suck...but when there's a good balance, they can represent the spice of life.

Ask yourself : what would be the "point" in not feeling things at all? Can you imagine the state of constant boredom it might be? No rushes of any kind?

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
there is no point. thats why its an F thing

Reminds me of an ENTP I know. He says something along that line from time to time. He doesn't say exactly that there isn't any point to feeling, more like, because he looks at things rather objectively and wholistically, either a strong emotion isn't triggered in the first place or if an emotion is triggered, he doesn't intensify it. Like riding a wave as it goes up and down but not being overwhelmed by each individual wave because you see the whole ocean. And because he appreciates the big picture of the ocean, each individual wave isn't that serious, hence not intense.

He is one of the least emotionally confused people I've ever met. Although also a T, I am much more vulnerable to my emotions than he is and so when the emotion is painful, I suffer a lot more from it and am more confused by it. I like to get his advice because I know he is likely to see things as they are.

When I compare to an INFJ I know well, it's like she experiences the individual waves more dramatically because she's concentrating on the wave rather than the ocean. On the other hand, this gives her more empathy and patience with people if they are suffering or confused. Her advice is also good because it comes from understanding.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
In our culture, physiological illness is considered legitimate while emotional distress is not. How can the physician successfully treat a physiological disturbance when its origin is the mind, when it serves as a necessary cloaking device for unwanted feelings?

If we don’t fully engage our experiences and all the feelings they generate, we don’t learn from them and are destined to repeat them or act them out. A child whose age-appropriate anger is unwelcome and unprocessed will become a raging adult, terrorized by his own unmanageable feelings. A beautiful sunset also represents the passing of another day. You cannot enjoy one without sensing the other. Complex feelings punctuate meaningful life experiences.

Do not eclipse the breadth and depth of your feelings by distracting yourself too quickly. The ability to embrace and appreciate the impress of all feelings with equal vitality denotes the full expression of psychological maturity.

a lot of truth here.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Why do NFs need to feel upset so easily? What is the purpose of this, what's its usefulness?

The only logical answer I find is compassion and empathy. When an event has wounded us, we remember the feelings so vividly that whenever we see someone else suffering, we want to help and listen. Does this makes sense to you?

We invent our own purpose and usefulness. We don't need to do anything. Eh. I don't care to sympathize with others over most things; it does drain me and it is not beneficial to me, or them really to be tied up in other people's emotional messes. I keep things in perspective and after being upset one too many times, I have learned to cope with it in my own way. The answer is to develop your Te so that your 'episodes' as I like to call it passes quicker and is less overwhelming. I learn about humanity in a slightly different way because I am NF and what I do with this information is what I perceive to be my purpose and usefulness. I keep saying to myself that it doesn't matter what I feel but what I do with this feeling ultimately. Just 'feeling' doesn't change anything, got to go a step further. :cheese:

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I have been deeply hurt by someone recently and been bathing myself in swamps of anger, resentment, self-pity and despair from time to time.

It's useful when it's reasonably proportional to the catalyst. Intense emotions can animate us, drive us to action, and inspire us to make great art.

If the emotion is way out of proportion to the situation, it's usually counterproductive. Crying over spilled milk is a waste of time and energy.

So, if you temper passion with perspective (seeing what's worth getting hyped about vs. what's trivial), the intense emotions are a good thing to have.