User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Atheist INFPs

MBTI
    INFP

Default Atheist INFPs

I often see descriptions of INFPs as very spiritual and in tune with their faith. I don't consider myself religious or spiritual.. maybe I'm just not understanding what "spiritual" really means.

So where are the atheist INFPs out there?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

If it's any conciliation, I haven't got the faintest clue what being spiritual actually involves either. I'm think its another word for being an air head.

MBTI
    INTP

The INFP I know is also atheist. He once told me he wishes he could believe in a higher power but simply doesn't/can't.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

First of all, I admit to doing some eye-rolling when people toss around the word spiritual a lot, like when someone says "I'm a very spiritual person." :rolli:

However, I think the wikipedia page on spirituality is pretty good. It gives some overview of what people can mean by the term, and points out that spirituality doesn't necessarily mean believing in God (although most religions place some emphasis on spirituality).

I don't think INFPs are necessarily into spirituality, but we do tend to have characteristics that overlap with those of spirituality.

• We tend to be introspective.
    • We tend to honor the general intent, and not get too hung up on details.
    • We like to build a coherent (if difficult to express) value system, and to make our lives congruent with it.

Combined with an interest in the internal, one can see how that might lead INFPs towards the more "spiritual" end of whatever religion they happen to believe (if any). That doesn't mean all INFPs see themselves as spiritual, or that we necessarily spend our time in circles chanting over crystals or cavorting with woodland creatures (not to discount the experience of people who do).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My INFP is an atheist too

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I relate to some of the characteristics that overlap with spirituality, as Seymour posted, but I am an atheist.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

There was a self-labeled INFP here for a long time (FineLine) who also identifies as an atheist.

The INFP guy I am with now identifies as a blend of Wicca and atheism, although he's not really militant or thinks much about it or goes out of his way to debate it. He just thinks it's the most reasonable thing to believe. (He's totally fine with me identifying as Christian agnostic and we interact on pretty similar levels and have the same sort of relational value structure in terms of how we try to treat others.)

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I don't think INFPs aren't necessarily into spirituality, but we do tend to have characteristics that overlap with those of spirituality.

• We tend to be introspective.
    • We tend to honor the general intent, and not get too hung up on details.
    • We like to build a coherent (if difficult to express) value system, and to make our lives congruent with it.

Combined with an interest in the internal, one can see how that might lead INFPs towards the more "spiritual" end of whatever religion they happen to believe (if any).
    Good post.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

One of my best friends is an agnostic atheist INFP. I don't think it's that rare, honestly. NPs are typically open to any and all possibilities, especially regarding such abstract notions like religion/faith.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm spiritual but I'm atheist. It's not as contrived as it may sound. I don't believe in a God but I strive toward spiritual wellness, which can be defined as follows:

Spiritual Wellness is a personal matter involving values and beliefs that provide a purpose in our lives. While different individuals may have different views of what spiritualism is, it is generally considered to be the search for meaning and purpose in human existence, leading one to strive for a state of harmony with oneself and others while working to balance inner needs with the rest of the world.

The National Wellness Institute says spiritual wellness follows the following tenets:
    -It is better to ponder the meaning of life for ourselves and to be tolerant of the beliefs of others than to close our minds and become intolerant.
    -It is better to live each day in a way that is consistent with our values and beliefs than to do otherwise and feel untrue to ourselves.

Wellness: Spiritual Wellness

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Present. I'll contribute a little about my atheism.

Being an atheist has been difficult. You can't force yourself to believe in God/gods, the afterlife or in the inherent meaning of it all. But I have had to deal with death, think about my own mortality and that of loved ones. I have had to look at suffering and acknowledge its meaninglessness. This has been very hard on me personally.

I think the idea of a comforting, personal deity or of human growth toward a divine goal can only come from an already held belief or a will to consistently 'see' such things. I have neither. Reality as I experience it doesn't hold their existence to be likely at all. Though I could subjectively frame my experiences to find meaning in them, I would be constantly aware of the bias I was applying and any emotional benefit I might otherwise experience would be negated. Even if I did have some sort of revelatory experience, I'm fairly certain I would dismiss it as a product of my psychological state. I would be suspicious of any newfound sense of certainty that would follow and would likely chalk it up to wishful thinking and self-delusion.

In the end, it's not just that I don't want to validate a comforting falsehood - I don't think I can.

Edited to say: I think disregard, Jennifer and Seymour contributed great perspectives on INFP "spiritual" atheism/agnosticism in some of its potential forms. But, needless to say, there are many ways to be INFP and atheist - and many degrees of fulfillment that go along with them. There's nothing weird about you.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

cataplum!