First 1234 Last

Thread: Atheist INFPs

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

I'm a (borderline) INFP and I detest religion for all its contradictions and masked cruelty.
    That said, I have nothing against religious people as I know and love plenty of them as individuals.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    INFP

Deliciously Atheist and morally ambigious to the conservatives point of view!

MBTI
    CAT

Well, here in the Czech Republic, being an atheist is virtually a default mode for most people, so there probably will be a lot of atheist INFPs. My dad is an INFP and an atheist, but I think he actually became an atheist after much thought. My INFP brother is also an atheist as far as I'm aware.

However, most of my INFP friends seem to be agnostics. They have some sort of a personal belief, but it isn't really an established religious belief. As for me, I consider myself an agnostic, but I actually do have a personal belief that has a lot of common points with Hinduist philosophy.
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

MBTI
    INFP

I also couldn't understand why many of the descriptions of INFPs included spirituality.

I'm INFP and I'm an atheist in regards to belief, and agnostic in regards to knowledge. I have never been exceptionally religious or spiritual. And I can't understand many INFPs self-identifying with dogmatic or organised religions, as it seems like a contradictory position (in my opinion).

One of the main reasons I have rejected some of the more pervasive religions (such as Christianity) are mostly due to my interpretations of their religious texts. In particular, the Bible and the bigotry, violence and hypocrisy that it contains. And I lack belief in gods/deities mainly due to the lack of any evidence in favour of their existence (even though I don't deny the possibility of a god/deity existing).

MBTI
    INFP

I am non-religious. God, gods, supernatural powers, Hale-Bopp comets, crystals, and tin foil hats all make extraordinary claims. Extraordinary claims must be supported by extraordinary proofs. These claims have not even produced ordinary proofs and I suspect they will not in my life time. Well, at least Hale-Bopp showed up.

If you would like a thorough discussion of the absurdity of the Christian religion go to:

Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY

I grew up in church. Been there, done that, eventually realized that something was 'off' and that I didn't like it. I started to see it for what it really was and the people for who they really were. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I couldn't take the bullshit any longer. A lot of it didn't make sense, and some of it was just (no pun intended) god awful. Too many lies, too much deception, and too many good people getting hurt.
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

For me spiritual means that I look within for my answers about anything beyond my self. To me religion signifies that there is a group wanting to share their ideas about what they consider a god together and also that they are open to be directed by people that they believe are more knowing then they are. I can weight in about one of my closed friend who tests as an INFP. She calls herself an atheist.

MBTI
    INFP

Agnostic atheist here.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I was raised by catholic parents in a religious environment, but I have always been agnostic. Ne paired with Te makes it really hard for me to pin myself down to a religious concept. I can't move past the fact that there are so many different religions that who is to say one is correct and there is no logical evidence to prove or disprove of any of them. I'm content with never knowing the answer, so I see no use pondering it either.

Spirituality, belief in a higher power or ultimate meaning is more often linked to Ni.
    "No human being is ever beyond redemption. The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists. How to support that possibility in others & in ourselves is the ultimate question.”

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I’m agnostic. I’m spiritual in the sense I believe the universe is interconnected in the sense that if the Big Bang theory is correct the origin of early matter was a very compressed source. As things expanded elements became more complex, they evolved. We are star dust. I believe earth was seeded by comets and asteroids. Most of the Milky Way’s source material is from beyond this galaxy. Everything is connected on some level. We truly know so little about our universe, the truly incredible things that await discovery. Seeing as I’m dealing with a very incomplete picture of how all of these things work and relate to one another I have to look at it through a lens of spirituality. Call me a hippie or moron for thinking these things if you want.

At the same time that I identify as an agnostic, who I am to say I am right and an atheist is wrong? Take away my belief in a higher power of some sort and an atheist and I are operating with the same tools. Scientific knowledge.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation. Jim Hopper
    Likes Luminous liked this post