• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Dear INFPs, your Fi...

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I generally only express my emotions to my private blog or my MS Office journal. I would instantly overwhelm most people if I began to communicate the turbulence I feel inside on even an hourly basis. I believe writing is probably the best way to express Fi because not only does it force you to diagnose in concise terms what you are experiencing and therefore lead to acceptance and resolve, but it also activates parts of the brain that suppress emotional reactivity resulting in greater logical analysis.

I think communicating with someone who possesses mature and strong Fe would be the next best option.

I find writing to be the most clarifying process for me personally, not being otherwise particularly artistically expressive. My xNFP (maybe iNFP) mother is much more verbally expressive and tends to talk things out more than I do.

Over the years I've done a fair amount of writing in journals and epistolary correspondences. I still find myself turning to writing when I'm dissatisfied or upset and don't know why. I think translating the results of Fi into something verbal can be frustrating and inexact. I find I often turn to inexact metaphors and analogies to try to get the core of some truth communicated. Always sometimes is lost in translation.

NinjaSwan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Music for me. Really the only way I know how. Writing too, but I found music can express my feelings like nothing else can even come close too.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Either I'm doing it through art, action, or explosion; hence why I'm often considered cold.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'll try and see if I can come up with anything coherent.

Through actions only?

An INFP may do this, but:-

Actions are usually far to indirect to express feelings. One could be helping someone because they like helping people, because they wished they liked helping people, to fit and and be thought well of, etcetera.

Through an action alone there is no clear way of deciphering the feelings behind it. Whether your own or another's.

Same goes for Fi. Fi could be seen as a series of values, or the things behind those values. The reasons for helping are just as varied in this case. They may value helping directly, they may value the productivity of society they think is brought about through helping, they may simply value you their own fuzzy warm feeling when they do help etcetera.

So I doubt INFP's would find much satisfaction in expressing through those means, because of how futile it is. The satisfaction from doing this instead will come straight from Fi and feelings that go along with it. The fact that they are moving closer to their own image of perfection or something along those lines.

Through emotional gestures (hugs)?

See above.

Through writing them down or other creative proccesses?

Well, one way of expressing it all can be to make another person feel it all (even that probably wouldn't express it perfectly, or at least probably wouldn't satisfy the desire INFPs seek to fill through such expression). Due to the quite strong ineffability of both Fi and feelings, that is a very difficult task.

It could bring satisfaction and I could certainly see INFPs attempting to do it. However, I think INFPs like to do those processes based around Fi, not because others will understand them through seeing the results (unlikely), but because it helps them understand it themselves. Clarifying the goal and starting point of life, so to speak. It also can bring about an idea that something non-human would understand (e.g. god), that they have left a path to understanding their Fi if anyone is ever capable of doing so, or simply direct glee from expressing it through their own internal code (my experience).

Or do you prefer not to express them at all? :huh:

This is a successful route, I find.

Simply describing, through straightforward words, the inner workings works well too. Though faces similar troubles to the other methods. Alas it can be important to a lot of INFPs to express Fi somehow, and each will likely find a unique and equally flawed way of doing so.

It's important to remember in all of this, how difficult it is for an INFP to understand their own Fi. Similar, I imagine, to an INTP trying to understand their own Ti. It makes it even messier when you look at Fi through the lens of Fi, as it will assume certain things to be universally true and not realise that it is actually only true for Fi.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm....I put a bit of thought into this lately. A great deal of my feeling gets fed into my extremely bad poetry, writing, and my art work. Most people, unless I specifically tell them, don't know I'm currently going through an extremely bad patch, right now, because outwardly I'm so upbeat and positive. What does happen is when some one accidently trips a wire, that not even I'm aware of, until they blunder over it, and the emotional land mine blows. I don't even know what my reaction will be, it could hysterical laughter, a torrent of tears, red hot anger etc. It certainly makes me slightly unpredictable. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite sane (or least I came across as rational and coherent), but some times, I react, but I have no control of what is expressed. I had a friend who used to tell me, I was one of the most suppressed and controlled people she had ever known. She knew some thing was going on underneath, but only when I was incredibly angry or upset, did I ever show it.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I express my Fi, externally, by the way I live my life.

I'm not sure I can express my emotions very well. Whenever I attempt to do it verbally, it falls short. As far as showing people I care about them...I try to rely mostly on actions here, but I've also learned the value of flat-out telling people how you feel about them. Although, I feel like no matter what I do or say, I can't really get it across the way I want to.

I can express myself through dance...but it's only "true" when I'm by myself. As soon as I'm out performing in front of people, a part of myself gets lost because of insecurities and whatnot.

I rarely seriously project my Fi, it's something that I've found speaks better when spoken to, since no one else particularly cares about your feelings or opinions unless they've got something in common with you or they are your mother (it's like telling people your dreams).
This too.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You are an INFP erm? :shock:

Thanks everyone for your replies! I think the subject has been much illuminated.

After reading these, I fear I am more INFP than I thought. :violin:

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5

*gasp* I would hope not! There is nothing worse than being "diagnosed" as having INFP.

I read that the INFP virus was first transmitted to human beings from a guy having sex with a fairy in Scotland. :thelook:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
You are an INFP erm? :shock:

Thanks everyone for your replies! I think the subject has been much illuminated.

Why? I think not showing much emotion and not knowing how to express what you feel are INTP traits as well. Or was it something more specific that made you consider INFP?

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
First, Fi isn't about emotions. How I express my emotions is very different than how I express Fi. Yeah, Fi is often strongly rooted to my emotions, but not always.

Fi consists of the values, principles, and meanings I hold dear. It's awkward for me to communicate them through words, because I rarely view them as words in my mind.

:yes:

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why? I think not showing much emotion and not knowing how to express what you feel are INTP traits as well. Or was it something more specific that made you consider INFP?

I receive a very weak "T" in tests. And I have read and related to several INFP profiles as much as I do the INTP profiles I have read.

I took a function test and received Ti > Fi > Ni > Ne (I am a super introvert)

The fact some people find me "cold" and once even "unsympathetic" counted agaisnt my INFP prognosis. But now I find several INFPs are the same! Lawdy I am so confused! :shock:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The fact some people find me "cold" and once even "unsympathetic" counted agaisnt my INFP prognosis. But now I find several INFPs are the same! Lawdy I am so confused! :shock:

You have a cat avatar. INFP with you!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I receive a very weak "T" in tests. And I have read and related to several INFP profiles as much as I do the INTP profiles I have read.

I took a function test and received Ti > Fi > Ni > Ne (I am a super introvert)

Ah, I see. So the cold thing was one of a few factors making you lean T, but now that its non-T-determinant-ness has been cleared up for you, you have even fewer good reasons to think INTP instead of INFP. Got it.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nancy~

I love your avatar. Torties are such feisty girls.

Agreed. I wasn't going to reply to you but I think this thread is d'railed anyway.

You have a cat avatar. INFP with you!

It is actually my cat, if I sought out some random cat as my avatar that would be even more INFP of me I think.

^ hee I was waiting for someone to say that!

As was I.

Ah, I see. So the cold thing was one of a few factors making you lean T, but now that its non-T-determinant-ness has been cleared up for you, you have even fewer good reasons to think INTP instead of INFP. Got it.

Exactamundo.