User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Thessaly View Post
    I generally only express my emotions to my private blog or my MS Office journal. I would instantly overwhelm most people if I began to communicate the turbulence I feel inside on even an hourly basis. I believe writing is probably the best way to express Fi because not only does it force you to diagnose in concise terms what you are experiencing and therefore lead to acceptance and resolve, but it also activates parts of the brain that suppress emotional reactivity resulting in greater logical analysis.

I think communicating with someone who possesses mature and strong Fe would be the next best option.
    I find writing to be the most clarifying process for me personally, not being otherwise particularly artistically expressive. My xNFP (maybe iNFP) mother is much more verbally expressive and tends to talk things out more than I do.

Over the years I've done a fair amount of writing in journals and epistolary correspondences. I still find myself turning to writing when I'm dissatisfied or upset and don't know why. I think translating the results of Fi into something verbal can be frustrating and inexact. I find I often turn to inexact metaphors and analogies to try to get the core of some truth communicated. Always sometimes is lost in translation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Music for me. Really the only way I know how. Writing too, but I found music can express my feelings like nothing else can even come close too.
    I'm about as much use as a one legged man at an ass kicking competition.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Either I'm doing it through art, action, or explosion; hence why I'm often considered cold.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'll try and see if I can come up with anything coherent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Through actions only?
    An INFP may do this, but:-

Actions are usually far to indirect to express feelings. One could be helping someone because they like helping people, because they wished they liked helping people, to fit and and be thought well of, etcetera.

Through an action alone there is no clear way of deciphering the feelings behind it. Whether your own or another's.

Same goes for Fi. Fi could be seen as a series of values, or the things behind those values. The reasons for helping are just as varied in this case. They may value helping directly, they may value the productivity of society they think is brought about through helping, they may simply value you their own fuzzy warm feeling when they do help etcetera.

So I doubt INFP's would find much satisfaction in expressing through those means, because of how futile it is. The satisfaction from doing this instead will come straight from Fi and feelings that go along with it. The fact that they are moving closer to their own image of perfection or something along those lines.

Through emotional gestures (hugs)?
    See above.

Through writing them down or other creative proccesses?
    Well, one way of expressing it all can be to make another person feel it all (even that probably wouldn't express it perfectly, or at least probably wouldn't satisfy the desire INFPs seek to fill through such expression). Due to the quite strong ineffability of both Fi and feelings, that is a very difficult task.

It could bring satisfaction and I could certainly see INFPs attempting to do it. However, I think INFPs like to do those processes based around Fi, not because others will understand them through seeing the results (unlikely), but because it helps them understand it themselves. Clarifying the goal and starting point of life, so to speak. It also can bring about an idea that something non-human would understand (e.g. god), that they have left a path to understanding their Fi if anyone is ever capable of doing so, or simply direct glee from expressing it through their own internal code (my experience).

Or do you prefer not to express them at all?
    This is a successful route, I find.

Simply describing, through straightforward words, the inner workings works well too. Though faces similar troubles to the other methods. Alas it can be important to a lot of INFPs to express Fi somehow, and each will likely find a unique and equally flawed way of doing so.

It's important to remember in all of this, how difficult it is for an INFP to understand their own Fi. Similar, I imagine, to an INTP trying to understand their own Ti. It makes it even messier when you look at Fi through the lens of Fi, as it will assume certain things to be universally true and not realise that it is actually only true for Fi.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Hmmm....I put a bit of thought into this lately. A great deal of my feeling gets fed into my extremely bad poetry, writing, and my art work. Most people, unless I specifically tell them, don't know I'm currently going through an extremely bad patch, right now, because outwardly I'm so upbeat and positive. What does happen is when some one accidently trips a wire, that not even I'm aware of, until they blunder over it, and the emotional land mine blows. I don't even know what my reaction will be, it could hysterical laughter, a torrent of tears, red hot anger etc. It certainly makes me slightly unpredictable. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite sane (or least I came across as rational and coherent), but some times, I react, but I have no control of what is expressed. I had a friend who used to tell me, I was one of the most suppressed and controlled people she had ever known. She knew some thing was going on underneath, but only when I was incredibly angry or upset, did I ever show it.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I express my Fi, externally, by the way I live my life.

I'm not sure I can express my emotions very well. Whenever I attempt to do it verbally, it falls short. As far as showing people I care about them...I try to rely mostly on actions here, but I've also learned the value of flat-out telling people how you feel about them. Although, I feel like no matter what I do or say, I can't really get it across the way I want to.

I can express myself through dance...but it's only "true" when I'm by myself. As soon as I'm out performing in front of people, a part of myself gets lost because of insecurities and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    I rarely seriously project my Fi, it's something that I've found speaks better when spoken to, since no one else particularly cares about your feelings or opinions unless they've got something in common with you or they are your mother (it's like telling people your dreams).
    This too.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Bla Bla.
    You are an INFP erm?

Thanks everyone for your replies! I think the subject has been much illuminated.

After reading these, I fear I am more INFP than I thought.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

Enneagram
    4w5

*gasp* I would hope not! There is nothing worse than being "diagnosed" as having INFP.

I read that the INFP virus was first transmitted to human beings from a guy having sex with a fairy in Scotland.
    The purple sun won't heal my purple bruises :ouch:

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

You are an INFP erm?

Thanks everyone for your replies! I think the subject has been much illuminated.

Why? I think not showing much emotion and not knowing how to express what you feel are INTP traits as well. Or was it something more specific that made you consider INFP?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

You are an INFP erm?
    Don't go there...