User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: INFJs,

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default INFJs,

Is optimism foolish? I think I found one who said so. It was quite discouraging.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Optimism isn't foolish. Being blind to or ignoring possible consequences is.

Sniffles

There's a difference between optimism and hope.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Knowingly clinging to false hope is foolish, however, I believe being an optimist often leads to more positive outcomes, it inspires more courageous acts and others appreciate you more. It even feels better for yourself to anticipate your feelings on positive rather than negative outcomes.

MBTI
    entp

hope not...a philosophy test told me i was an optimist

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

optimism is not foolish, but i'm pessimistic by nature

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Optimism connotes a bit of hysteria to me, so I'd rather say confidence. It's good to be confident about the outcome, whether it's "good" or "bad." I put those words in quotes because they really only mean whether something has gone the way I thought it should have -- but in the end, sometimes I see that they went the way it was best, whether I saw that at the time or not. With this point of view, you win even if you fail. I'm not sure that's the same as optimism, but it works for me, since something in me turns stone deaf when I hear "everything's going to be fine." There have been many times when everything was not fine at all -- but I got through it.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Optimism isn't foolish. Being blind to or ignoring possible consequences is.
    Agreed.

I think a lot of it boils down to choice, to be honest. Choosing whether to view life more optimistically, and focus your efforts/thoughts/energies more on the positives, or choosing to view life more negatively or cynically, focusing your thoughts moreso on the negatives.

I'm aware of the negatives, and don't think I am blind to them, but after spending many years being more pessimistic, I decided it wasn't worth it and I started to choose to pay more attention to the positives, and tried to bring about a more overall positive outlook on life.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I think a lot of it boils down to choice, to be honest. Choosing whether to view life more optimistically, and focus your efforts/thoughts/energies more on the positives, or choosing to view life more negatively or cynically, focusing your thoughts moreso on the negatives.
    I agree. I see optimism as a positive force that will help you progress with things and negativity / cynicism that drags you down and holds you back. It's good to be aware of both but, ultimately, it's still up to you which way you will turn and which way will bring you more satisfaction with yourself, others and life in general.

I too, am a more positive, but not naive INFJ. Like the others have said, I try to think about all of the aspects of a situation that I can think of. I try to see the good and bad. I also make an effort to focus on the positive, because I think every little bit helps.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau