User Tag List

123 Last

Default INFJ and sleep problems

I am an INFJ. Most of the times i cannot sleep because i am too sensitive to every little noise (that other people don't even notice) so, in order to sleep, i need complete silence...often i cannot turn my mind off (i am an over-thinker and tend to worry too much).
    Do you guys have similar problems? How do you cope with that?

P.S: sometimes i cannot stand people talking any more, i hear their voice hammering in my head and I just need silence and dark, so i have to go into my bedroom and shut out light and noise.

MBTI
    INFJ

I believe this is more of an Fe thing.

"Kathy Myers sparked this one. We were talking about Stonehenge (where I got married), and she related how she was disappointed when she visited Stonehenge because it was so crowded. But she says she shrugged and simply "tuned-out" all the other people so that, in her mind, she had Stonehenge all to herself and enjoyed it that way...

Kathy's preferences are for INFP, and what came up for me is that I don't think INFJs can "tune out" other people in that way. I think it's nearly impossible for INFJs to "disconnect" from the humanity around them. They overhear arguments and crying babies and flirting and all manner of interactions within the slightest earshot. Public transportation and restaurants can be raw experiences, depending on what kind of interactions they "tune" into. (Unless they're trying to solve a problem, of course, at which point INFJs can shut out everything like closing a door!)

The reason I offer this as a possible way of sorting between INFP and INFJ is that an INFJ's Fe (extraverted Feeling) is naturally attuned to social situations. It's where our radar operates, in conjunction with our extraverted Sensing that naturally soaks up external stimulation. On the other hand, INFP's Fi (introverted Feeling) is tuned into their inner values. They possess the ability to "disconnect" from what's going on around them and shut everything out in order to commune with themselves without interruption.
    "

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

I don't have insomnia or any major sleep issues, and I don't think that is a type-specific issue, but I do usually have to focus specifically on turning my mind off while trying to fall asleep. My brain seems to want to keep going while the rest of me is shut down.

I think it could be Ni too. Sometimes i wish i had an off-button to stop my thoughts or just to get instanct silence. I think i'm never thinking about "nothing". Maybe the only moment i think "less" is when i stare off into space (which happens quite often, when i am under stress).
    I can think of many things, while i'm driving/walking and singing in my head at the same time! Often i cannot pull a song out of my mind for the whole day and i still have it in mind when i go to sleep.
    This is kind of weird..
    Does this happens to you too?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

White noise?

I run a fan every night, no matter how cold it is. I need that sound to calm my mind when I sleep.

I stretch before bed, and do some deep breathing.

Yo could cut down on caffeine. Sometimes lack of sleep can get you into an overconsumptive cycle with it.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    White noise?

I run a fan every night, no matter how cold it is. I need that sound to calm my mind when I sleep.

I stretch before bed, and do some deep breathing.

Yo could cut down on caffeine. Sometimes lack of sleep can get you into an overconsumptive cycle with it.
    I need to have some kind of fan on to drown out other miscellaneous noises.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    I believe this is more of an Fe thing.

"Kathy Myers sparked this one. We were talking about Stonehenge (where I got married), and she related how she was disappointed when she visited Stonehenge because it was so crowded. But she says she shrugged and simply "tuned-out" all the other people so that, in her mind, she had Stonehenge all to herself and enjoyed it that way...

Kathy's preferences are for INFP, and what came up for me is that I don't think INFJs can "tune out" other people in that way. I think it's nearly impossible for INFJs to "disconnect" from the humanity around them. They overhear arguments and crying babies and flirting and all manner of interactions within the slightest earshot. Public transportation and restaurants can be raw experiences, depending on what kind of interactions they "tune" into. (Unless they're trying to solve a problem, of course, at which point INFJs can shut out everything like closing a door!)

The reason I offer this as a possible way of sorting between INFP and INFJ is that an INFJ's Fe (extraverted Feeling) is naturally attuned to social situations. It's where our radar operates, in conjunction with our extraverted Sensing that naturally soaks up external stimulation. On the other hand, INFP's Fi (introverted Feeling) is tuned into their inner values. They possess the ability to "disconnect" from what's going on around them and shut everything out in order to commune with themselves without interruption.
    "

That's true..I cannot disconnect..I cannot not listen to the TV or to someone who is speaking, even if i am really tired..and this sometimes leads to the "hammering" in my head.
    I don't drink coffe at all, because i know my level of arousal is already high..

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by sasi View Post
    I am an INFJ. Most of the times i cannot sleep because i am too sensitive to every little noise (that other people don't even notice) so, in order to sleep, i need complete silence...often i cannot turn my mind off (i am an over-thinker and tend to worry too much).
    Do you guys have similar problems? How do you cope with that?

P.S: sometimes i cannot stand people talking any more, i hear their voice hammering in my head and I just need silence and dark, so i have to go into my bedroom and shut out light and noise.
    I listen to talk radio at night, it helps my mind focus on one topic rather than 15 at once. For me, it's almost as if my brain is out of sync with my body when it comes to sleep, my body is burnt out while my brain is too busy analyzing the information at days end... And waking has the opposite affect.
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I often have some time periods when I have trouble with sleeping, for example right now. Just having to think and to think and to think about all and nothing when lying in bed. I cannot shut down really. But after some time, how long it ever may be (and it can be hours sometimes, though that is then really the worse scenarios), I will finally find sleep. Then again I consume lots of caffeine, probably not the cleverst thing to do In general I need more time to find sleep than any other people I know (but well, SO many people's sleeping habits I don't know either :P). But it is not that I have that trouble all the time, sometimes I can get to sleep relative normal.

Don't know about noise. I want to keep out noise when possible, but when I hear the TV from other room a bit I don't care too much I think. Of course not when there is really loud noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    I listen to talk radio at night, it helps my mind focus on one topic rather than 15 at once. For me, it's almost as if my brain is out of sync with my body when it comes to sleep, my body is burnt out while my brain is too busy analyzing the information at days end... And waking has the opposite affect.
    The same for me!
    I could try soccer matches..they make my eyelids fall (sooo boring!)
    And usually nothing interesting is being said.