User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I have kind of an interesting story for you, though it still makes me feel crazy. I was really close to my grandmother, conservative Roman Catholic woman, and one of my best friends. I would call myself a "Spiritual agnostic" to put it simply. I'm not really sure if I believe in in afterlife or not as it is very hard for me to understand, but some cooincidences and circumstances keep me kind of, believing in something.

The week that my grandmother died I was devastated, but still went ahead on the yearly camping trip that is so very important to me. I remember, one night, I was lying and looking up at the clear starry night, feeling really really sad about her fairly sudden loss. And, started praying to her. I was like, "Nana, if you hear me, send me a shooting star to tell me if you're okay. Not a dinky one. A big, huge, shooting star across the entire sky." I continued to pray for about five minutes when of course, the most flaming, magnificent shooting star i've ever seen crossed the sky. Everyone around just gasped, some WOWS! and so forth. I let out a squeal.

Shortly thereafter I was in a car, I was with the same boyfriend, thinking about my grandmother and the same exact thing happened. Sometimes when stuff like this happens, I can't help but believing. It was so strange.

Well, the boyfriend, (even less spiritual than I am) was a little freaked out too, to say the least!
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I have kind of an interesting story for you, though it still makes me feel crazy. I was really close to my grandmother, conservative Roman Catholic woman, and one of my best friends. I would call myself a "Spiritual agnostic" to put it simply. I'm not really sure if I believe in in afterlife or not as it is very hard for me to understand, but some cooincidences and circumstances keep me kind of, believing in something.

The week that my grandmother died I was devastated, but still went ahead on the yearly camping trip that is so very important to me. I remember, one night, I was lying and looking up at the clear starry night, feeling really really sad about her fairly sudden loss. And, started praying to her. I was like, "Nana, if you hear me, send me a shooting star to tell me if you're okay. Not a dinky one. A big, huge, shooting star across the entire sky." I continued to pray for about five minutes when of course, the most flaming, magnificent shooting star i've ever seen crossed the sky. Everyone around just gasped, some WOWS! and so forth. I let out a squeal.

Shortly thereafter I was in a car, I was with the same boyfriend, thinking about my grandmother and the same exact thing happened. Sometimes when stuff like this happens, I can't help but believing. It was so strange.

Well, the boyfriend, (even less spiritual than I am) was a little freaked out too, to say the least!

Thanks for sharing that, Shorts. Simlar things happened to my mother and sister when there were deaths in my family. both had dreams the night before, where the person involved said don't worry. It will be ok...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I am sorry about your loss. You shouldn't feel guilty, everyone grieves in their own way.

As for an afterlife, I am open to the idea, but as there is no way to know if it exists or in what form, it doesn't matter to me right now.

I am fine either way. If there is no afterlife, I will live on in flowers and trees and people's memories.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

So sorry for your losses - cancer is a grim disease

I strongly believe in reincarnation - and recommend Michael Newtons books to those who are interested to read more about it. ("Life between lives" and "Destiny of souls").
    I also believe that the souls of the departed stay around us for a while after death, and that they sometimes choose to contact us.
    I have no sense of humour.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I would like to believe there is one, and that it's someplace worth being, but there's no way to know for sure.

There is just choice, and faith, and hope.

I think a turning point came for me when I realized how I wanted to live my life and the sort of person I wanted to be... regardless of what might come after. I don't think about the afterlife much at all, I just focus on what I must face in this life and make the most of my time with the people I love while they are here, while learning to accept the natural change and flux that is part and parcel of a world like this one.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

I believe that death is the next stage of life, like switching over to another plane, or dimension... Maybe after you die you are born on another version of Earth.
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INFJ

I believe in an afterlife.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INFJ

Thank you everyone for your condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post

That is a very interesting story. Stuff like this makes me wonder...

I just suddenly remembered a book I read on the Fourth Way, which is a spiritual philosophy associated with G.I. Gurdjieff. According to his teachings, the soul is not immortal in the strict sense. The soul exists only temporarily after one's death; however, it can transcend to higher levels of existence. To do that, a person must reach a spiritual awakening on earth and undergo a process of individualization. Most people fail to reach this state in their life, and merely function as robots, not real persons.

If one manages to reach this state, their soul will be able to move to the higher levels of existence, prolonging its life. Eventually, though, the soul can only reach a certain level before it becomes assimilated by the universe. So we cannot retain our individuality (in the way we understand it as humans); rather, we can only exist eternally as part of something greater than ourselves.

I hope I explained it correctly. It's pretty deep and it has been a long time since I've read it.

MBTI
    ENFP

I am sorry for your losses. It is hard losing someone close to us, and so much harder when it happens in multiples. Regarding your question, I can't decide if I believe in an afterlife. I am pretty anti organized religion so I do know that I don't believe in the traditional Catholic view that I was brought up with. I am currently thinking that maybe we are reincarnated. Then again, maybe our energy just gets reabsorbed and that's it. Sometimes I like to think that we can become ghosts so I can cause chaos for people I don't like. Like putting gummy worms in people's bathtubs, or a dog poop under the seat in their car.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

MBTI
    INFP

No, I don't believe in afterlife. My view of life and consciousness is the most cold, harsh and biological one possible.

I do however like to think of everyone and everything living forever in history, which is like a magical realm of it's own. The person, and all the things they thought, felt and did, would always have happened, they will forever be stamped in history, always be real. So even when someone you love dies, and their consciousness does not exist in the present, it still existed in the past and nothing can change that, therefore it still does exist in it's own way. As does your relationship with them.