• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] what music do you find good?

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
??? _ i like rock and I think that indie is probably the most interesting...

enfp1091

MBTI Type
ENFP
Anything that makes me imagine situations, move my feelings or/and makes me dance.

I like pop, rock, alternative, Hip-Hop, Rap and electronic a lot.

P

Phantonym

All music is good, more or less, depending on my mood. :)

Prime

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The way I see it, all genres are good. However, the majority of artists in every genre are not.

But that's not a bad thing because everyone's definition of "good" is different. And that's where having a broad sample to choose from works wonders.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Whatever I feel like listening to.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Music that is authentic. This means music that grows out of a tradition naturally rather than as a commodity. Commercialized music is the only type that makes me feel nauseated. Folk or classical genres from any place are interesting to me. I tend to enjoy music for where it takes me, rather than how similarly it resonates with me. I like music that enlightens me in some manner.

Some music that does both includes:
Koto and Shakuhachi music of Japan
traditional Celtic folk music
Western European Classical (especially chamber music)
Native American flute music
Indian classical music I adore and especially like the vocal style from Southern India
Composers influenced by Armenian folk music also speak to me
And I heard a solo female artist from Uzbekistan on LinkTV the other day that blew me away, but I don't know anything more about that tradition.
I also have a soft spot for the blues and for modern jazz

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I literally like everything. Not all of everything, but every genre. Flamenco, pop, jazz, classical, country, folk, music from any country. The common denominator is, it's got to grab me. It's got to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, or give me goosebumps, or stop me in my tracks with the truth of it, or delight me into bliss -- if it moves me in any way (not just to dance), I can dig it.

P

Phantonym

The common denominator is, it's got to grab me. It's got to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, or give me goosebumps, or stop me in my tracks with the truth of it, or delight me into bliss -- if it moves me in any way (not just to dance), I can dig it.

I can relate. It's the same with me as well. However, I seem to be in a constant flux with my interest in music. What "grabs" me one day leaves me quite indifferent on another day. Everything is sort of in a constant movement, new things replace the old, the old resurfaces again and so on. I love the overall process.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A wide variety of music, excepting rap and country.

Classical:
Rachmaninoff
Shostakovich
Debussy
Chopin
Mahler
Tchaikovsky
Stravinsky
Ravel

Jazz:
Benny Goodman
Artie Shaw
John Coltrane
Joe Zawinul
Weather Report
Herbie Hancock
Glenn Miller
Dave Brubeck
George Benson
Bill Evans
Duke Ellington
Charlie Parker

Classic Pop, Rock and Prog:
Genesis
Tony Banks
Mike and the Mechanics
Steve Hackett
Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
The Beatles
The Beach Boys
Simon and Garfunkel
The Rolling Stones
Spanky and Our Gang
Santana
Steve Miller Band
Burt Bacharach
Fleetwood Mac
Eric Clapton
Sting
Stewart Copeland
The Police
Steve Winwood
Stevie Wonder
Elton John
Billy Joel
UK
Eddie Jobson
Kate Bush
David Bowie

80s:
Toyah Wilcox
ABC
Nik Kershaw
Simple Minds
Dream Academy
Mr. Mister
Howard Jones
Blondie
Cyndi Lauper
a-ha
Naked Eyes
Thompson Twins
Crowded House
Wang Chung
Don Henley

Electronica:
Art of Noise
Kraftwerk
Tomita
Ryuichi Sakamoto
Craig Padilla and Skip Murphy
Vangelis
Jean Michael Jarre
Massive Attack

And a lot of other stuff, mostly 60s through the 00s. I like a variety.

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The music that makes me feel something.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a more eclectic taste than I thought when I think about it, but I would be in denial if I did not note a major pattern.

I like a lot of music classified in one or more of the following (but labels are so confining): 80s alternative, indie/college rock, indie dance & dance-punk, indie pop and "smart" pop, Brit pop, Twee, shoegaze, garage, glam rock, classic punk & post-punk, etc. Much of that has similar threads running through it, even if the styles seem different on the surface. They're just subgenres of rock/pop and dance music right below the mainstream radar. I'm not a snob that only likes very obscure music, but I don't listen to the radio.

I also like some jazz music....30s/40s swing, Brazilian bosa nova, Afro-Latin jazz, etc. And I like classical music also, particularly from the Baroque period. I like some 60s soul music, like Smoky Robinson and especially girl groups.

What makes me like music....like anything, a song resonates with me on some level as being "true". It may be on a shallow level, or a deeper one, but even when music is merely "fun" to me, there's something "smart" about it that keeps me coming back. I can like "catchy" music, but if it does not resonate, it wears thin quickly. I am excited by new sounds, but suspicious of what seems gimmicky. I like smart lyrics & unique voices. I notice a tendency towards music that creates an emotional atmosphere.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
music made by people i find good and participating in projects i find good. something that reveals to me an aspect of myself, or the world, or an experience. that stylizes my existence in a way that makes it special. that makes me perceive something in a new way, or captures/forms something previously too ephemeral and fluid to recognize. that gives meaning to images. but mostly it's just geeky N shit, something i find perceptive, unique, atmospheric, that creates a different space for me to exist within.

off the cuff, whatever neptunesunset, orangeappled, candylandjoe, and prime like, or any other person worth battling for musical supremacy of the universe.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nothing anybody else would be impressed by. :laugh:

But anything that makes me want to dance. Any song that makes me feel anything in particular will make me want to dance. (And well...being a dancer, it's not just "dance" music...it can be any genre, I guess.)

trondor

MBTI Type
infp
Come to think of it, I can connect my two main functions with my music taste.

Ne music is fun, erratic music that jumps here and there and have a lot of surprising sounds and rhytmes, often using non-instrumental sound (real life sounds integrated with the music, like trainsounds and birdsinging and such). Like jazz music. Others might find this music to be noisy.

Fi music is esoteric, dreamy, emotional music that usually follow the same theme over the whole duration of the tune. Most are labelled as rock/alternative. Others might find this music monotonous.

But music taste are quite intangible, so don't take this to serious :newwink:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I like whatever gets me in a fucking mood, so something like Elvis.

Since I don't know how to make the youtube box appear: YouTube - The Residents - Burning Love

I like exciting, thoughtful, flawless music. Stuff that intentionally sets itself apart from the pack but in an at least semi-composed, thought out way that bears repeated listening, not constrained by the now.

Labels, categorizations, and genres appeal very, very little to me.

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I love music that is talented and beautiful. I love a beautiful voice, delicious lyrics, melodies dripping like olive oil off the instruments. :wubbie:

I also like music that makes me think. This whole bit is kind of nerdy, but the things that I notice the most in music are chord/melody structure, voice quality, dynamics, rhythm, then lyrics. I like kind of irregular music with unusual chords, unexpected flourishes, surprises here and there. I have absolute pitch, meaning I can tell you what note is being played at any given time, so I like it when I can't predict the way the chords will go, or when I have to pick apart a chord to know what it is, rather than knowing it right when I hear it. I've noticed most of the songs I like are in 6/8 time. I love triplets, too (especially if they're hot :devil:)

Genres... classical, rock (especially progressive), jazz, blues (cuz that's what I grew up listening to), some folk, old-timey country music (like in O Brother Where Art Thou?) barbershop lol, ummm... not rap. Pretty much, if you give me a pretty song, I'll love it. :happy2:

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
of course i like music that makes me feel or think, but not to the exclusion of music that just.. doesn't. i listen to more than my share of dumb primitive "three-chords-or-less" garage pumped out by nobodies of days past. :drummerboy:

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also like music that makes me think. This whole bit is kind of nerdy, but the things that I notice the most in music are chord/melody structure, voice quality, dynamics, rhythm, then lyrics. I like kind of irregular music with unusual chords, unexpected flourishes, surprises here and there. I have absolute pitch, meaning I can tell you what note is being played at any given time, so I like it when I can't predict the way the chords will go, or when I have to pick apart a chord to know what it is, rather than knowing it right when I hear it. I've noticed most of the songs I like are in 6/8 time. I love triplets, too (especially if they're hot :devil:)

I love music that gets me to think too. Probably why I'm drawn to prog as well. If it's an unusual chord change, or some ridiculously haunting atmosphere, it draws me in like anything.

Speaking of a piece in 6/8, with progressive sounds to it:
YouTube - Genesis Entangled

This one is quite melancholic, but gorgeous. Lots of unusual chord changes:
YouTube - Tony Banks-The Waters of Lethe(Remaster)

Also like these pieces too:
YouTube - Eddie Jobson(Piano Solo)- Disturbance in Vienna
YouTube - Kate Bush- Delius (Song Of Summer)
YouTube - ART OF NOISE: MOMENTS IN LOVE (THE ORIGINAL)
YouTube - clip_IllBeWaiting.wmv
YouTube - Carrying No Cross (extract)
YouTube - Space Intro/Fly Like An Eagle/Wild Mountian Honey
YouTube - Massive Attack - Protection
YouTube - Sara

There's a lot of music that I enjoy.