User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    All music is good, more or less, depending on my mood.

MacArthur Park

What mood would this be?
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

ˇcataplum!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I have a more eclectic taste than I thought when I think about it, but I would be in denial if I did not note a major pattern.

I like a lot of music classified in one or more of the following (but labels are so confining): 80s alternative, indie/college rock, indie dance & dance-punk, indie pop and "smart" pop, Brit pop, Twee, shoegaze, garage, glam rock, classic punk & post-punk, etc. Much of that has similar threads running through it, even if the styles seem different on the surface. They're just subgenres of rock/pop and dance music right below the mainstream radar. I'm not a snob that only likes very obscure music, but I don't listen to the radio.

I also like some jazz music....30s/40s swing, Brazilian bosa nova, Afro-Latin jazz, etc. And I like classical music also, particularly from the Baroque period. I like some 60s soul music, like Smoky Robinson and especially girl groups.

What makes me like music....like anything, a song resonates with me on some level as being "true". It may be on a shallow level, or a deeper one, but even when music is merely "fun" to me, there's something "smart" about it that keeps me coming back. I can like "catchy" music, but if it does not resonate, it wears thin quickly. I am excited by new sounds, but suspicious of what seems gimmicky. I like smart lyrics & unique voices. I notice a tendency towards music that creates an emotional atmosphere.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post

MacArthur Park

What mood would this be?
    I can't hear that song without thinking of this one:

[YOUTUBE="gh4zvQfDhi0"]Jurassic Park[/YOUTUBE]
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

music made by people i find good and participating in projects i find good. something that reveals to me an aspect of myself, or the world, or an experience. that stylizes my existence in a way that makes it special. that makes me perceive something in a new way, or captures/forms something previously too ephemeral and fluid to recognize. that gives meaning to images. but mostly it's just geeky N shit, something i find perceptive, unique, atmospheric, that creates a different space for me to exist within.

off the cuff, whatever neptunesunset, orangeappled, candylandjoe, and prime like, or any other person worth battling for musical supremacy of the universe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Nothing anybody else would be impressed by.

But anything that makes me want to dance. Any song that makes me feel anything in particular will make me want to dance. (And well...being a dancer, it's not just "dance" music...it can be any genre, I guess.)

MBTI
    infp
    Socionics
    INFj

Come to think of it, I can connect my two main functions with my music taste.

Ne music is fun, erratic music that jumps here and there and have a lot of surprising sounds and rhytmes, often using non-instrumental sound (real life sounds integrated with the music, like trainsounds and birdsinging and such). Like jazz music. Others might find this music to be noisy.

Fi music is esoteric, dreamy, emotional music that usually follow the same theme over the whole duration of the tune. Most are labelled as rock/alternative. Others might find this music monotonous.

But music taste are quite intangible, so don't take this to serious

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I like whatever gets me in a fucking mood, so something like Elvis.

Since I don't know how to make the youtube box appear: YouTube - The Residents - Burning Love

I like exciting, thoughtful, flawless music. Stuff that intentionally sets itself apart from the pack but in an at least semi-composed, thought out way that bears repeated listening, not constrained by the now.

Labels, categorizations, and genres appeal very, very little to me.

thinking of you

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I love music that is talented and beautiful. I love a beautiful voice, delicious lyrics, melodies dripping like olive oil off the instruments.

I also like music that makes me think. This whole bit is kind of nerdy, but the things that I notice the most in music are chord/melody structure, voice quality, dynamics, rhythm, then lyrics. I like kind of irregular music with unusual chords, unexpected flourishes, surprises here and there. I have absolute pitch, meaning I can tell you what note is being played at any given time, so I like it when I can't predict the way the chords will go, or when I have to pick apart a chord to know what it is, rather than knowing it right when I hear it. I've noticed most of the songs I like are in 6/8 time. I love triplets, too (especially if they're hot )

Genres... classical, rock (especially progressive), jazz, blues (cuz that's what I grew up listening to), some folk, old-timey country music (like in O Brother Where Art Thou?) barbershop lol, ummm... not rap. Pretty much, if you give me a pretty song, I'll love it.
    Just because I'm an INFP doesn't mean I'm emo!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

of course i like music that makes me feel or think, but not to the exclusion of music that just.. doesn't. i listen to more than my share of dumb primitive "three-chords-or-less" garage pumped out by nobodies of days past.
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by paradox fox View Post
    I also like music that makes me think. This whole bit is kind of nerdy, but the things that I notice the most in music are chord/melody structure, voice quality, dynamics, rhythm, then lyrics. I like kind of irregular music with unusual chords, unexpected flourishes, surprises here and there. I have absolute pitch, meaning I can tell you what note is being played at any given time, so I like it when I can't predict the way the chords will go, or when I have to pick apart a chord to know what it is, rather than knowing it right when I hear it. I've noticed most of the songs I like are in 6/8 time. I love triplets, too (especially if they're hot )
    I love music that gets me to think too. Probably why I'm drawn to prog as well. If it's an unusual chord change, or some ridiculously haunting atmosphere, it draws me in like anything.

Speaking of a piece in 6/8, with progressive sounds to it:
    YouTube - Genesis Entangled

This one is quite melancholic, but gorgeous. Lots of unusual chord changes:
    YouTube - Tony Banks-The Waters of Lethe(Remaster)

Also like these pieces too:
    YouTube - Eddie Jobson(Piano Solo)- Disturbance in Vienna
    YouTube - Kate Bush- Delius (Song Of Summer)
    YouTube - ART OF NOISE: MOMENTS IN LOVE (THE ORIGINAL)
    YouTube - clip_IllBeWaiting.wmv
    YouTube - Carrying No Cross (extract)
    YouTube - Space Intro/Fly Like An Eagle/Wild Mountian Honey
    YouTube - Massive Attack - Protection
    YouTube - Sara

There's a lot of music that I enjoy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche