• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] When an INFJ doorslams you / cuts you out of their life / breaks off contact

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
but - perhaps ironically to your example - throughout this conversation, whenever i've beig hearing the examples of one sided stories, whenever i have seen the depiction of cutting off the other's perspective, of blaming it all on the other side, how toxic/vampiric/[insert villanizing] they where, how the doorslammer feels they exhausted all other possibilities and had no choice, i can't help but think of the classic line from any book or media depicting a beating husband, in that moment after, when he look at the wife saying, "now look what you've made me do".

For me personally if I've felt it necessary to shut someone out of my life it's been highly emotional for me and a lot of negative feelings relate to the memory. It happens so rarely that it's really a kind of a significant moment in life. It's happened to me maybe 2 or 3 times in 30 years.

I've shut people out of my life "suddenly" in two contexts
1.) A friend has done something underhanded I would consider the ultimate betrayal of trust that has at the same time caused damage to a meaningful relationship or my work.
2) Someone continuing on with a repeated harmful behavior that I've mentioned several times is an issue I cannot live with (like for example talking to me consistently in a derisive way for example, or other types of toxic behavior). In these cases I take into account their life situations and other "stress factors", but if it's just ongoing for a long time there can be a cutoff point where I just won't put up with it anymore and I'll leave the relationship. But if this happens I've discussed it enough times for them to have had plenty of opportunity to make good. Conversation after that is moot because it's been conversed a billion times already.

That said I'll weather huge amounts of crazy behavior from certain people who are permanent fixtures in my life. People I know have their heart in the right place...(unless they take it TOO FAR and that would be far indeed... like setting my house on fire or something...see no 1 or in intimate relationships 2. although I never sever the ties completely. They just get demoted to friends if they want to stick around. I don't see this differing from normal break-ups other types have...except I'm on good terms with my Ex:s )

It takes a long time for people to become what I'd consider "friends" before that they fall into the colleagues or acquaintaces categories and though I wouldn't shut anyone of them out with no communication unless they'd do something inexcusable. If I'm not that interested in a deeper friendship I wouldn't keep contact necessarily, but the phone works two ways and I do pick it up. But this is what other Feelers do too. ISFJs ENFJs ESFJs spring to mind... ...then again ESTPs are polite too even to those they don't want to be around...so it's not just INFJ domain that there. Some more insensitive types just say "I don't want to hang out" or something. That's their perogative. I kind of fade gradually if I don't want to be friends with someone. If they really just don't take the hint (like me not being available for anything for a half a year...) and they keep calling and pursuing I'd at some point stop answering the phone. As would other types. Sometimes people misunderstand my communication style and read too much into it. Maybe then they feel upset, but that's a two person miscommunication, not all my fault so to speak. Like ENFPs being warm and personable all the time or ESTPs seeming interested in you specifically for example. It's a style. INFJs have a style of being friendly and attentive in communications. Don't read too much into it.

...so to those who've been "doorslammed" by an INFJ here's some questions (because there's not really much backstory wise there either. Just people saying INFJs have doorslammed you, because they tend to do that...which sounds weird to me) :

IF it's a long term close friendship:
Has there been an incident where you've betrayed their trust? That's something INFJs really dislike with a passion. Have you cheated on them? Been flirting with other people? Told things shared in confidence to others? Used their ideas without permission?
Have your actions resulted in problems in their other close relationships? Or jeopardized their projects? Have you thought you could do things behind their backs? Have you been an all around inconsiderate boob souring atmospheres left and right causing problems for people (not that you'd necessarily have sufficient self awareness to realize it)?
IF it's more casual have they been aloof and distant otherwise too. Have you wanted the relationship to be more, very strongly pursued and they retreated? That means it's most likely one sided interest on your part and you're putting them in an akward situation of having to spell it out for you... though if they door slam you...are you what could be termed "a stalker"? Do you call a million times a day? Do you follow them around town? Do you imagine relationships with them that they are "too blind to see"? Stalker. I've doorslammed one. I think it's called self defense.
Those would be things that would upset me.
One thing you've got to remember is that INFJs can smell out inconsistencies in behavior and intension and all types of underlying nuanced motives people tend to have so when some (especially strong Se types and maybe strong T types) don't see there being any problems in a situation the INFJ would be (at least one of) the first to know. ...and us INFJ folks don't like to live in these kind of tense states. It's not good for our healths.

S

Society

...so to those who've been "doorslammed" by an INFJ here's some questions (because there's not really much backstory wise there either. Just people saying INFJs have doorslammed you, because they tend to do that...which sounds weird to me)

actually there's a lot of backstory around, and i noticed some consistent elements between them, and it's in the questions you didn't ask:

Has there been an incident where they have betrayed your trust?
from worst to lowest:
  • she has made a commitment to honor and respect my parental relationship with my stepson seperately from what happens between me & her, knowing it was the basis on which i opened myself and allowed the parental bond to form and reach the depth that it did, and broke it.
  • when things got bad, she has made a commitment to be patient and seek couple therapy so we can try to salvage the relationship and be open to solutions we didn't think about, and broke it.
  • and i suppose she broke the commitment of saying yes-i'll-marry-you styaing in sickness-and-in-health and all that jazz, but that's sort of a norm at this point..
  • went into various online acounts and causing problems faster then i could change the passwords.
Have they cheated on you?
partially - she has dated (by her definition) other men behind my back while we where married, maintains she didn't go through with it sexually, but resented me for being the cause of her guilt (as apposed to her own actions).
Have they been flirting with other people?
most definetly.
Did they telll things shared in confidence to others?
not that i know of.
Used your ideas without permission?
well, yes but she knew she can with me..
Have their actions resulted in problems in your other close relationships?
not directly, no.
have they jeopardized your projects?
there was a previously described eggshell period in which somehow my projects became second priorities to her needs while mine where unacounted for.
Have they thought they could do things behind your backs?
well the whole dating thing while we where togethe rand married... among others...
Have they been an all around inconsiderate boob souring atmospheres left and right causing problems for people?
most definetly, forcing my mother into extremely awkward positions.

now, following what they did
Have you cheated on them?
nope
Been flirting with other people?
nope
Used their ideas without permission?
well technically when she threatened to sue me i called a few lawyers and formed a few larger lawsuit cases... nobody has pressed the trigger yet. hopefully we won't have too, but it was her idea and i did steal it...
Have your actions resulted in problems in their other close relationships?
yes - i maintained close relationships with our shared friends - some of which where of her of her family - and since they seemed they where willing to listen, i just... vented and vented, humiliating her in the process.
Told things shared in confidence to others?
not so much directly, but more judging her "out of the shell" self in front of others within my venting, which was otherwise consisted of a lot of herself that she doesn't share with others.
Have you thought you could do things behind their backs?
once she has broken her finale and most important commitment to me and told me about it, i took a portion of my money out of our bank acount and deducted what to leave behind based on what was left off the month, not knowing the state of the bills and not realizing i would be leaving her behind on credit card payments for things which we all shared from the previous month, had no problem fixing it when i learned it was the case.
Or jeopardized their projects?
following that, she would have lost what used to be our savings for moving expanses and first-and-last month payments on a better apartment we had our eyes on... although she technically didn't come with us when we went apartment touring... i think she just really hated our current apartment.. and i did too: it was small, crowded, new landlord that never fixed anything yet didn't allow us to fix anything pipe or electricity related...
Has there been an incident where you've betrayed their trust?
from her perspective all of the above was betraying her trust.
Have you been an all around inconsiderate boob souring atmospheres left and right causing problems for people?
from her perspective she believes i was because me leaving caused her to depend on her extended family, the fact it was her decision, thati didn't want to leave and that she threatened to lie to immigration about me if i didn't leave the country, didn't come into play in her assestment.

Starry

One thing you've got to remember is that INFJs can smell out inconsistencies in behavior and intension and all types of underlying nuanced motives people tend to have so when some (especially strong Se types and maybe strong T types) don't see there being any problems in a situation the INFJ would be (at least one of) the first to know. ...and us INFJ folks don't like to live in these kind of tense states. It's not good for our healths.

I think it is a bit odd to...I don't know *assume* an INFJ can 'smell out inconsistencies in behavior' better than any other type. This is not some superhuman-magical-power or anything. Other types may choose not to focus on 'behavioral inconsistencies'...but that doesn't mean they do not take notice...that they do not recognize when inconsistencies occur (I know I am highly sensitive to all patterns...behavioral or otherwise). Moreover, I think it is a bit odd...and perhaps dangerous to interpersonal relationships to assume that from those 'behavioral incosistences' you can accurately determine an individual's intent/motive. <--- I'm just mentioning this because here is where my relationship with an INFJ jumped-the-tracks. I can truthfully answer 'no' and 'absolutely not' to all of the questions you presented in your post (attempting to arrive at 'How You Earned Yourself A Doorslam')...and yet my INFJ thought I had. He created a big, elaborate story based off of his...super-human-ability to 'smell out inconsistencies in behavior'.

LOL...and I have to add...'he done fucked-up'.

BalanceFind

...well, i'm not sure about the US but... i remember in my family's real estate business, where a few junkies settled in a vecant flat and turned it into something you can't show any potential resident, ijust called the police. if the property is on your name, you might not need much of a process to get it back.

It is not the U.S. It is in both of our names. It is a very expensive and complex legal process. This is a very high end area. Both criminal and civil cases are extremely expensive and take some time. The fastest and easiest thing is to get her to meet in person at least once to hopefully get her to sign a mutually beneficial deal.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
BalanceFind, I wish you luck. It sounds like you are dealing with an emotionally unhinged person and a narcissist, and that is incredibly difficult territory to navigate. (In fact, it's why some of us choose not to navigate it at all, by cutting off contact with the person- you don't have that luxury because of your financial entanglements.)

For the record, I don't think it's possible to extrapolate typical INFJ behavior from that of an emotionally unhinged person or narcissist who may or may not be an INFJ (it's notoriously difficult/inadvisable to try to type the mentally ill). That is what has been bothering me about the tone lately in this thread.

BalanceFind

So, question: is it a "doorslam" if you tell the person *why* you're cutting off contact?

Like suppose I were to say to someone "I can't handle you doing _____ anymore. I'm going to have to steer clear of you if you don't stop." But instead of stopping, the person continues to argue why _______ shouldn't be a problem in the first place. Or they give a bunch of excuses for why they can't help it (which are clearly excuses). Or they deny doing _______ at all. They won't be honest about it because they don't want to stop. Is it a "doorslam" if I refuse to deal with the person from that point forward?

I'm getting the impression that some people don't consider that a "doorslam".

I'm not sure. But for me, if someone left me or my life, I would expect meeting in person, at least once, preferably multiple times to talk an listen on both sides. At some point a final decision and in person comversation happens.

Anything is better than nothing, and I think the more attempts at clear mutual understanding the better. I think it is important that both sides understand and both sides are very clear of the situation.

Your brief example seems rushed and one sided at first glance.

BalanceFind

So I'm looking for different opinions here. Because if everyone is thinking that "doorslam" means there's absolutely no warning or attempt at explanation for what the problem behavior is, then I'm going to retract having said I doorslammed anyone as an adult. I assumed "doorslam" to mean cutting off contact and refusing to deal with someone.

I believed door slam to be the same as you but That's just me. In the past I have stopped talking with some people or vice versa in my life but we both saw it coming and knew it was coming. In my current situation, I never saw it coming. Whether planned or impulsive, it feels covert, calculated, punishing. It feels as if the sneal attack surprise and continued disappearance is a deliberate punishment much different than someone that doesn't want to be in my life any longer ans moves on. It's very grandiose, dramatic, over the top. It's different, unique.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION]
I'm really sorry to hear your story. I actually wrote avery long reply that disappeared because I timed out. I really hope things sort out with time. It's such a completely different, complex, intimate and multi leveled thing when it's a marriage. I was really just trying to make a point that INFJs don't go around habitually breaking off with people whenever there's a minor problem, without giving them explanations. This is obviously a very different thing. I'm really sorry to hear what a tough time it's been for you. I wish you all the best and take care!

I think it is a bit odd to...I don't know *assume* an INFJ can 'smell out inconsistencies in behavior' better than any other type. This is not some superhuman-magical-power or anything. Other types may choose not to focus on 'behavioral inconsistencies'...but that doesn't mean they do not take notice...that they do not recognize when inconsistencies occur (I know I am highly sensitive to all patterns...behavioral or otherwise). Moreover, I think it is a bit odd...and perhaps dangerous to interpersonal relationships to assume that from those 'behavioral incosistences' you can accurately determine an individual's intent/motive. <--- I'm just mentioning this because here is where my relationship with an INFJ jumped-the-tracks. I can truthfully answer 'no' and 'absolutely not' to all of the questions you presented in your post (attempting to arrive at 'How You Earned Yourself A Doorslam')...and yet my INFJ thought I had. He created a big, elaborate story based off of his...super-human-ability to 'smell out inconsistencies in behavior'.

What I meant was that I and from what I've gathered other INFJs are pretty sensitive to noticing underlying dynamics in groups and relationships...when other's are lying or when there's foul play. That's what I meant. That's why the type descriptions usually mention that type of thing in them. "The almost supernatural ability to read people" yadda yadda...The reports for companies mentioning INFJs as being some kind of barometers for the general atmosphere in teams because we're the first to notice disharmony.
I would say generally it's accurate and basically just a general talent or ability, like ENFPs generally having talent for creative thinking or acting (neurological studies show activity in a part of the brain which is responsible for the ability to mimic). It's just natural disposition. I don't think it makes anyone infallible. I'm totally guilty of sometimes reading too much into a simple situation. But then again there are often times I am right, when someone seems shady and they turn out to do something harmful. at work I'm very aware of how people group together and how those groups relate. If there's friction I feel like I'm in a pressure cooker because I'm much more sensitive to it than most people.
Obviously the man just had poor judgement if that's the case. Maybe he projected his fears unto you. That's very sad.

BalanceFind

I don't understand that either. There are simply some people who fade out of my life, or that I have decided aren't a good match for me. There simply isn't enough room for absolutely everyone you meet over the course of a lifetime. Additionally, if I decide someone has a detrimental effect on me, it's only common sense that I would choose not to spend time with them and in some cases, not to even communicate with them.

It depends on how close you are to the person and how often you speak. Some people mutually fade away but they are not people you know a long time, speak with a lot, very close relationship etc...

How close is the relationship? has it faded away for years, a casual or decent friend, but no more? Or is it a close friend or spouse etc..?

The people that have faded away from me or vice versa were not in my every day life. That is much different. if it is more than that t requirea to me at least, in person discussion back and forth until there is a clear understanding on both sides. You don't have to agree, just be very clear.

Starry

So I'm looking for different opinions here. Because if everyone is thinking that "doorslam" means there's absolutely no warning or attempt at explanation for what the problem behavior is, then I'm going to retract having said I doorslammed anyone as an adult. I assumed "doorslam" to mean cutting off contact and refusing to deal with someone.

I'm also guilty of not sharing with them why I choose not to associate myself with them anymore. If I don't want to let them back in then I don't see a reason to discuss with them why I am angry.

[MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION]

Since, as you know, I was totally confused last night…because I had always thought a key feature of the doorslam was a sense that it came out-of-the-blue and was not accompanied by an explanation… I started going through this thread and a couple of others I am aware of to try and arrive at a conclusion. And frankly that was a huge mess. Me…attempting to multiple quote…cut & paste…use word to keep track of it all… It was a disaster.

The quote above from wedekit is just the first of several appearing in this thread that seem to hint at the ‘no warning - no explanation provided’ theory…but it’s not necessarily the whole story.

The gist of it seemed to be that many (I would almost say most really but I may be bias here) INFJs did not provide a warning or explanation prior to a doorslam…on a ‘they should have known’ basis. Some INFJs did seem to imply that they gave a warning of… ‘If you continue to do A – I will do B’ < --- but not a lot. It did appear though that nearly all of the doorslammies seemed to, at least, experience the doorslam as coming out-of-the-blue. There were a few that admitted to actually doing something unkind or inappropriate... But most seemed to be surprised by it (unsure as to what had happened) which is probably why it is experienced as being shocking/traumatizing.

All and all...I don't really know what the above is pointing towards. But I at least I tried :) I did try to figure it out LOL.

BalanceFind

On the basis of all this I am not sure I have EVER done a doorslam. (Although, the difference is that the people I am thinking of were all close to me at some point.) I thought a "classic" doorslam was actually when you gave them a speech, then walked away and refused contact. Like I said in the other thread, I've done that, but did resolve things with both people after a few years.

I've refused to respond to attempts at contact, without explaining why (they ended up hearing more about the reasons through a mutual friend...) but the person made maybe three attempts and then stopped. I could have tried to resume contact but it would have been highly awkward under the circumstances and I didn't want to anyway. I have no idea how they feel about the whole situation. For all I know it could be anywhere from them feeling quite sad about the whole thing, to really caring very little.

I might be in the process of one now. Not sure yet. I view it more as shifting the burden of (basically) caring for someone who is mentally unstable, to those who should be more involved in the first place - ie. her parents and community.

I think I was semi-doorslammed by someone I used to be close to, after telling him I couldn't be his free therapist any more. I had said i was willing to continue a friendship if he didn't vent to me about his confused life any more, and he didn't want more contact after that. Although he did invite me to his leaving drinks before leaving the country. But then when I subsequently sent him a "hi" he was very cold and barely responded (but he did respond monosyllabically). I'm really not sure where that one falls.

This is very interesting to me. The infj in my situation ignored attempts at contact. Then she spoke a little to 3rd parties. The BIG problem. She told them things that were not correct or accurate. I am not saying lies. I am saying she thought things that were not true or accurate. She didn't hear things correctly, see things correctly, or read things correctly. She assumed that I thought this or that or felt this or that and all were false. She was confused and had facts way wrong. Then she took these assumptions and told others this is what I thought and felt. She never checked in with me to get a very clear understanding. She just took isolated words or things and as long as they were negative to her, she used those things.

This is my biggest problem. She made incorrect conclusions, then repeated them to others. The 3rd parties relayed this to me. I was stunned with just how far off she was about what I thought and felt.

Later she intentionally told lies which was different. But it started with jumping to wrong negative conclusions while she was under stress in her life.

Refusing to communicate after a door slam can lead to disaster for the infj and others. In my case this mes was 100 percent preventable.

BalanceFind

Have you ever done an experiment of sorts, and volunteered in a battered women's shelter? Those are filled with people who, in many cases, believed as you do that they were wrong to consider shutting the door on their abusive spouse.

This is very very different.

I would leave that abusive male or female. I would make sure that a very clear, direct, message was received by this person that I was leaving and why. I would protect myself at all costs. I would not just disappear without that clear message somehow. I would find a way to make sure it happened.

Even in that extreme, it is important to me that I am clear and why. You can do it safely too.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This is very very different.

I would leave that abusive male or female. I would make sure that a very clear, direct, message was received by this person that I was leaving and why. I would protect myself at all costs. I would not just disappear without that clear message somehow. I would find a way to make sure it happened.

Even in that extreme, it is important to me that I am clear and why. You can do it safely too.

I didn't realize doing it that way wasn't also considered a doorslam. I can't think of anyone who has advocated just disappearing with no explanation. In the case of an abusive SO I would want to be away and safe before they received the explanation, though.

BalanceFind

I think it is a bit odd to...I don't know *assume* an INFJ can 'smell out inconsistencies in behavior' better than any other type. This is not some superhuman-magical-power or anything. Other types may choose not to focus on 'behavioral inconsistencies'...but that doesn't mean they do not take
notice...that they do not recognize when inconsistencies occur (I know I am highly sensitive to all patterns...behavioral or otherwise). Moreover, I think it is a bit odd...and perhaps dangerous to interpersonal relationships to assume that from those 'behavioral incosistences' you can accurately determine an individual's intent/motive. <--- I'm just mentioning this because here is where my relationship with an INFJ jumped-the-tracks. I can truthfully answer 'no' and 'absolutely not' to all of the questions you presented in your post (attempting to arrive at 'How You Earned Yourself A Doorslam')...and yet my INFJ thought I had. He created a big, elaborate story based off of his...super-human-ability to 'smell out inconsistencies in behavior'.

The problem with assuming is often times one is wrong, with facts and conclusions. My infj has spoken a few times to a few people and I was amazed at what i heard. Amazed. She took isolated words from memory or email and other places and somehow pieced together some puzzle that is so far from the truth.

Checking in at timely fashions helps. A door slammer could really improve some situations by simply sitting down and saying what is on the door slammer's mind, thoughts, feelings, facts, questions, conclusions.

I am sure some of the time the time the door slammer could be on the right track, but many orher times, no. To not meet in person and not have a conversation back and forth, not just the infj feelings, facts ad the other person's feelings too, is ridiculous. Unless it is an extreme situation about safety or abuse, there is no excuse for not doing that in person.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
...there's really 86 pages of posts on this thread. :huh:
I'm at a loss of words. :blink:
Whatever it's worth I think it's normal to outgrow relationships and leave, there's usually serious issues with non-communication in any long term romantic relationship that is about to break/ is currently breaking up/ has been broken up. It's also normal not to invest similarly in all relationships and it's also normal not to pursue every relationship. There are many cliches about someone not picking up their phone after a date for example. They're not "doorslamming" just not interested. I think this thread is really weird. I can empathize with the people who have hurt feelings about their relationships going bad, but you know...did my ISFP ex fiancee "doorslam" me when he one morning decided he wanted to date his ex instead, sent me off from our mutual home with a suitcase and one towel and dropped me off at the buss stop? Is he an INFJ in disguise? Or a penpal from India I had when I was seven who never replied to my letter? INFJ???? How about the 5 or so guys who never asked me out for another date after the first one. If I'd call they'd not answer the phone. All INFJs? Or the girl in school I hung out with at music class. Never kept contact. INFJ? Or the guy I lived with for years who "emotionally doorslammed me" every day for ages...I thought he was ENTP but maybe INFJ instead. Or my good friend who hardly ever replies my enthusiastic e-mails (I only send one like every 3 days...) Doesn't make excuses for it either. Busy or INFJ instead? Can't take my intensity...must have emotional issues... I can empathize If you've had a hard time with someone who you think is an INFJ but most of the stuff on this thread is just plain crazy. People of all types end relationships and don't much talk afterwards. My ENTP ex used to not call people because he was pissed off they hadn't called him for a while. The other persona was oblivious to anything being wrong. Do I think all ENTPs are paranoid grudge holders. No. (Maybe he's an INFJ, misreading people though thinking he can) Or My ENTJ friend who used to dump guys because they hadn't replied to her texts fast enough...INFJ???
I think also us INFJs make it worse by actually considering ourselves being "doorslammers". Though I can see not many want to reply anymore... This would be a good example of a situation where the communication isn't going anywhere anymore and the tone is really hostile.. And as for adopting the "other point of view" If it's some stranger saying that people with my cognitive preference are erratic, evil, immature, self centered, narcissistic, double faced yadda yadda I would say, yes I do not concur with that point of view. Maybe Nardi can do his next set of EEGs to find out wether there's evidence of INFJs being childish evasive narcissists prone to doorlamming. I don't exactly know how that can be studied but maybe some of you can figure it out.
I mean now the INFJ definition is like this usually:

INFJ Theme
For Foreseer Developers, life is a process of never-ending personal growth, their own and others’. If something does not produce personal growth, then it is not truly worthwhile. If it does, then it is indeed worth all the effort it takes to make that growth happen. They enjoy problem solving in ways that sustain the vision they have of what can be and who we can become. They devote their lives to honoring the gifts of others, helping them to see what those gifts are and to find a way to develop those gifts

Taking a meaningful and creative approach to all aspects of life is essential to their well-being. This gives them the inner strength to allow others the space to be themselves and make the choices they make. It is then that their talent for foreseeing becomes painful. The hard part is that sometimes people don’t want to hear all the insights they have to offer.
By Linda V. Berens Ph.D. and Dario Nardi Ph.D.
http://www.careerplanner.com/Berens-Nardi/INFJ-Themes-Relationships.cfm

...whereas judging by this thread and all the INFJ induced horror and destruction witnessed by the "INFJs are doorslammer" advocates the Ni-Fe-Ti-Se function preference seems to have much more sinister implications... Should we be secluded from society as we perpetrate 100% of unwanted relationship communication breakups, though we're a mere 1,5% of the population??? :notthechildren:
...now that I really think about it I think judging by all the evidence most people I know who I have witnessed abruptly end a relationship with minimal excuse because of them perceiving the other as "behaving inappropriately" is actually due to large scale mistyping. they're all INFJs. even the ones who don't want to be.

BalanceFind

It seems a good topic is do Infj's know when they give warning or don't give warning of a door slam. Sometimes an infj may think he/she has provided a lot of warning, discussion, etc...when perhaps they do and perhaps they don't.

Do infj's know that to the other person, this is often times out of the blue without warning or hint it is coming?

My infj was pouting, witholding affection, for a small brief time. This was to me because of one or twi extremely minor every day things. it did carry on longer than normal. Normal was 1-2 days or less. This was more like a week or more. We seemed to be going through the motions politely that week or so. She was intentionally punishing me and admitted so. I know this because she was furious for a moment when she thought I was not noticing her witholding affection.

I handled it well. I tried different approaches. I walked on egg shells. I was secretly in my own mibd disappointed that she would overreact to such extremes over such minor things. I was getting tired of it but I was still normal. It never blew over for her. I tried affection, talking, listening, routine, something different, anything. Nothing. She was polite but quiet, not normal. When I had to leave town, she didn't contact me the first day or two, not normal. She didn't respond to phone or email. I had someone check on her after a few to several days. She was furious at that. I exposed accidentally some of our basic life situation and that she hadn't been in contact. She told me in anger of very brief call and few words to me that she waa done with me. I had no idea why, none.

Later I figured out that stress and reminders of some bad parts of her past, triggered the lower Ratp grip levels along with lower enneagram 3 levels, her wing. All she cared about at that point was her vision, material projects, nothing else. She has used overly self absorbed negative feelings to avoid reality, to avoid responsibility, to avoid principles and values, all things she had before.

In the past, with her or other infj 4w3 types I knew, self indulgence was small an brief, buying an expensive treat, but small an within reason once in a while. Not a big deal.

She became a different person when something or some things triggered that grip. She has never returned since that time. Her behavior started last june/July. I was door slammed in Sept.

We definitely had a lot of legit stress with some projects which led to some triggers for her. She panicked that her vision wasn't going to come true. It all worked out well, fine. But she didn't. I have read a lot about infj's that have gone bad, ignore reality and basic responsibilities that can led to huge problems for others and themselves. That is what happened and is happening since. She doesn't have incentive to talk with me or to help me or others other than to be ethical. She has to give something up, a lot to come back to reality. She has chosen greed, hiding, lying, stealing, self preservation at all costs. I never would have seen that coming from her, not with me.

Her attempt to steal is so brazen. Everyone knows it. Instead of giving up, she is going down with her vision only at all costs.

As I said before, for me, In a non major loose end situation, I would have still been shocked, panicked, tried to communicate back and forth in person to come to some positive solution, together or apart. Multiple conversations and in person meetings for a brief period. Quickly but thoroughly. Then you go live your own life and whatever happens happens in the future.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is very interesting to me. The infj in my situation ignored attempts at contact. Then she spoke a little to 3rd parties. The BIG problem. She told them things that were not correct or accurate. I am not saying lies. I am saying she thought things that were not true or accurate. She didn't hear things correctly, see things correctly, or read things correctly. She assumed that I thought this or that or felt this or that and all were false. She was confused and had facts way wrong. Then she took these assumptions and told others this is what I thought and felt. She never checked in with me to get a very clear understanding. She just took isolated words or things and as long as they were negative to her, she used those things.

This is my biggest problem. She made incorrect conclusions, then repeated them to others. The 3rd parties relayed this to me. I was stunned with just how far off she was about what I thought and felt.

Later she intentionally told lies which was different. But it started with jumping to wrong negative conclusions while she was under stress in her life.

Refusing to communicate after a door slam can lead to disaster for the infj and others. In my case this mes was 100 percent preventable.

I tend not to say much about people who are out of my life, to others. I think it causes problems especially if there are mutual friends and such. And I am aware that my take on the situation may not be 100% representative of how the other person thinks or feels. I can't read their minds, and even if I talked to them, I still wouldn't know. I don't trust many people's words much any more, especially those I've fallen out with.

BalanceFind

...there's really 86 pages of posts on this thread. :huh:
I'm at a loss of words. :blink:
Whatever it's worth I think it's normal to outgrow relationships and leave, there's usually serious issues with non-communication in any long term romantic relationship that is about to break/ is currently breaking up/ has been broken up. It's also normal not to invest similarly in all relationships and it's also normal not to pursue every relationship. There are many cliches about someone not picking up their phone after a date for example. They're not "doorslamming" just not interested. I think this thread is really weird. I can empathize with the people who have hurt feelings about their relationships going bad, but you know...did my ISFP ex fiancee "doorslam" me when he one morning decided he wanted to date his ex instead, sent me off from our mutual home with a suitcase and one towel and dropped me off at the buss stop? Is he an INFJ in disguise? Or a penpal from India I had when I was seven who never replied to my letter? INFJ???? How about the 5 or so guys who never asked me out for another date after the first one. If I'd call they'd not answer the phone. All INFJs? Or the girl in school I hung out with at music class. Never kept contact. INFJ? Or the guy I lived with for years who "emotionally doorslammed me" every day for ages...I thought he was ENTP but maybe INFJ instead. Or my good friend who hardly ever replies my enthusiastic e-mails (I only send one like every 3 days...) Doesn't make excuses for it either. Busy or INFJ instead? Can't take my intensity...must have emotional issues... I can empathize If you've had a hard time with someone who you think is an INFJ but most of the stuff on this thread is just plain crazy. People of all types end relationships and don't much talk afterwards. My ENTP ex used to not call people because he was pissed off they hadn't called him for a while. The other persona was oblivious to anything being wrong. Do I think all ENTPs are paranoid grudge holders. No. (Maybe he's an INFJ, misreading people though thinking he can) Or My ENTJ friend who used to dump guys because they hadn't replied to her texts fast enough...INFJ???
I think also us INFJs make it worse by actually considering ourselves being "doorslammers". Though I can see not many want to reply anymore... This would be a good example of a situation where the communication isn't going anywhere anymore and the tone is really hostile.. And as for adopting the "other point of view" If it's some stranger saying that people with my cognitive preference are erratic, evil, immature, self centered, narcissistic, double faced yadda yadda I would say, yes I do not concur with that point of view. Maybe Nardi can do his next set of EEGs to find out wether there's evidence of INFJs being childish evasive narcissists prone to doorlamming. I don't exactly know how that can be studied but maybe some of you can figure it out.
I mean now the INFJ definition is like this usually:

INFJ Theme
For Foreseer Developers, life is a process of never-ending personal growth, their own and others’. If something does not produce personal growth, then it is not truly worthwhile. If it does, then it is indeed worth all the effort it takes to make that growth happen. They enjoy problem solving in ways that sustain the vision they have of what can be and who we can become. They devote their lives to honoring the gifts of others, helping them to see what those gifts are and to find a way to develop those gifts

Taking a meaningful and creative approach to all aspects of life is essential to their well-being. This gives them the inner strength to allow others the space to be themselves and make the choices they make. It is then that their talent for foreseeing becomes painful. The hard part is that sometimes people don’t want to hear all the insights they have to offer.
By Linda V. Berens Ph.D. and Dario Nardi Ph.D.
http://www.careerplanner.com/Berens-Nardi/INFJ-Themes-Relationships.cfm

...whereas judging by this thread and all the INFJ induced horror and destruction witnessed by the "INFJs are doorslammer" advocates the Ni-Fe-Ti-Se function preference seems to have much more sinister implications... Should we be secluded from society as we perpetrate 100% of unwanted relationship communication breakups, though we're a mere 1,5% of the population??? :notthechildren:
...now that I really think about it I think judging by all the evidence most people I know who I have witnessed abruptly end a relationship with minimal excuse because of them perceiving the other as "behaving inappropriately" is actually due to large scale mistyping. they're all INFJs. even the ones who don't want to be.

It isn't about leaving, it's about how you leave.

If you are in a close every day relationship with someone, do you have the courage and reapect for the other person to meet with that person before disappearing? Ay least some of the time a door slammer door slams for wrong reasons or impulsively.

It isn't all about you. Relationships of all kinds are about two people.

If I meet someone new and we go out once or a few times and I am not intersted, I tell the other person, especially when i think they are interested. I don't just ignore them so they get a hint. That's ridiculous. It's passive aggressive, unclear, and self absorbed. Courage, respect, human decency.

BalanceFind

I tend not to say much about people who are out of my life, to others. I think it causes problems especially if there are mutual friends and such. And I am aware that my take on the situation may not be 100% representative of how the other person thinks or feels. I can't read their minds, and even if I talked to them, I still wouldn't know. I don't trust many people's words much any more, especially those I've fallen out with.

She did exacty what you are saying. She barely mentioned me to our friends there. She is very private. I had our friends contact her and mention me. i did this because she owes me a lot of money. But I would have done it anyway. We did not have any major problems of which I knew. Just some added life stress not caused by each other. Nothing more. The added bonus information is what she tells them about me or us.

That is correct you cannot read minds and neither can anyone else.

Some infj's think they are clear when they aren't. Some assume the other person knows what's bothering you when they don't. And when they don't some infj's are upset that the non infj couldn't read their mind. This is some not all. But it happens. Therefore a better communication approach is desired and would be more effective for all.

Maybe that person doesn't trust you either, especially after a door slam. Why not tell the person i don't trust you, and why. Have a dialogue for clarity.

Starry

What I meant was that I and from what I've gathered other INFJs are pretty sensitive to noticing underlying dynamics in groups and relationships...when other's are lying or when there's foul play. That's what I meant. That's why the type descriptions usually mention that type of thing in them. "The almost supernatural ability to read people" yadda yadda...The reports for companies mentioning INFJs as being some kind of barometers for the general atmosphere in teams because we're the first to notice disharmony.
I would say generally it's accurate and basically just a general talent or ability, like ENFPs generally having talent for creative thinking or acting (neurological studies show activity in a part of the brain which is responsible for the ability to mimic). It's just natural disposition. I don't think it makes anyone infallible. I'm totally guilty of sometimes reading too much into a simple situation. But then again there are often times I am right, when someone seems shady and they turn out to do something harmful. at work I'm very aware of how people group together and how those groups relate. If there's friction I feel like I'm in a pressure cooker because I'm much more sensitive to it than most people.
Obviously the man just had poor judgement if that's the case. Maybe he projected his fears unto you. That's very sad.

Yah... I guess I'm just not all that big on these kinds of type descriptions. I believe they are often misleading...and may, in fact, cause some individuals to come to inaccurate conclusions about themselves (positive and negative). But that's just me.

What's weird about 'me and the doorslam'...is that I'm not even against it! Seriously! Even after having my life terribly effected by one. I don't want Mane and BalanceFind to come after me here...but outside of a variety of criminal behaviors...I am a firm believer in...'People gotta do what people gotta do'. I just feel uncomfortable when others start to imply that an INFJ might doorslam because they are 'seers' of sorts. (and so here we will just disagree which is cool).

PS. I'm fairly sure my INFJ believed he was a 'seer'. But he was always wrong. I was actually the individual that could nail down exactly what was going on in a interpersonal/social situation. Likewise...I can't act or mimic worth shit. But man...my INFJ...he could have been an Acadamy Award receipent had he gone in that direction!!!