• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] When an INFJ doorslams you / cuts you out of their life / breaks off contact

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hi StarryKnights. Sorry about this sad series of events that have happened to you. I think it is beautiful that you forgive your friend and think he is special enough to let back into your life. As a doorslammin' prone INFJ, that is remarkable to me.

If your INFJ friend is like me, I see a possibility that he feels burdened, not only by what he allowed to transpire, but the prospect of your expectations (or what he perceives them to be). This is difficult for me to explain, but sometimes I feel so burdened by what I think I ought to be providing to people and my own failure to do it right that I freeze and just withdraw. Its strange and it happens over things that are quite small. Thought process: "Oh, I neglected to send someone that correspondence that I meant to send, well, now its too late, I've screwed up and its so shameful and rather than make some pathetic excuse which they will reject, I won't write them, they probably don't think of me anyway" Sadly, I think it is my perfectionist tendency manifesting in a unhealthy way. :( So, if your INFJ friend is coming from this same frame of mind, I think you have the right idea on how to reach him. I'm not sure how you have reached out thus far, but the "let bygones be bygones" approach might do the trick. I would let him know how much he means to you. Not sure why, but sometimes we have a weak concept of how much we mean to others. If you could let him know that and then carry on as things were before, without any heavy melodrama or drawn out confrontation, he might come around. Then maybe in time he will be able to give you the apology you deserve. In a way it is a bit like coaxing a shy animal. If you have the patience and love to do all this, bless you, you are an amazing friend.

Well said, I personally think that most if not all INFJs just want to feel that we are worth the effort of trying hard to get to us, we want to be found even when we dont want to be found.

My advice to her would be to keep trying. Hang in there.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I’ve experienced a ‘different kind’ of INFJ doorslam. Or at least a version that I haven’t found ‎an example of anywhere.‎

My INFJ doorslammed me for something he thought I did (but didn’t do). And since I knew the ‎truth would eventually come out I just waited. Yet when I could tell from his behavior that he ‎finally ‘got’ that I was innocent…nothing really changed.‎

In other words, I’m still shut-out…it is now in just a ‘less aggressive way’... I understand he is embarrassed and ashamed…and believe me…I was pissed. But I’m ENFP. I ‎honestly can’t be pissed for all that long.

I’ve tried to reach out to him…and nothing – no response.

StarryKnights, I'm so glad you posted this. I've had a similar situation with a male INFJ I know. He was in the wrong. But when this came to light, he didn't re-initiate contact which completely baffles me.

I was so hurt by his doorslamming. It took me a long time to get the courage to risk making very subtle (and perhaps some not-so-subtle) overtures. Nothing. Absolutely nothing from him... which makes no sense to me.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I see a possibility that [your INFJ] feels burdened, not only by what he allowed to transpire, but the prospect of your expectations (or what he perceives them to be). This is difficult for me to explain, but sometimes I feel so burdened by what I think I ought to be providing to people and my own failure to do it right that I freeze and just withdraw. Its strange and it happens over things that are quite small. Thought process: "Oh, I neglected to send someone that correspondence that I meant to send, well, now its too late, I've screwed up and its so shameful and rather than make some pathetic excuse which they will reject, I won't write them, they probably don't think of me anyway" So,

If you could let him know that and then carry on as things were before, without any heavy melodrama or drawn out confrontation, he might come around. Then maybe in time he will be able to give you the apology you deserve. In a way it is a bit like coaxing a shy animal. If you have the patience and love to do all this, bless you, you are an amazing friend.

Vasilisa, this is very insightful, and makes me think of my male INFJ friend... well, I guess he's not a friend anymore. I wish I had heard these words 18 months ago when all my drama with him went down. <Sigh.>

I still would like to be friends with my INFJ. I see so much potential for a wonderful friendship there. But so much time has passed. I feel like it's best to wait until circumstance throw us together. And, when they do, I'll remember your words here. I am still heartbroken when I think that this miscommunication hindered what could have been a great, great, great friendship.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would let him know how much he means to you. Not sure why, but sometimes we have a weak concept of how much we mean to others. If you could let him know that and then carry on as things were before, without any heavy melodrama or drawn out confrontation, he might come around. Then maybe in time he will be able to give you the apology you deserve. In a way it is a bit like coaxing a shy animal. If you have the patience and love to do all this, bless you, you are an amazing friend.

I understand he is embarrassed and ashamed…and believe me…I was pissed. But I’m ENFP. I ‎honestly can’t be pissed for all that long. ‎ ‎

Something I’ve noticed about myself and a few other Js is that it can be really difficult for us to shift dynamics with someone according to new information. I think this might be particularly true of INFJs. Since our praxis of thought is far more in our heads than in the present moment (constantly taking into account past experiences of a person, as well as the individualized potential we’ve constructed about that person), it takes a while for information derived from the present moment to get incorporated into how we feel about him/her. We can be certain of it 'logically', but for some reason it doesn't quite seep into our feeling right away. And when the new information strongly contradicts what we thought we knew (especially if the person is/was close to us), it can take awhile to adequately process. So I think what Vasilisa wrote is really sound advice: let him know he’s important and carry on as things were before, without any heavy melodrama or drawn out confrontation. Any melodrama or drawn out confrontation just hinders the process because it’s throwing more information to process onto an already full ‘inbox’.

I also think Vasilisa’s point about having a weak concept of how much we mean to others is a good one. In the past, I’ve ended up avoiding certain people simply because they gave me too much contradictory information to process and it didn’t seem like it would be worth the effort it would take to get back on the same page with them. But if I’m told it’s important to the other person- that's often all the encouragment I need for it to become important to me as well.

flylittlefeather

MBTI Type
IN?P
Hello, my lovely INFJs (and others)!!

Can I ask for advice, too?

I met my INFJ, who is in his 40s, in a composition class year. He wooed me, and asked me to be his one and only, and so I was for 7 months. We picked flowers and played piano duets. About halfway into the relationship, I had to move across the country for grad school, but we agreed a long-distance relationship was worth it.

We broke up a few days before Valentine's Day. He did it via e-mail. There were various factors - and it was precipitated by an intense argument - but he stated his main reason was that he couldn't handle the stress of high expectations. Then, like a mist he dissipated, invisible to contact of any kind.

I wrote to him in April. It wasn't fair to abandon a friendship, I told him. He replied with a strange request: Tell me why you want to be my friend?

It felt like a test, or a job interview, or a riddle with only one answer. In the middle of my pondering, he sent me another e-mail with all the reasons we shouldn't be friends, but I tried to answer the riddle anyway. His responded by saying he "did not want to strive for friendship."

He hasn't responded to anything since that day. The door has been deadbolted.

Here is what troubles me, and perhaps baffles other types as well. Just when I understand how to make our friendship better - because he tells me what I did wrong - he disappears. I want to show him I care, and that I understand him, but how do I do that for a disappeared person? Is there really nothing I can do? I want to take responsibility. I want to make things better! sigh.

I'm going home for the summer, and I hear he'll be taking the same class I planned on taking. This prospect buoys and daunts me.

I dream of talking to him again - I miss his friendship so much. But would an approach be seen as disrespectful? I'm such a ball of confusion. This is one of those cases where "put yourself in their shoes" doesn't work. The ways that I would like to be cared seem to be, time after time, totally wrong.

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
Something I’ve noticed about myself and a few other Js is that it can be really difficult for us to shift dynamics with someone according to new information. I think this might be particularly true of INFJs. Since our praxis of thought is far more in our heads than in the present moment (constantly taking into account past experiences of a person, as well as the individualized potential we’ve constructed about that person), it takes a while for information derived from the present moment to get incorporated into how we feel about him/her. We can be certain of it 'logically', but for some reason it doesn't quite seep into our feeling right away. And when the new information strongly contradicts what we thought we knew (especially if the person is/was close to us), it can take awhile to adequately process. So I think what Vasilisa wrote is really sound advice: let him know he’s important and carry on as things were before, without any heavy melodrama or drawn out confrontation. Any melodrama or drawn out confrontation just hinders the process because it’s throwing more information to process onto an already full ‘inbox’.

I also think Vasilisa’s point about having a weak concept of how much we mean to others is a good one. In the past, I’ve ended up avoiding certain people simply because they gave me too much contradictory information to process and it didn’t seem like it would be worth the effort it would take to get back on the same page with them. But if I’m told it’s important to the other person- that's often all the encouragment I need for it to become important to me as well.[/
QUOTE]

I agree with Vasilisa here as well, and am thinking about the difference between J and P in this regard. With a good friend (we are both Ps), we found ourselves in a situation that could have caused a serious rift in our friendship had there been confrontation. Instead he carried on as before and so did I. I remembered our friendship, all that we have given each other, and assumed he felt the same. I felt he and I would just forgive and forget over time (it was just one incident) and that's what happened. Because we are both Ps I feel we were comfortable having patience with one another and trusting that time and new information would shed a different light on things. Neither of us have a need for closure so that helped.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wrote to him in April. It wasn't fair to abandon a friendship, I told him. He replied with a strange request: Tell me why you want to be my friend?

It felt like a test, or a job interview, or a riddle with only one answer. In the middle of my pondering, he sent me another e-mail with all the reasons we shouldn't be friends, but I tried to answer the riddle anyway. His responded by saying he "did not want to strive for friendship."

He hasn't responded to anything since that day. The door has been deadbolted.

Here is what troubles me, and perhaps baffles other types as well. Just when I understand how to make our friendship better - because he tells me what I did wrong - he disappears. I want to show him I care, and that I understand him, but how do I do that for a disappeared person? Is there really nothing I can do? I want to take responsibility. I want to make things better! sigh.

If you were previously in a romantic relationship, and that ended, that complicates things - it's not as cut and dry as just getting doorslammed. It seems he does not desire to transition into a friendship, or doesn't believe it is possible. Kind of what I wrote earlier, I have pretty black and white designations of my relationships - friend, romance, etc. I've never successfully had a Romance turn into a Friend, although I have tried.

To be honest, once romances have ended, I'm not one of those people who can really remain friends afterwards. I completely want to move on -- I do not want any vestige of an emotional attachment remaining. Even if we had been super close, and if I do miss the companionship, for me to continue on as friends is simply painful, even if I know there's no longterm compatibility. It just keeps me kinda stuck in the past. I dunno, I can't articulate this very well. Bottom line, the only way for me to really move on is to throw them out completely. I really can't be friends, nor have I ever believed, in the end, that male/female friendships are entirely possible or easy, esp. if both are single -- one almost always secretly desires more.

I dream of talking to him again - I miss his friendship so much. But would an approach be seen as disrespectful? I'm such a ball of confusion. This is one of those cases where "put yourself in their shoes" doesn't work. The ways that I would like to be cared seem to be, time after time, totally wrong.

I can empathize with your missing the friendship, and him, a lot. But, that's just your view of things. While he may miss elements of your relationship, it doesn't seem he wants to continue having you in his life, and has made that pretty clear - he told you didn't want to strive for a friendship. That's your answer. Until and unless he opens that door again, it sounds like he's made his decision, as much as I know it's not the decision you're wanting.

Quiet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Flylittlefeather, there are some things that INFJ's can't tollerate, one of them being the thought of someone feeling hurt by something that we deep down feel responsible for. Its possible he feels a friendship would likely be hard for you. If he wrote you a list of things he felt you did wrong, he probably has formed a decision about you by analyzing your choices of thought, word or deed. This is where it's at for him now, and he probably feels unhappy in his own way, but knows that cutting ties is for the best. Sad as it may seem, (and I don't know the details obviousely) he's probbably right with his decision. I'm going to speak for myself when I say this as I'm going to share this from personal experience, it sounds similar to a brief relationship I had with an INFP once. There was distance involved, and despite how well we got on, when I started noticing little things that bothered me about him, I slowly backed away. And that was it. He was very hurt and angry and I felt aweful. He wanted to know what he did wrong, but I had already dropped hints about my feeling I needed my space due to being a strong introvert. This stressed him out and I began to feel guilty but I wasn't able or willing to have constant interraction in some form, like he needed to have with me. He wanted to be friends, but I sensed he would be a "sad" friend, and I'd know why he was sad. In short, he texted me finally telling me I "had to grow up and learn to communicate like an f**cking adult" and that was it! I'm not suggesting you've done anything like this, I'm just trying to explain that once we have determined something isn't good in the view of the big picture, then that is it. Please try not to take his behavior to heart, it is only a reflection of him, not of you. I hope my post didn't make you feel worse, just more clear.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
This song belongs to INFJs and the people they door slam..:cry:

How do I know? I blame my Ne and Ni

The Cave

It's empty in the valley of your heart
The sun, it rises slowly as you walk
Away from all the fears
And all the faults you've left behind

The harvest left no food for you to eat
You cannibal, you meat-eater, you see
But I have seen the same
I know the shame in your defeat

But I will hold on hope
And I won't let you choke
On that noose around your neck
And I'll find strength in pain
And I will change my ways
I'll know my name as it's called again

Cause I have other things to fill my time
You take what is yours and I'll take mine
Now let me at the truth
Which will refresh my broken mind

So tie me to a post and block my ears
I can see widows and orphans through my tears
I know my call despite my faults
And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope

So come out of your cave walking on your hands
And see the world hanging upside down
You can understand dependence
When you know the maker's land

So make your siren call
And sing all you want
I will not hear what you have to say

Cause I need freedom now
And I need to know how
To live my life as it's meant to be

And I will hold on hope

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Just wanted to shout out to you beautiful people, this thread has been really helpful to me. So, THANK YOU!

Starry

Well said, I personally think that most if not all INFJs just want to feel that we are worth the effort of trying hard to get to us, we want to be found even when we dont want to be found.

My advice to her would be to keep trying. Hang in there.

Billy - Thanks so much for the encouragement. I need it and appreciate it very much. Ahhh...yah this is way outside of 'what I am used to' with regards to my interpersonal relationships. And I'm doing everything in my power not to make assumptions. The advice, support, encouragement I have found here has helped me more than I can express. Again, thank you so much.

Starry

StarryKnights, I'm so glad you posted this. I've had a similar situation with a male INFJ I know. He was in the wrong. But when this came to light, he didn't re-initiate contact which completely baffles me.

I was so hurt by his doorslamming. It took me a long time to get the courage to risk making very subtle (and perhaps some not-so-subtle) overtures. Nothing. Absolutely nothing from him... which makes no sense to me.

Hello Esoteric Wench. Oh believe me...I feel your pain. And sometimes I still feel it. When I first realized I was shut-out, however, I was so in shock I actually didn't feel anything. I sorta took it day by day...walking around in a daze...waiting for the truth of the matter to come out.

I guess a huge part of my pain was expecting him to do what I would have done had the roles been reversed. If I had falsely accused someone of something they didn't do...okay...well that would never happen really because I don't believe a thing about anyone until I see it, feel it, experience it, etc. myself. But if, for whatever reason, I doubted a friend in any regard I would speak to them directly about it.

For the sake of this story: If I doubted a friend, gave them a good doorslammin, gave them those 'you are a pathetic little person' stares whenever I silently passed...AND THEN found out I was in the wrong?? OH MY GOD...I promise you the earth would cease to revolve!!! And I would be spending the rest of my life doing everything in my power to make up for the hurt I caused that person. Nothing would be impossible from that point on. Seriously, if becoming an Olympic athelete would somehow help this person...I would become an Olympic athelete in spite of age, out-of-shapeness, a bad back...smoking (yes I took up smoking again).

All I needed was a sincere 'I'm so sorry' for it to be done with. And when that never came...ouch. I've never experienced anything that even borders on this. Now when he sees me...I'll get a long, sad look...and nothing else. Oh yah - this kind pain - wouldn't wish it on anyone. It feels like being rejected at the 'soul' level...twice. It feels like 'you and your friendship don't matter enough to me to make an effort'.

I am doing everything I can to remain open-minded to the fact that not everyone behaves in the same way or in a way that I will find 'most desirable' (as ENFP I actually do this naturally, yet once my ego took a beating I did start thinking things like 'no one would do this to a friend!!!' etc.) Hey, I've been wanting to learn how to 'love better'...and I must say this situation is teaching me a lot...with regards to accepting another as a whole person...and not just the parts I like :blush:

Starry

Something I’ve noticed about myself and a few other Js is that it can be really difficult for us to shift dynamics with someone according to new information. I think this might be particularly true of INFJs. Since our praxis of thought is far more in our heads than in the present moment (constantly taking into account past experiences of a person, as well as the individualized potential we’ve constructed about that person), it takes a while for information derived from the present moment to get incorporated into how we feel about him/her. We can be certain of it 'logically', but for some reason it doesn't quite seep into our feeling right away. And when the new information strongly contradicts what we thought we knew (especially if the person is/was close to us), it can take awhile to adequately process.

In the past, I’ve ended up avoiding certain people simply because they gave me too much contradictory information to process and it didn’t seem like it would be worth the effort it would take to get back on the same page with them. But if I’m told it’s important to the other person- that's often all the encouragment I need for it to become important to me as well.

Z Buck hello - and thank you as well for sharing your insights. You are another one of the wise individuals here that I have 'turned to' by reading what you contribute on this forum. They have been very helpful - always. As is what you write above.

I do think he struggles to keep up with me and some of my contradictions. I know I struggle to keep up with his. But I don't judge him the way I feel, especially now, he judges me. I do feel sometimes that he is attempting to 'assign' me to some 'space' in his mind...which would be okay I imagine if I felt like the 'assignment' was based on an accurate interpretation of who I am. When I say that though I have already been influenced by the thought that he believed me capable of doing this thing (not a terrible thing but still not even remotely in-line with my values as I would think he would know) that I would never do. I'm still having to come to grips with that. Uh...does he know me? Who have I been hanging out with all this time?

Anyway, there are times I feel we are the same person. And there are times I feel it is the first time he has met me. That's always odd. Maybe it is during those times he is in that space that you are discussing in your post (between thinking and incorporating it into feeling). There are times he seems to respond well to kinds words from me. And there are times I think he finds them suspect.

I know I am complex...but I am not unknowable...and I am a very good person. Always have been. Yes...as INFJ...I often wonder why he doesn't always see/know/intuit that. Sorry I'm rambling a bit. Time for bed. Thank you again Z.

Permabanned
All I needed was a sincere 'I'm so sorry' for it to be done with. And when that never came...ouch. I've never experienced anything that even borders on this.
:cheese:

Now when he sees me...I'll get a long, sad look...and nothing else. Oh yah - this kind pain - wouldn't wish it on anyone. It feels like being rejected at the 'soul' level...twice. It feels like 'you and your friendship don't matter enough to me to make an effort'.

I am doing everything I can to remain open-minded to the fact that not everyone behaves in the same way or in a way that I will find 'most desirable' (as ENFP I actually do this naturally, yet once my ego took a beating I did start thinking things like 'no one would do this to a friend!!!' etc.) Hey, I've been wanting to learn how to 'love better'...and I must say this situation is teaching me a lot...with regards to accepting another as a whole person...and not just the parts I like :blush:

This is probably the only thing left/worth doing. As others have said, shutting doors it's often a ill and permanent choice, not matter what the truth may be, including acknoledgment or neglecting of. Maybe Ni does see it all, even beyond consciousness, and all that is left to do is to grasp where the finger is pointing.

Otherwise it feels like being stuck in the past forever. Even Ps need/want closure. But noone is really responsible for what another person wants or needs... :cry::steam::doh:

Starry

:cheese:
This is probably the only thing left/worth doing. As others have said, shutting doors it's often a ill and permanent choice, not matter what the truth may be, including acknoledgment or neglecting of. Maybe Ni does see it all, even beyond consciousness, and all that is left to do is to grasp where the finger is pointing.

Otherwise it feels like being stuck in the past forever. Even Ps need/want closure. But noone is really responsible for what another person wants or needs... :cry::steam::doh:

Hello phobik –

I woke up a little earlier today and thought it would be a good idea to quickly log on and reread what I posted last night as I was tired and expected there would be some editing to do (yah, I’m a ‘word omitter’ and can often read a sentence I wrote as if the word is there and the sentence is complete - until I read it again with a fresh pair of eyes – weird).

But I may have done more than omitting a word here and there. I may have created a bunch of nonsense and confusion with my ramblings as I am having a bit of trouble understanding your response to me – but would really like to. I’m sure I sound like a broken record (whoa – that is such a dated phrase come to think of it)…but I really mean it when I say how grateful I am when someone takes the time to comment on these threads as I learn so much from them.

After reading some of the posts from Esoteric Wench and flylittlefeather, I admit I felt a little sorry for myself. And I’m sure a part of that came through in what I wrote. But I hope you don’t think I’m pointing a perpetual finger at my INFJ friend – oh gosh no. Like I tried to convey in an earlier post – my INFJ friend is the gentlest of spirits and good to the core. Was my ego bruised by his recent behavior towards me?…yah…but I’m actually glad to be getting this lesson because it is causing me to strive for a whole new understanding of people and not just INFJs. My ego is ‘in check’ and I’m happy with myself that I didn’t allow it to make assumptions and/or jump to hasty conclusions about the true nature of my friend based solely on his current outward behavior…but lead me here and to expanding my understanding of how I want to love and the type of friend I want to be (if that makes sense).

Believe me when I say – I know what it feels like to have my behavior taken the wrong way. Is it the case we are held to a certain ‘SJ’ or ‘male’ or ‘professional’ standard of conduct? So that any action/reaction that deviates from that standard is subsequently perceived as being eccentric or outstanding in some way? I’ve felt that as my natural self goes against the ‘social norm’ each and every day it seems. With my INFJ I believe my mind thought to reverse that same process. Observe the behavior and then arrive at its meaning based on a ‘social norm’ which is not what I want to do. Doing that the only conclusion I could really arrive at is that he despises me. But my heart knows that isn’t true. Okay…I’m really ‘thinking aloud’ here and while I appreciate having the opportunity to do so…I also don’t want to put people to sleep!!

Anyway, I wasn’t able to understand the parts you bolded from my quote. And I wasn’t quite sure what you were saying with regards to the parts I bolded in yours. Again, I would be interested in learning from you…if you get a chance to clarify.

What I gathered from the input so kindly provided to me here was to make sure he understands that he is a hugely important part of my life...that he has not failed me…and to be patient, constant and light-hearted as oppose to pushy, emotionally changeable and melodramatic. This makes perfect sense to me…and is very much aligned with what I know he needs in a friend. I’m not looking for closure. Not once did I ever get the feeling this was a permanent door slam. Which is also why I came here. I needed to know how to be a good friend when the door cracks open a bit and he is looking through about eight of those little chain thingies (okay I’m quite certain that made no sense whatsoever).

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
In my original post which started this thread, I talked about how I have been hurt and baffled by INFJ doorslamming. I had NO idea that this would become such a well-read and well-debated topic. As of this post, there have been 115 responses and 5,445 views. Obviously, this is a topic of much interest to the readers of this forum. And, I think this is evidence that INFJ doorslamming is the source of much miscommunication between INFJs and the non-INFJs in their lives.

Now seems the time to take a moment and summarize what I’ve learned from this thread so far.

What is Doorslamming?
Doorslamming occurs when an INFJ cuts off contact with someone in their acquaintance. It is my observation that INFJs are more likely (in comparison with the other 15 personality types) to engage in doorslamming.

Doorslamming Takes Many Forms
This is a complicated issue that cannot be understood with a single, pat answer. Doorslamming may or may not be a permanent break in contact. And, INFJs may or may not feel guilty about doorslamming someone. But whatever the form or feeling, breaking off contact with people is a natural way for INFJs to handle <insert the INFJ’s reason here>.

Doorslamming Is Hard for non-INFJs to Understand
I think that one of the most difficult aspects of being an INFJ is the inherent contradiction in cognitive functions all INFJs experience. It’s like they are being pulled in different directions by their INFJ-ness. I’ve often thought that being an INFJ was a tough card to be dealt. But the ones that overcome the inherent obstacles in their INFJ-ness are truly amazing people.

Ni versus Fe. INFJs feel a need to connect with other people. And, yet they can be overwhelmed by the very connections they seek. They must be in contact with people and they must be alone to reflect and process. Vicki Jo Varner explains this very well.

For INFJ's, I have often used the metaphor of being up in an "ivory tower," trying to get a glimpse of what's on the horizon. And then, when I activate my extraverted Feeling, I have to run down the steps of that tower in order to get to ground level and connect with people there. (Any time I try calling down from the turret of the tower, people think I'm speaking in "tongues" or I'm spewing incoherent jabberwocky, because it's nearly impossible to eloquently articulate all the complexity I'm seeing.) - from INFJ iNtuition

Even before reading Ms. Varner’s words, I’d used the term shuttlecock to describe this phenomenon. A shuttlecock is tossed back and forth in badminton. So are the psyches of INFJs who are able to see all the permutations in any situation, and yet feel a compelling need to be decisive. As an ENFP, I too am blessed with dominant Intuition. My Ne allows me to see all the connections and all the possibilities in any given situation. But unlike my INFJ mirrors, I don’t feel compelled to decide upon one out of the many. This has got to be really tough for INFJs.

I think it hard for other types to understand these contradictory forces. This is further complicated by the INFJ’s reluctance to be transparent in their thinking. In other words, the people in the INFJ’s life may have no clue regarding pre-doorslamming ruminations until the door has been shut.

INFJs Doorslam for Many Reasons
Many reasons have been given in this thread for why an INFJ will slam the door on someone. I’ve tried to summarize them here:
  • Immorality of the other person. In other words, the INFJ perceives the other person has done something wrong and thus they decide they don't want that person to be in their life anymore.
  • Being Overwhelmed. The INFJ needs to put distance between themselves and the person with whom they experience uncomfortably powerful emotions. I think of my dog that gets overwhelmed with happiness upon seeing me and then has to go hide under the bed. INFJs feel things very intensely and sometimes need to get some distance. (As an ENFP, btw, I understand this very well. I also feel things very intensely. It can be quite overwhelming at times.)
  • Fearing Failure. INFJs feel failure when they hurt other people and when they fail to meet the high expectations they have for themselves. If an INFJ feels they might fail in these areas, cutting off contact with that person seems a viable solution for the INFJ.
  • Kindness. Sometimes the INFJ feels that the kindest thing to do for someone is to cut them loose. Think of the word agape. The INFJ may decide that doorslamming this person to be the kindest thing they can do for them.
  • Sense of closure. INFJs need to have a sense of closure when it comes to their personal relationships. They may ruminate on them, but once they’ve made a decision, the Rubicon has been crossed, so to speak.

Conclusions
Whatever the reason for shutting the door, I’ve come to accept that for INFJs doorslamming is a valid choice... even if it goes against the very essence of my ENFP sensibilities. All INFJs doorslam to some extent. It is a natural choice based on their unique mix of cognitive functions.

But an unhealthy/immature INFJ may engage in doorslamming in maladaptive ways. The real problem comes when the INFJ overindulges in doorslamming. When cutting off contact with another person becomes an easy answer to the complicated process INFJs must undergo to process incoming information and navigate discomfort in their relationships.

I read once that Introverted Intuition is akin to a framework for understanding. Every time new information comes into the INFJ’s psyche, they must reprocess the entire framework to incorporate the new information. This is a very laborious process. Thus, to conserve mental energy, INFJs will sometimes dismiss new information if they judge it’s a rehashing of something they've processed previously. If the INFJ isn’t careful, they will fall into the trap of dismissing outside input too readily.

In other words, some INFJs use Fe to serve the needs of Ni by rejecting new information. A more healthy, balanced approach would be for Fe to judge whether or not the INFJ's framework is still valid given the new information coming in. This takes more mental work, but it is critical for a healthy INFJ.

An INFJ who uses their Fe to serve the needs of their Ni, rather than to check its excesses, will be rigid in their life stance. Such an INFJ may come off as opinionated, dismissive, snobbish, or arrogant. These INFJs see only what they want to see and are sorely lacking in humility.

Thus, these unhealthy INFJs will doorslam people who threaten their framework (aka Ni). (This is just another a way of dismissing outside input isn't it? By killing the messenger?) This is kind of doorslamming is unhealthy, needlessly hurtful, and just plain immature. Not every INFJ does this, but the ones that do need a good kick in the *ss.

Quiet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
The above was probably the best ever descriptions of how and why we function. I don't think I have ever read a better one, thanks for posting this Esoteric Wench.

kccrush

MBTI Type
INFJ
As an INFJ, I think there are many situations where you might need to cut someone off. I do it still and I don't think it's necessarily immature. You might do it to "clean house" - in other words, you notice you have too many friends who are really just acquaintances. So you just stop talking to them to focus on those that matter. This probably confuses them, but it's easier for an INFJ to get back to basics by just focusing on those who matter. And it always makes me feel good to know I'm backing up my main reservoir of friends, the ones who I can rely on to help me in a minute's notice.
Then there is the case where someone wrongs you (or you perceive it in that way). An INFJ needs to learn how to address this with the friend, but for those that haven't learned how to do this, there's the door slam. You need to cut ties to protect yourself. Or at least that's how you feel. You don't keep someone around who isn't good for you. I think INFJs are good at recognizing what's right and wrong for them because we have the J in us. We may ultimately decide that our assessment was wrong though...and that's why we might try to go back. Or not. Just depends on how much we really like that person we shut out. The thing about INFJs is we drown in the gray zone. So we need to make fast assessments. It alleviates stress.

Finally, we'll shut someone out who is a past love. This is pretty common and when it happens it's like an anorexic stopping to consume food. It hurts like hell, and we're so hungry for that person, but were very determined to keep them out. And the act of keeping them out becomes an obsession in itself. Of course, ironically, that's not emotionally good for us either.

I think the healthiest INFJs are the ones with really good healthy support systems. When we have friends who understand us, they can help us stand the gray zone, and not make rash decisions that ultimately we may regret.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Esoteric, your most recent post is really pretty good, I think. I think you've come to a pretty good understanding of INFJ's, the different caveats to this 'doorslamming' concept, and some of the stuff going on behind the scenes - our very cognitive process and way we approach relationships, the world, and our life - that lead to this phenomenon. Bottom line- and I sense that you get this - is that it's a complicated subject. No single explanation for it; pretty nuanced. And, yeah, I think you bring up a good point that our very nature tends to be contradictory (throw Ti on top of NiFe), which can sometimes cause difficulties.

kccrush -- I think you've made a pretty good summary yourself! I relate to much of it.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
The only moments I cut people out is if I feel they have rejected me or cut me out themselves. I do it because I don't think they care to have me in their life anymore. It's just common sense. And it hurts. But that might be a wrong interpretation on my part. It hasn't happened often.