• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Identity and the INFJ...

LiLyLemon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hi all I'm new.

I don't know too much about all this personality typing malarky, but what I do know is my whole life feels like I've been stuck trying to understand myself and my bizarre (in terms of perceived 'norms' of societal expectations) behaviours, and the way I am forever a contradiction.

I like people, for the most part. I am fascinated by them and the way in which they work. I read them almost as if they were books, with pages to be turned and plots or little facts or anecdotes to be mulled over. I have friends who I love, but never feel truly a part of their worlds, or the world for that matter.

I can't be around them for too long though, without it draining me. To be a sounding board for people to off load onto is almost like standing under a shower that's too hot or too cold, and you need to turn it off after a while.

I digress. My big issue here is myself, and my position within the world, well, my world as it were. I never really felt like I fitted in anywhere. Perhaps this is to do with the fact I moved around a lot as a child. Pretty much every year at least. No siblings, dearly longed for one. Iceberg absent father (engineer, most probably INTP.) Beautiful, loving, but neurotic mother who I never felt quite belonged on this planet. (Nurse and often enough an inpatient herself.) Almost angel like, but too fragile for lifes sometimes crushing events.

I look for meaning in everything, even what is seemingly completely irrelevant. I am always seeking answers when I don't even know the questions half the time. Living always with an identity crisis, not feeling comfortable within my own skin.

One of my favourite films is bladerunner. Not only because of the bleak, rainy cinematography juxtaposed with the bright neon lights of china town. Perhaps this attraction to opposites is merely a reflection of the contradictions I see in myself... But, also the whole theme of indentity. Human or replicant? In Rachael's case, not knowing whether she is either. In Roy Batty's, facing up to and accepting his own mortality. Deckard, the realisation that he may in fact be the antithesis to everything he stands for. (A replicant, unwittingly killing off his own kind as they are somehow inferior or expendable, thus realising that perhaps life of ANY kind is not to be wasted or its purpose or potential underestimated.)

It's the intricate symbolism too, which draws me in like a magpie. The origami unicorn, informing Deckard we can but assume, of his true identity.

I type as an INFJ apparently. So I just wanted to say hello to you all, and ask anyones thoughts on this as a whole. P.S. I love the internet. It allows me to say what I want to say with little to no repercussions lol.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
You sound unmistakeably INFJ. Welcome here! Have you read some of the past INFJ threads? You might find some of them interesting in terms of seeing where you do/don't identify.

LiLyLemon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thank you for the welcome Fidelia. Yes, I've read many of the threads, and thought about them extensively. I figure I'm an over-thinker lol. Part of the type?

It is nice to see other opinions from like minded people. I strongly suspect my mother was also an INFJ, but she battled with periods of both mental and physical illness, so I'm not sure what detrimental effects this might have on someone's psyche as a whole. Plus being supposedly a rare type, what is the likelyhood of two in the same family? All chance perhaps.

I look forward to learning from everybody here.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You'll be happy to know there are 6,000,000 other INFJ's on here to bounce ideas off of. You truly struck gold. :laugh:

LiLyLemon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hmmm, am I to assume that we inexplicably swarm and congregate here much to the amusement of others?

Makes sense to me. I don't like phones, or face to face debate much, but I like to exchange opinions. I guess it's a safe haven for INFJ's to crawl out from their shells.:hi:

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Hi there, I put lemon juice in my beer. Welcome.

LiLyLemon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hello Alwar, thanks.

A prime example of how INTP's amuse me with their seemingly random yet highly amusing comments. Is this a case of INFJ finding meaning in everything, including humour in the abstract, (or the literal)?

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
Lily Lemon, I realize this post is quite old now, but I wanted to say that I relate to much of what you wrote...thanks for sharing! :)

somers90

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hi LilyLemon. You sound so much like a close friend, INFJ male. We exchange emails more than we speak to each other face to face. We'd rather text each other than to talk over the phone. Dearest person I know.