User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default NFs and religion

This has probably already been discussed, but the NTs' thread made me curious, sooo ...

• Are you an NF?
    • Are you religious/spiritual?
    • Do you have supernatural/paranormal beliefs?
    • Why do you have these beliefs, or why do you lack them?

I'm a secular humanist, so my answer is "no" to both. But I was raised by and live with hardcore conservative Pentecostal Christians! So of course I ended up becoming a baby-eating, Darwin-worshiping radical liberal materialist atheist. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

How about you?
    Last edited by Cordiform; 11-16-2007 at 12:12 AM.
    I: 53% --- E: 47%
    N: 84% --- S: 16%
    F: 74% -- T: 26%
    P: 84% -- J: 16%

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I am religious/spiritual. I don't have necessarily supernatural beliefs, though, because I find that I can't intellectually commit to them. So I commit to the stories as valuable. Maybe it's a cop-out; it probably is, but it's what I can do right now. I yearn for the God that might as well be there, but that probably isn't literally there.

Things make more sense to me when I go to mass. That's all I really know.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Hello, my name is Heather, and I'm religious.

I also believe in the supernatural/paranormal.

I'm actually a less-than-hardcore, liberal, Pentecostal Christian. (See why we can't find a church? )

The way I feel about my beliefs is mostly comforted and connected. I have my beliefs probably because I was raised with them, they give some structure to the crazy universe, and they resonate with me.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

yea
    more spiritual, probably not religiou. I do believe something put us here, I don''t think it wants to be worship. Just to do the best we can and not harm others.
    They make sense to me.

I forgot my supernatural ones, I don't have any.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Hello, my name is Heather, and I'm religious.
    Why the face? I don't mind!

I also believe in the supernatural/paranormal.

I'm actually a less-than-hardcore, liberal, Pentecostal Christian. (See why we can't find a church? )
    Actually, yes, I can see why you can't find a church. ... D'you think that maybe you're the only liberal Pentecostal out there?

The way I feel about my beliefs is mostly comforted and connected. I have my beliefs probably because I was raised with them, they give some structure to the crazy universe, and they resonate with me.
    Ah ... I turn to science for structure. I find that religion just confuses things for me and makes me feel like there IS no order, and, well - confuses me! I can't fit it in my brain. And I've already got morality under control, so ... I just don't feel like I need it. And all of my internet learnings suggest that that's highly unusual and unnatural for an INFP!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Cordiform View Post
    Why the face? I don't mind!
    The format just seemed a little 12 Steppy And also made me think of the Red Green Show and the Man's Prayer. Yes, my brain is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordiform View Post
    Actually, yes, I can see why you can't find a church. ... D'you think that maybe you're the only liberal Pentecostal out there?
    No, actually, I know I'm not. I'm married to one and some of my other Gen X friends are moving in that direction as well. When I say liberal, I mean politically liberal. I still live mostly like any Evangelical (except for the church part right now) and I'm on board with most of the doctrine, but I am not in favor of forcing Christian prayer into public schools, etc, and I'm in favor of civil unions for both homo- and heterosexuals. I'm pro-life, but I don't think outlawing abortion is the best way to reduce it it at this point. IOW, I don't think that just because I live and believe a certain way my government should force everyone to pretend to follow my beliefs for my comfort and convenience.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

I'm an NF. Spiritual?...Maybe a little. Religious? Well, I don't often think of this stuff. I think religion makes everything more complicated. I believe in myself, and I believe in others. That's enough. No supernatural/paranormal beliefs either..
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    GONE

My voice coach was Pentecostal and I had no idea until she told me. She was very well versed in sacred music and had been the music director for a Lutheran (? don't remember) church. She seemed very modern and hip to me (was maybe 30?) and was in fact a jazz singer. When she told me she was Pentecostal I was surprised, as I only know from 2nd hand observation that Pentecostals are popular in the deep south, where girls have to wear long skirts, etc. My voice coach explained it something along the lines of her parents and household were very Christian but not all that very Pentecostal... something like that.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I think NFs are interested in spirituality because of their affinity with abstract thought. The popular myth is that religion has something to do with spiritualit and people deeply cherish that belief. NFs buy into this one because its valued a great deal by others and suppress their vivid intuition that the two have little in common.

Religion is no more than an instrument of social control. Spirituality is used to support this for the sake of making the tool more efficient.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    I think NFs are interested in spirituality because of their affinity with abstract thought. The popular myth is that religion has something to do with spiritualit and people deeply cherish that belief. NFs buy into this one because its valued a great deal by others and suppress their vivid intuition that the two have little in common.

Religion is no more than an instrument of social control. Spirituality is used to support this for the sake of making the tool more efficient.
    I have little to no understanding of spirituality. Can you expound upon the differences?

I sort of have a vague idea that spirituality in its purest form is pantheism or something of the like ...

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Spirituality may involve perceiving or wishing to perceive life as more important ("higher"), more complex or more integrated with one's world view; as contrasted with the merely sensual.

Many spiritual traditions, accordingly, share a common spiritual theme: the "path", "work", practice, or tradition of perceiving and internalizing one's "true" nature and relationship to the rest of existence (God, creation (the universe), or life), and of becoming free of the lesser egoic self (or ego) in favor of being more fully one's "true" "Self".
    That makes sense!