User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm an ENFP. I don't view myself as religious, but I think I am pretty spiritual. I'm just too questioning for religion. I view religion more of an answer to the questions spirituality poses. However, I think that each person has his or her own answer, so large religious groups don't particularly work.

With the supernatural and paranormal... Gah. I don't know. I have a sort of humanist view I guess in that I think we live our own lives. We make our own decisions and react to influences in our lives. There is no set path, no set right or wrong choice, etc. So even though I'm spiritual, I don't really believe in the supernatural or paranormal occuring on Earth. That is... in the connotative sense "paranormal" and "supernatural" present.

Completely understanding something large or small scale for a brief moment, epiphanies, deja vu, happiness, love. I feel like those... are sort of spiritual, supernatural, magical, what have you.

I was raised Catholic until about 7 or 8 years old. When I was twelve or thirteen we "became" born-again Christian types, which looking back on it, really frustrates me. I remember asking my mom why "mass" was called just church now and why the pastor was married. And why we weren't allowed to pray to Mary anymore and all that.

I got really into it during middle school and was baptised and whatnot, but then eventually I realized that I felt brainwashed. I'm not saying anyone born-again is, but I realized that I wasn't making the decisions I was making. I was succumbing to pressure from the pastor's wife, the praise group leader, my "Sunday school" teacher, my aunt, my cousins, even my mom and dad to some extent.

That's just my issue with introducing children to religion. They're just so impressionable that they'll allow you to make the decisions for them on what to believe. I don't know how I will raise my children in regards to a higher being, but I don't want to make choices for them.

My INFP best friend and I had a three hour long conversation about this. I think this was the best, condense sense I could type out, and it still seems a bit confusing.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    We have thought about trying out a Lutheran church. My impression is that they are good about teaching solid Christian doctrine without being all right-wing about stuff. That sounds nice.

I've thought a lot about the Lutheran church, as well. I wish there was one anywhere close to me. I can't stand this 'other' stuff, so I don't go to church at all.

I grew up in the church, a 'liberal' Church of God, none of this super fundie stuff, a very spiritual place.

I miss it.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Cordiform View Post

• Are you an NF?
    • Are you religious/spiritual?
    • Do you have supernatural/paranormal beliefs?
    • Why do you have these beliefs, or why do you lack them?

How about you?
    Are you an NF?
    Yes, ENFP.

Are you religious/ Spiritual?
    Yes. I am LDS, or mormon if you'd rather.

Do you have supernatural/paranormal beliefs?
    Er. Aren't they kind of the same thing?

Why do you have these beliefs, or why do you lack them?
    The feelings I have about God are too many to limit to a single idea or thought. But if I had to I would say: Love. Gandhi said, "love is the subtlest truth in the universe." I believe in a God of love and openness and acceptance.
    A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labour and there is invisible labour.
    -Victor Hugo

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    I think NFs are interested in spirituality because of their affinity with abstract thought. The popular myth is that religion has something to do with spiritualit and people deeply cherish that belief. NFs buy into this one because its valued a great deal by others and suppress their vivid intuition that the two have little in common.

Religion is no more than an instrument of social control. Spirituality is used to support this for the sake of making the tool more efficient.
    Not to be controversial, but isn't the thought of social control a form of social control? This statement is regurgitated over and over. I would take a deep felt intuitive understanding of love and acceptance over a textbook 'social control quote'. All things are 'social control' so how does this de-validate religion if it de-validates everything else? If nothing has meaning then we just start at the beginning and give meaning to the things that have meaning. Do you follow? Where did you learn this idea? Is it a deep seated, epic and beautiful commentary on society? Maybe. But is it original at all? No, I'm afraid it is as old as religion.
    A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labour and there is invisible labour.
    -Victor Hugo

MBTI
    ENFP

Sorry for three posts... heh.

I find atheism distasteful. I mean any belief that is based upon 'you can't know that that is true. I know with out a shadow of a doubt that it is not true' irks my rationale. If anything be agnostic.
    -Victor Hugo

I grew up in a very hardcore christian family, I was basically bred to be a preacher or missionary.

As soon as my christian bubble that I was living in popped, I saw a whole new world and I liked it way more than the one I grew up in. I haven't formed any new beliefs yet but I have thrown away all the old ones. They just don't fit with what I know now.